“WONDERFUL hotel”

South Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was nervous when I booked this property because it was a family-owned hotel and some reviews were so-so. However, my family (two adults, two teenagers) LOVED this hotel and want to come back next year for a full week. We spent 3 nights and still didn't have time to enjoy all the amenities at the hotel. The pools, beach, marina gazebos, sand volleyball, shuffleboard, etc. were great! The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. The continental breakfast had a good variety of breads, pastries, fruits, and cereal.

Room Tip: We paid more for a water-view room with a balcony. We wound up on the first floor so we could walk...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jalline
There are newer reviews for South Beach Resort Hotel

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a great stay we were there 3 nights 4 days and I was thinking I should have booked more days its like the more you stay the more it grows on you so many things to do from pools tennis basketball rim outside. Also a marina to launch out of small sandy beach oh and volleyball net I had a balcony and the view was great the room was clean and cozy and terrific views from where ever you were standing overlooking the lake had a great time and we'll definitely return thanks to micheal and dessa .

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank empire4me
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Okay, I read most of the reviews before booking, even the really negative ones, and thought, this place couldn’t be as bad as some described… and I was right. I don't know what people were expecting to be so disappointed, but there is no way this place is trashy or filthy. The rooms are that of a nice, average hotel. We stayed in one of the inside rooms so we don’t have much to compare it to but it was decent and certainly nothing to complain about. The continental breakfast is not fantastic. It is on the lower end of continental breakfasts in my opinion, but it does the job. I didn’t like that the bread was left out in the open where flies got on it and the packages of oatmeal have probably been left out a little too long. The fruit did not look good. However, if you need a muffin, cereal, danish or bagel with some coffee and juice it is fine, although the coffee we made in the Kerig in our room was much better. But we did not go there looking for a great free breakfast. We went to South Beach Resort to swim and hang out on the water and beach, which was totally satisfactory, especially if you have kids. You do have to drive to get something to eat but you really don’t have to go far. There are quite a few really nice seafood restaurants just down the road and the front desk has cards with detailed direction for your own convenience, which I appreciated. It is a nice drive around the lake too and we actually enjoyed the drive out to dinner. The customer service went above and beyond in my opinion. I won’t go into details but they made are stay as comfortable as possible. We didn't need a refrigerator or microwave in our room. We brought a cooler and used their ice and the microwave is available all day in the breakfast room. The only problem we had was the room directly above ours had a bunch of kids and it literally sounded like they were going to come through the floor with all the jumping and screaming going on. We did call the front desk and it stopped the first time but the second time happened around 11:30 at night. Apparently the people had just gotten in for the night and were very loud. The front desk offered to move us to another room but we had a sleeping child and it was impossible. Perhaps they could have moved the other people to another room, but once it stopped everything was fine. My suggestion would to be to ask that you are not put in a room directly below a bunch of children since the floors seem to be really thin. We are definitely going back to this place to enjoy a nice and relaxing mini vacation but we will get a room with a balcony next time since they seemed pretty nice from the outside. The cottages looked really nice too if you are interested in something like that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no children in the room directly above you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HonestTraveler734
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Fortunately, we had a clean room, with nice view but really bad service.
First of all, this place is far off from any food location or any attraction.
Secondly, they serve complimentary breakfast which they decide to serve on their own. The coffee jar was empty and when we asked for more coffee, no one brought it. They had fruits which were not at all in edible state. We asked for some more bread, and the girl there said they're out.
That said and done, when we were ready to checkout they started charging us extra fee and said that our reservations did not include that. Well I would pay for that because I did not read fine prints but then they even charged us for having more than 2 people in a 2 queen's room although their website says queen's room is for 4.

As positive things, I liked the decor. Our room had a nice and warm tub. The view was great specially during the dawn and dusk. The pool was well maintained except that they were out of towels.

I will not go back because the only reason I paid good money here was the beach but, the beach here was really dirty with dead fish all over.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sachi M
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is our last full day at this "resort". As I sit and drink my coffee and look out over the lake I'm reminded....For the sake of my kids, it has been a memorable vacation for them. They have not turned on a TV, video game, iPad or computer all week. My youngest is 6, and I would say he has had the greatest experience. From waking until dusk, he has done nothing but outdoor activities, either with us, by himself or with other kids he has met this week in the other cottages.
Let's start with arrival: Check in was easy, but confusing. We rented a cottage, and it wasn't clearly explained in the paperwork. We went inside the hotel, and they told us to follow the path behind the building to the OFFICE sign. After that, was easy.
The cottage is quite overpriced for what you get. (We paid $1700.00 from Sat.-Sat)...We had to bring our own showering towels, bed linens (top sheets, blankets), dish towels, and beach towels. This takes up ALOT of space when you drive from IL to OH.
There are dishes for cooking...etc...
We went to Wal-Mart and bought our groceries for the week. There are no spices, salt & pepper, coffee filters, etc...you supply it ALL.
We have rented numerous condos & cottages over the years, and most will give you the basics...like a blanket :-)
The villa was clean. The furnishings were not what the picture online showed. If you have a family, there is someone that will not be comfortable watching TV after a long day outside. They provide 1 couch, 1 wicker settee, 1 wicker chair, and 1 rocker. Not ideal for family.
Our villa has a bit of a moth ball smell - not sure if they do that to keep critters out, but I did not see any, just smelled them.
The grounds are well manicured. Kids equipment is in great condition, pools are well cared for, and courts are freshly painted/marked.
The lakefront/beach - Aye, aye, aye!! The first 2 days we were here, there was such a horrific odor of dead fish. Why? Because when you walked down there -there were numerous dead fish laying on the beachfront. More than 5.
The complaints must have rolled in, because they did have someone clean it up on day 3. I'm not sure why this water looks so stagnant, but there is no way anyone would want to swim here at this "beach". Yesterday we also saw about 6 snakes slithering through the water in that area while we were walking on the dock.
This is a shame. This really could be utilized so much better. Apparently they make their money off of the marina storage on the opposite side.
Cedar Point amusement park was a short drive - SO worth it.
Marblehead Lighthouse is right down the road - fabulous!
Over all, I'm giving this resort 3 stars. These cottages were very basic. We have paid a bit more money and gotten much more bang for our buck. I'm thankful my kids had the experience, but I would not rent here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Acctspd
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I recently stayed here with my two kids. We were visiting Sandusky for Cedar Point Amusement Park. The resort itself is lovely. They have a nice tennis court, a bonfire, a beach volleyball court, gated and heated pool and hot tub and another Adults pool that is also gated. The beach is small but perfect size for the resort. The man-made pier is very cute and quaint with a gazebo. The Bath and Body toiletries were a nice touch and the rooms were decently sized. A Keurig serves as the coffee maker in the room and the rest is pretty old school. The CRT TV and mattresses where you feel the springs should be updated. A separate sink from the toilet/shower room was a great feature.
Unfortunately, the smell from the waters or the beach volleyball sands were much too fishy to turn on the vent/ac or the doors. And the walls are seriously paper thin where you hear your neighbors on each side and above( in our case).
This resort is about a 35 min drive to Cedar Point but the alternative was a Water Taxi at the resort which would have cost $10 each per person/per direction...$80 was a bit much for 4 of us to take a water taxi so we drove and parked for $15 at Cedar Point.
The package deal that we chose was the 2 night stay with $50 voucher at Mon Ami Winery. The restaurant was wonderful. On a Friday night, they have a special for $55 which includes a bottle of wine and 2 entrees. I would definitely recommend this restaurant! The included continental breakfast consists of packaged Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Kelloggs Breakfast Nutrigrain Bars, 3 Basic Cereals, mini muffins and mini danishes/cinnamon rolls. No frills but is fine for a quick breakfast.

Overall, I rate it a 3 star as it needs some improvements. The staff there is wonderful. But the quality of beds, tv and ventilation could be improved.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank pooh-w
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

R stay was nice room was very clean staff was real helpful and nice love r weekend stay, everything was great
Ill be back with my fam to enjoy the hospitality again.
Thanks kudos to south beach resort

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank bigyogi75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Beachfront Resort
#1 of 7 in Put in Bay
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to South Beach Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!