“Amazing Historical Hotel and Town” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lafayette

The Lafayette
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Marietta
Ohio
“Amazing Historical Hotel and Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We bolted home to Ohio from Y Nationals and needed a respite stop. Boy did we stumble upon a gem! This place is in THE perfect location and affords a gorgeous view of the Ohio and Muskingum River confluence. The bar is amazing! Shirley Temples all around with a beer and vino for the adults. Beautiful views, great ambiance, we decide to tour some rooms.

I highly recommend actually looking at the rooms, because each is so individual that it might make a difference about where you will stay! send one in to make the call. Staff were very accommodating with my requests to see the rooms, and it was worth the time. Prices are very fair.

We had room 414, excellent suite, 2 bathrooms (2 girls) separated sleeping areas, brand new pull out queen, and queen in bedroom. Period "Lafayette"ish furnishings...pretty.

This hotel is reportedly haunted, and me and my teen girls had tons of fun wandering around and checking the old place out. It has endured floods, floods, and is old enough to be...had a couple experiences......Fun!

We will be back to this great River Town.....ate at the Brewery....generic eats but walking distance. will venture out more next time! Love the LaFayette!

Stayed April 2013
1 Thank scorpio5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Lafayette in Marietta, OH. We went to school in the city, and the Lafayette always had this incredible reputation. Returning as alumni, it was time to check it out. The hotel definitely has a classic, homey feel to it- it's a very different experience staying here than at your typical chain hotel. The staff was friendly, and easy to interact with.

I loved staying in a historical hotel, and the views of the river from our room was pretty amazing. It's with walking distance of dozens of small shops and restaurants. It's about a 10 minute walk from the college campus.

The downside to the hotel is that it is a bit dated. The bed was slightly comfortable and the pillows weren't great. Everything just felt a little old. That is to be expected, so I wouldn't want to dissuade people from staying here- the positives outweigh the negatives, just know this before you book.

For us, it was definitely a fun experience. I'm not sure I would come back here, but it is a fairly good hotel, and the price was amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river- the views are incredible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank thegreatone3182
Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Ok, I have called this hotel 2 times yesterday, and again today. They must be SUPER busy and/or a little behind in technology ......

First call - phone rang 12 or so times, then went dead. Figured I had wrong number.
Second call - phone rang about 10 times, some polite but obviously hurried young woman answered, "Can you hold please"...... that was an 8 min wait before I hung up. Figured they were having issues and would try today.

Today - called, 8 rings at least, then hold again. Just hung up and thought I'd try another day when I don't have to hold!

NOT SURE why these folks havent thought of an answering or voice mail service of some sort??? Maybe more staff to answer? (Is this place THAT historic they aren't up with the times? or do they not need my business?) If I could just leave my info and have them call me back when they have time that would have been fine. I can't book anything if I can't talk to someone or have a way to leave a message!!

Frustrating

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank toddtrip
Bergen County, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel was a wonderful home -away- from -home while spending 5 nights in Marietta helping our daughter house-hunt. On our first night the bar-tender graciously brought a refrigerator up to our room as the front desk wasn't sure our request could be met due to no housekeeping staff on Sunday nite---only to find a refrigerator plus extra luggage stand already there! Besides warm, hospitable staff, I must commend the food. Breakfasts were superb with everything homemade- real blueberries in the pancakes, fresh sliced strawberries, granola, nice praline sauce for French toast, etc. The $75 queen-size river view room included a $5 coupon for a traditional breakfast (eggs and the works) or credit towards other choices, which were never more than a dollar extra. One afternoon we had a tasty lunch in the bar room, too and were only sorry we missed trying the evening meals in their restaurant . This experience was far superior to any big-box hotel. The historic atmosphere was reminiscent of Europe. Great value and warmth. My only suggestions would be to have the cleaning staff vacuum the stairs more often and add plain yogurt to your breakfasts! It would have been nice to have slightly more space in the room, but we were delighted to be able to open the windows! We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ClareBergenCounty_NJ
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I picked the Lafayette because I've grown so tired of chain motels out in plaza-land with microwave-it-yourself breakfasts. I wanted to try a nice old place in a historic city center.

The Lafayette came through beautifully. We were lucky enough to visit on the night of Marietta's Masked Ball, so we were surprised to see many young ladies and gents decked out in their finest, looking like a society crowd from the 1930s. The atmosphere was helped by an excellent young lady singing jazzy standards, accompanied by a very competent jazz guitarist.

We enjoyed a glass of wine in the lounge (beautiful old bar, with model paddlewheelers on display), then had a very nice dinner in the dining room, which also featured a riverboat theme.

Our room had a river view and queen bed, plenty of room for us two, plus an upholstered chair with extremely ornate carved wood back and arms. Also an overhead fan, in addition to a heater/AC. The bath was slightly small, but classy in black and white tile.

All told, the Lafayette has a very classy vintage look and feel. There was no musty odor at all, in contrast to some complaints here. The breakfast was a wonderful buffet. Our _only_ problem was that the barmaid in the lounge was run ragged trying to serve everyone, probably because of the increased crowd due to the masked ball.

We'll definitely return to see Marietta, since time and weather didn't permit it this time. And we'll definitely stay in the Lafayette. (Oh, and the price was amazingly low!)

Room Tip: Higher floors on the river side will have the best view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank K
Morehead, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

As this is my first trip to Marietta I elected to stay at the Lafayette while attending the blues music competition. Everyone was great and the hotel is certainly a great place to stay. The room was clean and the staff was very efficient and precise. Would I go back? Certainly. It certainly is convenient to a number of interesting local restaurants. I was told that the downtown area is closed to corporate restaurants, such as KFC, Taco Bell & others, so that local & good restaurants are the norm in the downtown area. Good idea I do believe. I don't know this for a fact but was told this by a local. I guess my only complaint about the hotel is the noise factor from adjoining rooms. I know this hotel was built to a different standard than today. But the positive is that by 11 PM everyone was quiet. And a quiet night it was.

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Steve B
Richmond Hill, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

As the only hotel in downtown Marietta, the Lafayette has a lock on the claim for being close to the great little shops, really good restaurants, BOTH of the city's rivers and waterfront parks. It's filled with historic photos of the great sternwheelers of the Ohio River and memorabilia of river life abounds. I've stayed in several different rooms and know they range from tiny to spacious, but they've always been clean and nicely appointed, some with antiques. While there always seems to be some sort of updating in progress, the hotel is nearly 100 years old and doesn't pretend to be otherwise. That's its major draw and the main ingredient in its charm. Other important ingredients include the Riverview Lounge, a period lobby, and a grand staircase instead of one hidden behind closed doors. Choose to eat in the Lounge instead of the much more mundane Hunt Room, and be sure to sit at a window table to watch coal barges ply the Ohio just across the street. The Lounge is lively at night and is something of a gathering place for Marietta's older crowd. The front desk is knowledgeable about the area and always ready with dining and site-seeing suggestions.

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms in a variety of shapes and sizes. If you are particular, ask to see yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrsPincheon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marietta
The Blennerhassett Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Marietta
Red Roof Inn Marietta
Red Roof Inn Marietta
#8 of 11 in Marietta

Been to The Lafayette? Share your experiences!