“Do not stay here!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Marion
Valencia, California
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed July 12, 2007

I am a Hilton Honors Diamond Member, who spends close to two months in hotels every year. I am spending the night in Marion for a pleasure trip, seeing the Presidential sites in Ohio (Warren G. Harding is from this town). As there were no Hilton family hotels here in Marion, I booked the Fairfield. I have not stayed at a Marriott family hotel for a while, but I thought I would give the company a try again. Here's what the hotel was like:

1. Upon stepping out of the car, I noticed that there was an outside window metal framing hanging in a bent manner. Nothing much, but it is the small things that can make a bad first impression.

2. I specifically requested a room on as high a floor as possible while making the reservation. Hampton Inn always complies with this request of mine. The Fairfield had me booked on the first floor. I asked the lady at the desk about it, to which she bluntly said "oh, the night people usually do not read those requests." She was able to make the change to the third floor, but still...

3. Upon entering the third floor room, the smell of smoke was more powerful than a Downtown Reno casino. It was basically overwhelming! I went back down to the front deak, where I reported the problem. Even though I had to initial on the check-in sheet that it is a non-smoking hotel, their room smelled like it was the headquarters of the R.J. Reynolds tobacco company. The front desk lady said that often people do smoke in non-smoking rooms, to which I responded that it should be the responsibility of the housekeeping staff to report that a room smells smoky, and to make the upmost effort to thoroughly cleanse the room before renting it out to subsequent clients. She now assigned me to another room.

4. Room number two smelled like a stale locker room. At this point, I was unsure if the smell in this room was of tobacco or of just plain, stale air. I did know that my family and I got immediate coughs and headaches. We went to the front desk and promptly informed them that we were not staying there that night.

5. While I did appreciate the helpfulness of the front desk lady, she should dress more professionally. I was clearly able to read the printed words on her shirt under what was to be her professional blouse.

I am now sitting in the Holiday Inn Express across the street. Similar price as the Fairfield, but worlds better.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2006

This hotel was great on the price, but you get what you pay for. The room was not comfortable at all. I woke up with a headach and backach. We request a king and got a double and the front desk pretty much said Oh Well.... The pool was very nice. A tad bit cold for the time of year I went, but it would be nice in the summer. The included breakfast was nothing more than a very small box of fruit loops and some milk that tasted spoiled. We headed to the Bob Evans just down the street. I have stayed at other hotels in Marion and my favorite is the Comfort Inn across the street. Way better accomodations!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Comfort Inn!
  • Stayed October 2005
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank elizmstevens
Oxford,MI
Reviewed October 10, 2004

My husband stayed on business at this hotel for 22 nights in September. I visited on the weekends. This hotel was very nice. The pool was spotless. Jacuzzi was spotless. Rooms were very clean, average size, nice. The staff was welcoming and friendly. They had a nice cont breakfast with do it yourself waffles,yogurt,juices,muffins,donuts,etc.
I would recommend this hotel.

7 Thank froggy8997
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2003

It was verry,verry, nece. I likened the people verry much, thank-you

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marion
Royalton Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Upper Sandusky
Sleep Inn & Suites Galion, OH
Baymont Inn & Suites Delaware

Been to Fairfield Inn Marion? Share your experiences!