“Parmesan Poppers”

Add it.
East of Chicago
Ranked #51 of 83 Restaurants in Marietta
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The pizza was really only so-so in my opinion, but they had these deep-fried dough bites called parmesan poppers or something of that nature that had my husband and I doing battle over the box. Delicious bits of dough rolled in garlic butter and parmesan and still hot from the oil. Drooool

1  Thank Sasha S

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've yet to encounter an all-you-can-eat (AYCE) pizza place that didn't scrimp on the meat. I guess it must be part of their business plan. East of Chicago Pizza in Marietta, Ohio, is no exception. What IS exceptional is their crust--excellent. The selection is exceptional too. I counted 12 different kinds of pizza. Perhaps one of the best was their chicken Alfredo pizza, though precious few of the domestic birds had to die for this one. I was about to chalk it up as a meatless entrée then I found a tiny cube of white meat so at least they had good intentions. There was also a Mexican pizza (sometimes called a taco pizza)--great taste, fresh ingredients but again, light on the meat. Most crusts were medium in thickness. The one thin crust was less than exciting. They also had an interesting "Italian fold-over" which was a very thin flatbread sandwich with a little ham and veggies. (I think this was in place of the usual ham and cheese subs most such places feature.) I'd never seen or tasted anything like it--quite good.

There's a well-stocked salad bar, barely warm mac and cheese (tortellini), okay garlic wedges, an iced cinnamon-sugar topped dessert bread, and a delightful pineapple topped dessert pizza in place of the standard apple pie filling topping featured at most AYCE places. The service was attentive; the atmosphere featured local history murals and what appear to be hand-painted tapestries based on antique photos of local landmarks. The restrooms were clean, nothing fancy, and of the "knock and lock" variety.

My wife and I have eaten at East of Chicago several times (once or twice a year). If you're looking for gourmet pizza keep looking. If you want cheap, plentiful, tasty pizza, this is as good as any, better than some. Best of all, you get all this for only $5.95. My standard, refilled Diet Pepsi was $1.95. My bill with tax, $8.50. I got my money's worth, but I'd quite gladly have paid at least a dollar more for a little meat.

2  Thank Jim_Lane
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Place exceeded the expectation going in the door. When family suggested I was very hesitant. Turned out not to be bad- salad buffet was more than adequate and very fresh. We found the thin crust pizza to be fine and we are very picky about pizza. In no was it a gourmet experience, but for what it is I would not hesitate to return. Nothing special,about the place- an old Pizza Hut building?

1  Thank Tippyobrien
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Ordered for delivery and when I mentioned I wanted to pay with my credit card THEY READ THE NUMBER TO ME before I could tell them. They keep your credit card number and info on file all the time, where anyone has access to it. That is not cool

6  Thank mariettaman_11
Reviewed December 23, 2008

We went on a Tues night and no one was there to greet us so we sat ourselves. After the only waitress cleared a couple tables she finally noticed us. We ordered the buffet rather than riska long wait for food and poor service. The buffet was half empty with no pasta in the tray and pizza's that had been sitting around for some time. They brought out 1 fresh pizza the whole time we were there. My kids had the last slice of peanut butter & jelley desert pizza that had been sitting there for 20+ minutes. The pizza was doughy and half warm. They never brought out any thin slice. There were probably 15 people in the place and couldn't keep up with the buffet and take out orders. I was looking forward to some pizza a step-up from Dominos and Pizza Hut but instead got some of the worst pizza in town with poor service.

4  Thank luckymoey

Been to East of Chicago? Share your experiences!