“A Great Hotel with a Flawless Location!”

Comfort Suites - Kings Island
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Mason
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Comfort Suites in Mason, OH for two nights as part of a “guys weekend” trip. I was a bit nervous about picking it due to the mixed reviews here on TA. However, the property’s location was perfect for our plans (Kings Island, Zoo, Reds Game, Movies, Etc.) so I went ahead and booked it up. I am very glad to have done so. We had an excellent experience.

Staff was friendly and efficient. We had 4 guys in a two queen bed suite and none of us had any complaints. While I wouldn’t say that the accommodations were “opulent”, they certainly were “professional” and on par with just about every other 3 or 4 star hotel I’ve stayed at. The room was clean and spacious. There were no signs of any wear or tear in our unit (206). The bathroom was very large and had a great showerhead with excellent water pressure and temperature. The air conditioner was cold and forceful. As desired, we managed to turn the room into an igloo pretty quick. The beds were soft and linens were fresh. The room was quite contemporary in its styling. However, it’s probably time for CS to switch out the 70s-inspired gold bedspreads as they simply don’t match the rest of the décor. The room featured a mini-fridge, microwave, flat-screen tv, safe and sofabed in addition to the two queen beds. Though small, the pool was just fine as was the exercise equipment. The free breakfast was great and had a larger selection than I was anticipating. The only negative experience (if you can even call it that) is that when we initially entered our room, it smelled like the carpets & furniture had just been professionally cleaned. We knew this was a good thing and got used to it after just a few moments and were happy that it smelled “clean” instead of the alternative.

As mentioned earlier, this Comfort Suites has just about the best location you could ask for. Exceptionally easy access right off of I-71. The properly is within easy walking distance of half a dozen restaurants and several gas stations. If you look out your window, you can see Kings Island and its rides operating. You can be there in less than 2 minutes! A five minute car ride will get you to even more restaurants, movie theaters and fun. Ten minutes and you are at the zoo. Less than half an hour and you can be in downtown Cincinnati sitting at the ballpark. This hotel is in the middle of it all. We booked several weeks in advance from the official Comfort Suites website and got the room for less than $100 a night. It was a steal if you ask me.

The next time we return for some fun in the Cincinnati area, you can be sure we will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank infinity-x
Tamara C, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites - Kings Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful review. Our number one goal is to give the best customer service possible in order for guests to have a great and enjoyable stay. The best thing about a vacation with family or friends is the memories you build while with them. It is my experience that people don't want to be nickle and dimed to death, have problems getting a good nights sleep, nor stay at a location that lacks the kind of breakfast you want. We try to have something for everyone, keep it new, and in a convenient way both in service and price. We will always strive for this in all that we do. By the end of 2013, we will have an all new bedding program that I am excited for and hope to get it completed sooner than later. Thank you again for making us your Choice in a hotel stay.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites - Kings Island

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Based on reading the reviews, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised. Hotel was not new, but certainly not run down. We stayed here for easy access to the Cincy Tennis tournament. The room was neat and clean. Breakfast was typical and OK and had hot eggs/sausage. We looked for problems and could only say that the sheets were a little thin and could use replacement. Bathroom was clen, but the vanity had a couple cracks around the drain. We will check out hotels on Mason-Montgomery Rd, but will not hesitate staying here again.

Desk staff was helpful and really appreciated having the Tennis Schedule available - nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike S
Tamara C, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites - Kings Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Mike,
First we would like to thank you for staying here with us during the Cincy tennis tournament. It was our pleasure serving you and the other tennis enthusiasts during that busy week! Our staff takes pride in providing those schedules and doing anything else we can to make the tournament that much easier for the guests. Also, thank you for the great review. Our housekeeping works very hard to keep all rooms clean and beyond our set standard. Regarding the vanity, I would like to point out that our hotel was renovated in 2008 on the exterior and interior. Unfortunately, we were not able to get vanities at that time. However, we are currently planning for new vanities this winter to upgrade the room and the guest’s experience. Regarding the bedding, we are currently planning for an all new bedding program by the end of 2013 and we have noted your observation regarding the sheets. We truly appreciate your critique and we are working hard to correct the items you pointed out. We look forward to having you next year and once again, thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was avery nice hotel. Modern and well kept. the staff was friendly and helpful. Check-in was a breeze. We had made reservations in advance through choicehotels.com. The room was clean. The pool looked nice. The breakfast staff and food were the best I have seen in this class of hotel. I would recommend this hotel to friends, and I would stay there again myself, if I am in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! Our front desk staff is trained to make each check-in as quick and efficient for the guest as we can and we appreciate that you took the time to compliment us on this. We strive everyday to make the guest’s experience as great as we possibly can and we hope you are back in the area again soon to see us!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed here previously in past, probably two other times. This time, got in there about 10 pm. Went to go to bed and realized blanket on one bed had a large brown crusty place about the size of a golfs ball-- nasty!!! Then rolled the sofa bed out and found sheets had hair and fresh stains on sheets. Called desk and guy came up and have us a new sheet for sofa. A/C wasn't working right and it was set on 68 degrees but it felt about 75-80 degrees in room. Reported this problem as well. When I checked out, they had given us a 20% discount. Got home next day and realized my son had left a Reds baseball autographed by a Reds player that he got signed night before at a Reds game. I was unaware that he had put the ball in the nightstand to protect it from getting stolen. He did not tell us he did this. We called hotel when we got home and reported this. The hotel guy laughed at us and said the new guests were probably asleep. We called next morning and Manager told us it wasn't found. She called guests in room and they denied finding the ball. Also it was not in lost and found. My guess is the same maids that didn't change out our linens properly were the recipients of a baseball that has upset a young boy!! Hope they can live with their choice!! All I know is that we will never go back there and will discourage everyone we can to stay away from there!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the problems with the room. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to ensure all rooms are properly cleaned before a guest’s arrival. It is unsatisfactory that there were stains and a large brown crusty place on the blanket. We take this very seriously and we are glad you reported it so we could change the bedding for you. For your inconvenience, we took the 20% off of your stay. We take each complaint seriously and do everything possible to make sure each guest is completely satisfied.

In regards to the Reds baseball, I was notified by our night auditor that you called at 12:15am about the baseball. At that time of night, it is too late to call a guest’s room out of courtesy to the guest staying there so he did not call that night. I spoke to the guests the next morning and they did not find the ball in the night stand. We did everything we could to find the missing ball and unfortunately it was not found. I can ensure you that no housekeeper on my staff would ever take such an item from a guest. We are deeply saddened that you feel this way and will continue to take all steps looking forward to make sure our guests needs are taken care of. We hope you reconsider in the future, and if we can do anything for you, please let us know.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had checked into the King's Island Resort which was a total dump. We went next door and the manager got us a room that was 100% better! The price was the same, but the room was so clean. The beds were comfortable, the pool was nice, the breakfast was included and very filling. We wish we would have saved the time and effort by planning to stay here from the start.

Room Tip: If you stay on the front side of the building you can see the fireworks at King's Island at nigh...
1  Thank ArtTurner
Tamara C, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites - Kings Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We are very glad we were able to save the trip for you! It was with great pleasure to have you here to enjoy our hotel. We also appreciate the room tip for future travelers, we hear a lot about how good the view is from the front side of the building and we always try to put our guests there. We look forward to having you back for your future trips to Kings Island, and if we can do anything to assist you, please let us know!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel a couple of nights because we were in town for a wedding. The room was over $130, first off our air conditioner didn't seem to be working. In the morning we figured we would have a nice hot breakfast because of how expensive the hotel was. Not true. Everything was old and stale. The eggs were crusty and hard, the bagels were stale, and the orange juice was watered down. We didn't eat there the next morning. The shower had hair in it from the previous stay. When checking out we weren't able to use the fast check out because no one answered the phone. We checked out and the lady looked really hung over and not happy. She gave us a "goodie" bag with apples, water, and granola bars. The apples were rotten. I would never stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank mallyelaine

I would like to apologize for your unpleasant stay here. We work hard to make sure every guest is happy and their needs are taken care of. Regarding the price of the hotel, our average summer rate of $129 is competitive with the other hotels in the area. The location, in relation to Kings Island is reflected in the prices. I am sorry to hear you did not like our breakfast, our breakfast staff works hard to make sure fresh food is out there for our guests throughout the morning. I can tell you that our food is always fresh, we check dates and have written daily logs in our kitchen to ensure all food is maintained at the proper temperatures and to make sure we rotate the food to avoid stale items. Our Grab N Go Bags are dated and inspected daily to make sure there are no rotten fruits in them. Regardless, we take responsibility for your bad experience and have taken note of each one of your critiques so that they will not happen to a future guest. If we can do anything to earn your trust back for a future stay, please contact us because we would like to show you what a truly great hotel we are and make all the wrongs you listed right.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We spent July 2-4 here for a short trip with our young kids to Kings Island. I had really looked for another place with a separate room for the kids and maybe a hot tub but couldn't find anything as close to Kings Island. So the location of this hotel and the fact that we had young kids made this hotel the winner when it came to booking.

CHECK IN- was VERY quick, 30 seconds maybe, and the clerk for friendly. We had room 127, on the the lower floor. About 4 rooms down from the pool, and near a side exit door, which we liked. We walked to dinner across the street that night to Ruby Tuesday and I would highly recommend if it you stay at this hotel.

POOL - After dinner the kids an I went to the pool. My kids had fun at the pool despite that there were at least 8 kids diving in from all over the place while parents watched. The pool is small, but okay as long as people are being safe. We stayed there so long that we soon had the pool to ourselves and the kids slept great that night. The second night I went in with them after a day a KI , and it felt great. There are enough places to sit and watch the kids. Towels were plentiful, and restocked during busy times.

BREAKFAST - Your average hotel breakfast. It was adequate and had waffles, juice, toasts , bagels, oatmeal, muffins, cereal and fruits. The first day there were sausage patties and what was supposed to be maybe an omelet hotel style, eggs folded over with cheese in the middle. The next morning there was ham and eggs. My husband and I turned that into a "mcmuffin" .

ROOMS - The rooms had a larger fridge than I expected , microwave, and a newer style panasonic tv. Large bathroom that made me think we received a handicapped room, I did have plenty of space to hang things to dry. The desk was large and the desk chair was comfortable.

WORN ! I need to get this across. The rooms are worn. They were adequate for our stay but worn. The yellow bedspread has white piping, that is more of a dirty white now. The carpets are worn. The lampshade was dirty. The couch in our room seemed like it needed it's fabric cleaned. The seating in the breakfast area including the chair cushions and the couches near the t.v.'s either need to be replaced, or at the least professionally cleaned. They have a light layer of dirt appearance to them. The doors were just old looking to the bathroom. I blame none of this on the employees because the rooms were clean. Choice Hotels if you are reading this, this hotel is in a very busy tourist area, you would do your guests a favor by updating the hotel.

NOISE - Room 127 on the bottom floor, is connected to room 125. I would only EVER recommend this hotel room if you like to gamble, or if you rent room 125 as well. During our first night after we had all gone to sleep, there was very loud talking around 11:30 pm. Kids running around and screaming, people talking loudly and banging things, people just being plain rude for what time it was. My kids would have had marching orders of silence and to get into bed. My husband said something to the front desk. I have no idea if the people in room 125 were spoken to about the problem. In part, I blame the connected doors to our rooms. There is a door on our side that needs unlocked, and a door in room 125 that needs unlocked. Sound travels. The second night we were awoken again in the middle of the night by a child's tantrum. The adults were trying to calm the child this time and finally everything quieted down. You can hear stomping above you. It wasn't too bad for us, but it was there.

My husband didn't like the beds. He tossed and turned all night. My back hurt the second night. He also didn't like the pillows. He compared them to a pillow you might have had since the 7th grade. I would say they give each person two, and to be comfortable, you need the two. The blankets smelled heavily of bleach. Which is good and bad depending on how you look at it. Housekeeping was attentive and asked us if we wanted our room cleaned on day two since we had the do not disturb sign up.

I very much liked the location, our kids were tired and we came back in the middle of a very hot day at the park to recharge. We had good restaurants around us, and the clerks were friendly and attentive. I just hope they get updated soon. It's clear this was another hotel at one point based on some of the earlier TA pictures. I have no idea how there was ever a kitchen in these rooms. They were just big enough for 4 of us as far as changing and relaxing.

I would recommend Marco's Pizza in that area. We ordered online and paid online and they delivered quickly, and it was really, really good. We found a coupon code online and got a deal on it as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a non connecting room to avert noise problems. Rooms 125, and 127 connect if you need conne...
1  Thank btravel93