“Great dinner stop”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Wheelchair Accessible
monaca pa
“Great dinner stop”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We have never eaten at this chain as there are no restaurants in our surrounding area. A chance stop at the dinner hour was a great experience. Instead of just getting a pizza to go, we were welcomed to a pizza-pasta-salad and dessert bar for a very good price. Everything was delicious and will recommend it to all when travelling.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank PAB239

Ohio
“Has lunch buffet, needs updating”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This location has a lunch buffet, that some may describe as a bit anemic. The place is pretty barren and in desperate need of some updates.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank ut_jd
Marietta, Ohio
“good food but inside needs more lights”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

this restaurants is kinds dark inside. They do have very good servers. Their pizzas are great, offering many kinds. The buffet is always nice and reasonable. (check store for hours)

Visited July 2013
2 Thank MamawLisa
Charleston, West Virginia
“Parmesan Poppers”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The pizza was really only so-so in my opinion, but they had these deep-fried dough bites called parmesan poppers or something of that nature that had my husband and I doing battle over the box. Delicious bits of dough rolled in garlic butter and parmesan and still hot from the oil. Drooool

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sasha S
Vincent, Ohio
“Great for Vegetarian Pizza Lovers”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've yet to encounter an all-you-can-eat (AYCE) pizza place that didn't scrimp on the meat. I guess it must be part of their business plan. East of Chicago Pizza in Marietta, Ohio, is no exception. What IS exceptional is their crust--excellent. The selection is exceptional too. I counted 12 different kinds of pizza. Perhaps one of the best was their chicken Alfredo pizza, though precious few of the domestic birds had to die for this one. I was about to chalk it up as a meatless entrée then I found a tiny cube of white meat so at least they had good intentions. There was also a Mexican pizza (sometimes called a taco pizza)--great taste, fresh ingredients but again, light on the meat. Most crusts were medium in thickness. The one thin crust was less than exciting. They also had an interesting "Italian fold-over" which was a very thin flatbread sandwich with a little ham and veggies. (I think this was in place of the usual ham and cheese subs most such places feature.) I'd never seen or tasted anything like it--quite good.

There's a well-stocked salad bar, barely warm mac and cheese (tortellini), okay garlic wedges, an iced cinnamon-sugar topped dessert bread, and a delightful pineapple topped dessert pizza in place of the standard apple pie filling topping featured at most AYCE places. The service was attentive; the atmosphere featured local history murals and what appear to be hand-painted tapestries based on antique photos of local landmarks. The restrooms were clean, nothing fancy, and of the "knock and lock" variety.

My wife and I have eaten at East of Chicago several times (once or twice a year). If you're looking for gourmet pizza keep looking. If you want cheap, plentiful, tasty pizza, this is as good as any, better than some. Best of all, you get all this for only $5.95. My standard, refilled Diet Pepsi was $1.95. My bill with tax, $8.50. I got my money's worth, but I'd quite gladly have paid at least a dollar more for a little meat.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jim_Lane

Been to East of Chicago? Share your experiences!