“PASS!!!”
Review of Surf Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marblehead
Surf Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marblehead
Detroit, MI
“PASS!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Surf is a very basic motel, and inexpensive, so I wasn't expecting much when I made my reservation. When I arrived, I noticed that the room wasn't very clean, there were numerous mosquitoes buzzing around the inside of the room, the shower barely worked, the lock on the door was difficult to unlock with the key, the bath towels were very low quality and not the slightest bit soft, and there isn't much sound insulation in the rooms. I was made aware of this when someone in another room a few doors down decided to start their Harleys and let them idle outside for 15 minutes before they finally left, at 6:00 in the morning. Next time I come down to this area, I'll be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Ron P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Millersport, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My wife and I recently made a reservation with the Surf Motel in Marblehead Ohio. We found that we needed to cancel our reservation soon after we booked it. We cancelled our reservation within the 72 hours window given by the Surf Motel.As a result,we did not incur any charges for cancelling our reservation.
Today,we received our credit card bill. There was a $15.00 charge from our friends at the Surf Motel. We called to check and were told, to our surprise, that there is a $15.00 "administartive fee" for simply making the reservation. Problem is, no one from this fine establishment mentioned their "administrative fee" at the time we made the reservation.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Patti B
surfmotel, General Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
You recieved a confirmation 3 minutes after you made your reservation. That is a policy we have had for many years. Your reservation was booked over a month prior. You were well aware of the policy and fully informed. We ars a small family business and have been here for four generations. All policy are clearly post on all correspondences and web site. Sorry you feel this is a problem.
ohio
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We always stay @ the Surf. I have in years past spent more money for a name brand hotel around this area. Not after I found the The Surf though. This is a family run business. American family I might add. The Surf Motel and Campgrounds are just that, motel rooms, a campground, Bait and Tackle Shop, Fish Cleaning Area and part of the shop is a gift shop. There are picnic tables to enjoy the veiw of Lake Erie, . a pond full of bass, boat parking and it's within walking distance of the Marblehead Lighthouse.

The rooms we stayed in this trip had 2 dbl beds, swivel TV with cable and remote, a microwave and refridgerator (mini of course] Our rooms were clean,including the bath and shower water was hot and plentiful.
I appreciate the place for value, hospitality of the owners, the view of the Lake, the hot fresh coffee in the AM, a safe place for my children and many wonderful memories.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingmamabear
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed July 17, 2010

We were very disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. Old is one thing but dirty is not acceptable. I don't think the room had been cleaned (other than the beds changed) from previous renters.We actually requested to have our bathroom cleaned when we checked in (there was hair on the toilet and in the tub). The beds are very uncomfortable, the carpet needs cleaned, towels are small and need fabric softner. A lot of cleaning and a little paint would be good. The pond in back was nice for the kids to fish for their time at the motel. During our three day stay we got clean towels and they made our beds every day. emptied trash 1 day, but did not vacum at all. We will not stay here again. We would rather pay a little more than pay $100.00 for this place.

• Stayed July 2010
5 Thank traveler0710_10
Altoona,PA
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I read all the reviews and decided on taking a chance. Well, it was a nice room...not luxurious, but what do you expect for $80. a night? If something wasn't clean enough , all you had to do was to ask the maid tto clean it. She made our beds,vacuumed the room and gave us fresh towels each day. The motel is run by Chris, son of the owners. He was very knowledgable and told us we could use our laptop PC"s in the room (which we did).We didn't take the kitchenette rooms because we intended to eat out every day. By the way, we had 2 meals a day at the Marblehouse Galley. The food is good, the waitresses aim to please and it wasn't as expensive as some others. It also has a small giftshop inside and delicious chocolates . If you visit Marblehead Ohio I hope this review will help you. I know my husband and I had a great time!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bette00_10
Williamsburg, Ohio
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Room was old and outdated with a musty smell, with torn carpet, drop ceiling, hard beds and a junky TV. Mattresses had plastic covers on them, which is a sign of bed bugs. The pool was nasty, it literally smelled like feces. I was tempted to call the board of health. It is across from the lake, but there is no close access to the lake. They advertise it as 12 miles away from Cedar Point, but in reality it is closer to 25 miles. The town appears to be dying, with not a lot going on. Stay on Kellys Island or Put In Bay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Locutus2999
Galloway, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2010

The moment I walked into the dank, outdated room, I see a roach run from the bathroom floor to under the 30 year stove/sink. I always check for bedbugs in the box springs at hotels and it looked as though they gutted the box spring, but evidence still visible from bed bugs! Then, on my pillow was an eight legged friend. It was real late, so we went to the store and bought sleeping bags and slept on top of the bed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knye0406
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
South Beach Resort Hotel
#3 of 17 in Port Clinton
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#7 of 17 in Port Clinton

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!