“We had a nice 2 day stay.”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We always stay @ the Surf. I have in years past spent more money for a name brand hotel around this area. Not after I found the The Surf though. This is a family run business. American family I might add. The Surf Motel and Campgrounds are just that, motel rooms, a campground, Bait and Tackle Shop, Fish Cleaning Area and part of the shop is a gift shop. There are picnic tables to enjoy the veiw of Lake Erie, . a pond full of bass, boat parking and it's within walking distance of the Marblehead Lighthouse.

The rooms we stayed in this trip had 2 dbl beds, swivel TV with cable and remote, a microwave and refridgerator (mini of course] Our rooms were clean,including the bath and shower water was hot and plentiful.
I appreciate the place for value, hospitality of the owners, the view of the Lake, the hot fresh coffee in the AM, a safe place for my children and many wonderful memories.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank travelingmamabear

Reviewed July 17, 2010

We were very disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. Old is one thing but dirty is not acceptable. I don't think the room had been cleaned (other than the beds changed) from previous renters.We actually requested to have our bathroom cleaned when we checked in (there was hair on the toilet and in the tub). The beds are very uncomfortable, the carpet needs cleaned, towels are small and need fabric softner. A lot of cleaning and a little paint would be good. The pond in back was nice for the kids to fish for their time at the motel. During our three day stay we got clean towels and they made our beds every day. emptied trash 1 day, but did not vacum at all. We will not stay here again. We would rather pay a little more than pay $100.00 for this place.

• Stayed: July 2010
5  Thank traveler0710_10
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I read all the reviews and decided on taking a chance. Well, it was a nice room...not luxurious, but what do you expect for $80. a night? If something wasn't clean enough , all you had to do was to ask the maid tto clean it. She made our beds,vacuumed the room and gave us fresh towels each day. The motel is run by Chris, son of the owners. He was very knowledgable and told us we could use our laptop PC"s in the room (which we did).We didn't take the kitchenette rooms because we intended to eat out every day. By the way, we had 2 meals a day at the Marblehouse Galley. The food is good, the waitresses aim to please and it wasn't as expensive as some others. It also has a small giftshop inside and delicious chocolates . If you visit Marblehead Ohio I hope this review will help you. I know my husband and I had a great time!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bette00_10
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Room was old and outdated with a musty smell, with torn carpet, drop ceiling, hard beds and a junky TV. Mattresses had plastic covers on them, which is a sign of bed bugs. The pool was nasty, it literally smelled like feces. I was tempted to call the board of health. It is across from the lake, but there is no close access to the lake. They advertise it as 12 miles away from Cedar Point, but in reality it is closer to 25 miles. The town appears to be dying, with not a lot going on. Stay on Kellys Island or Put In Bay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Locutus2999
Reviewed May 21, 2010

The moment I walked into the dank, outdated room, I see a roach run from the bathroom floor to under the 30 year stove/sink. I always check for bedbugs in the box springs at hotels and it looked as though they gutted the box spring, but evidence still visible from bed bugs! Then, on my pillow was an eight legged friend. It was real late, so we went to the store and bought sleeping bags and slept on top of the bed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knye0406
Reviewed August 29, 2008

After booking based on some good reviews, we experienced overall disappointment at this motel. It is quite old; looking like a motel from 30 years ago. The rooms were acceptable in cleanliness. But the beds were hard, the pillows thin and the bathroom unappealing (some mildew in tub, tiny sink, no hairdryer, etc). Don't expect much from the small, poorly kept pool. We paid just under $100 for three double beds, which I suppose is a good deal, in light of current prices. A plus for kids is the pond at the back of the property, where catch and release fishing is permitted. Lots of bluegills to catch and huge bass which kept a wary distance from our hooks.

Honestly, our disappointment was not just with the Surf Motel, but with Marblehead in general. We stopped overnight with the impression that the town was a quaint, lakeside vacation village. Instead, it is a gritty and somewhat depressed industrial town.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank dburt63
Reviewed October 12, 2007

My family and I had 3 rooms over the Labor Day Weekend. We have been here several times. This is a laid back motel. The rate is extremely reasonable, expect to pay >$ 100.00 even in mid summer. Less of course when it is not peak season.

The Surf Motel and Bait Shop, also has a campground with permanent campsites and some overnight spots. There is a small catch and release fishing pond, a children's play ground, and a beautiful view of Lake Erie.

There is a neat pool, that has always been cold. And I mean brrrrrrr cold.

Your room contains 2 dbl beds, table&chairs, bathroom with lots of counter space. microwave and mini fridge.

This is an awesome place to stay. I would like to see the pool have a heater and coffee pots in the rooms.

Give this a try if you're not expecting luxury accomodations, of which there aren't any in the area anyway.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank mrsmamabear2002
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
South Beach Resort Hotel
#1 of 7 in Put in Bay
Lake Point Motel
Lake Point Motel
#2 of 7 in Marblehead

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!