“Much cleaner and nicer but much higher priced too.”

Best Western Plus University Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Marion
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at this building in as many years. Each time it's been a different branded name. In 2011, it was Super 8, last year in was the Magnuson, and now it's a Best Western. Is this latest brand here to stay?

There has been a noticeable improvement in cleanliness and amenities over my last visit. Last year there was obvious signs of neglect: Dirty carpet in corridors, a broken ice machine, etc. All of that is gone now. The corridors are bright and clean and the rooms are very clean and comfortable, with nicer beds, better lighting and and a much bigger TV. They have a hot breakfast. The hotel seems to be in line with the "Plus" line of Best Western.

But all this comes at a greater cost. At $95 (and that's with AAA) I paid almost double what I did last year. (I did use a Travel Saver Coupon last year but couldn't even find one this time).

Most of the other hotels in Marion are charging the same rate - $95 to $100 AAA including taxes - so the rate is competitive for the area. The trouble is that there are no really affordable and safe hotels in Marion anymore. I just wanted a no-frills hotel that was clean and quiet. I would have gladly sacrificed that larger TV and bigger beds for about a $25 dollar reduction in rate.

I did have a couple of other issues: The blankets were still skimpy like they were last year (I prefer a cooler room with thicker blankets) and they charged $1 for the local newspaper. You would think that after paying $95, the Sunday paper would be complimentary.

Overall, you would probably be happy here if you are willing to pay $95. Otherwise you may want to look for more affordable accommodations in another nearby town.

Room Tip: Room tip: If you like peace and quiet like I do, ask for a room on the third floor in the rear of th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Management_BWP, General Manager at Best Western Plus University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments & feedback about our hotel. We actually completed a total "makeover" on February 19, 2013 & became a Best Western PLUS. Yes we are here to stay!! We're proud of our hotel & love to hear ALL feedback from our guests.

Thank you for noticing the improvements we've made & for sharing with us. I apologize about the blankets & newspaper fee not meeting your expectations. I do hope that you will return to stay with us next time you travel to Marion, Ohio.

On behalf of myself & the entire Best Western PLUS University Inn Team I again thank you for your time & acknowledgements.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus University Inn

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Hotel was very clean. Guest services was very nice and accommodating. Friendly atmosphere. I have stayed here 3 times and it just keeps getting better!!! Khristel was very helpful and delightful to my family. The staff made sure we had the best and most comfortable stay possible!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I will be sure to pass all your wonderful comments to my Best Western PLUS Team!

Thank you for choosing us & we hope that you keep coming back!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel was very nice. The staff was among the best mannnered an nicest people ive been around in a very long time. Shelly Booker the hotel manager was very polite as she wished us a safe departure. Other staff members such as Khrystil Lane an Jamie Coburn along with Barb our stay was beautiful an i most definatintly recommend you Check inn-to this hotel if your in marion.

Room Tip: 300 it is a jacuzzi suite an very nice
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive & generous feedback! I appreciate you took the time to acknowledge our Team Members & I'm delighted you found them to be so helpful, well mannered, and friendly!

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us at the Best Western PLUS University Inn, Marion.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

i stayed at best western plus university inn last nite ,i had read a couple of reviews that commented very badly.i found it to be very clean on every floor because i took the time to look around ,after comments made said rooms where dirty ,untrue,Kristle was in charge last nite.the full breakfast was xcellentscramble eggs round bacon,3 juices,fresh fruit,bread ,wheat ,white ,yoplayogurt ,cerals,muffins,,beds are pillow top very very comfortable,pilows soft but firm, i came to get away from problems at home ,her and i agreed for me to do this to make our love strong , it was about her children ,i am not the father,but the children would like me to be,anyway.i live in marengo.she is farther away. we will go there as a family when it warms up to enjoy attractions and food in marion garyemarengo

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We actually renovated completely & activated as a Best Western PLUS on February 19th, 2013. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay & appreciate the great feedback about our free full hot breakfast.

We hope you & your family do return to stay with us. I will forward your compliments to my team also.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was the first weekend of true opening. The manager Sherry was exceptional in trying to accomodate us in every way. The rooms are beautifully decorated with new very comfortable beds, clean fridge and microwave. Heaters worked well. The bathrooms are small but clean and
functional. The new breakfast area was clean, inviting and the food was very varied and tasty. There are a few problems, jets in hot tub ineffective and doors locking system are difficult. BUT the manager was very receptive to our concerns and began to make repairs. I was very happy with the hotel, the staff and the accomodations. Give this another try.....I will be returning

Room Tip: They are still decorating the first floor, try upper floors
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nikita h
Management_BWP, General Manager at Best Western Plus University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel.

I apologize about the jets in hot tub & the door locking mechanisms. Since your stay we have made some adjustments & repairs on both issues. Door locks are functional & jets are working properly now.

We look forward to seeing you again when you travel through the Marion area.

Once again thank you!!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located off I-57. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and free of smells.The hotel had free wifi in the room and a computer by the front desk. Breakfast was okay but there was plenty of seating. Overall a good value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marion
Best Western Executive Inn
Best Western Executive Inn
#1 of 2 in Mount Gilead
Sleep Inn & Suites Galion, OH

Been to Best Western Plus University Inn? Share your experiences!