I am a Hilton Honors Diamond Member, who spends close to two months in hotels every year. I am spending the night in Marion for a pleasure trip, seeing the Presidential sites in Ohio (Warren G. Harding is from this town). As there were no Hilton family hotels here in Marion, I booked the Fairfield. I have not stayed at a Marriott family hotel for a while, but I thought I would give the company a try again. Here's what the hotel was like:
1. Upon stepping out of the car, I noticed that there was an outside window metal framing hanging in a bent manner. Nothing much, but it is the small things that can make a bad first impression.
2. I specifically requested a room on as high a floor as possible while making the reservation. Hampton Inn always complies with this request of mine. The Fairfield had me booked on the first floor. I asked the lady at the desk about it, to which she bluntly said "oh, the night people usually do not read those requests." She was able to make the change to the third floor, but still...
3. Upon entering the third floor room, the smell of smoke was more powerful than a Downtown Reno casino. It was basically overwhelming! I went back down to the front deak, where I reported the problem. Even though I had to initial on the check-in sheet that it is a non-smoking hotel, their room smelled like it was the headquarters of the R.J. Reynolds tobacco company. The front desk lady said that often people do smoke in non-smoking rooms, to which I responded that it should be the responsibility of the housekeeping staff to report that a room smells smoky, and to make the upmost effort to thoroughly cleanse the room before renting it out to subsequent clients. She now assigned me to another room.
4. Room number two smelled like a stale locker room. At this point, I was unsure if the smell in this room was of tobacco or of just plain, stale air. I did know that my family and I got immediate coughs and headaches. We went to the front desk and promptly informed them that we were not staying there that night.
5. While I did appreciate the helpfulness of the front desk lady, she should dress more professionally. I was clearly able to read the printed words on her shirt under what was to be her professional blouse.
I am now sitting in the Holiday Inn Express across the street. Similar price as the Fairfield, but worlds better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Fairfield Inn Marion, a prime choice for hotels in Marion, OH. Fairfield Inn Marion features 56 non-smoking guest rooms conveniently located off US Hwy 23 and Route 95. Business guests enjoy a convenient location near Ohio State University Marion, Marion Technical College, Whirlpool Corporation, Wyandot Inc., Frontier, Sika Corporation, Marion General Hospital and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Fairfield Inn Marion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Marion
- Marion Fairfield Inn
- Fairfield Inn Marion Ohio