“Very disappointent, find somewhere else to stay!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roundup Lake RV Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mantua
Roundup Lake RV Resort
Palos Hills, Illinois
“Very disappointent, find somewhere else to stay!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Hi, I booked this Jellystone, because the pictures looked nice and I was going by the Jellystone name and that Morgan RV out of New York has bought several campgrounds and some have been good. When we arrived we went into the store which was not stocked well. I ask the lady if this was a new store, because there was nothing in it and I needed supplies. The worker behind the desk was not very pleasant, she had the miserable look and attitude. We went to our campsite which was spacious but across the road behind some bushes was the garage dump which we smelled every once in awhile. So after setting in, we went to check out the bathhouses which there was not one close to us. The 2 toliets that were close to us, 1 was up by the acarde/food bar and other one was by the pool. The 5 bathhouses were disguisting. Thank god we have a bathroom in our RV. The bathhouses have no screens on the doors, so bugs are in and out. The shower areas were not clean and not much privacy, paint peeling, tiles falling off the walls, out of order showers, leaking showers, no screens on the windows or screens are ripped. I was so upset that I called Morgan Rv to complain. They returned my call after I returned from my vacation and said thanks for calling they couldn't do much for me but they will look in to it. I found out after I called talking to the workers Morgans' people from NY just visit. Down from our site the road had crater holes, a kid could really get hurt if their bike hits the hole. The minature golf was a joke, they are charging 4 dollars a person, the greens are sloped and the wood to keep your ball in is rotten and the ball rolls out off the greens into the rocks. You can not even have a fun game, To pay that money, oh I would be mad. In the laundry room the soap machine is out of order. You have to go to the store to buy soap which is on the other side of the park. The only nice thing was the pool, except the lifeguards are not really paying attention, I had 2 little girls struggling and need someone to pull them out of the water which is the lifeguards job and the Dad ran from the other side of the pool to pull them out. The pool also has water bugs, which means that the levels on the water is not right. Well as I mentioned, I was very dissapointed for the amount of money I paid, I have found that even though the pictures look nice, it doesn't mean its a nice place to stay. The other thing that cracks me up that Woodalls gave it a good rating. They need to revisit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank DSwiss1

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Beaver, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

We had heard that this campground was nice in the "past" and were excited to give it a try. The "past" must have been way better than the "present". Every area was poorly staffed. The bathrooms were never cleaned and not everything was not functioning properly. Horribly maintained. The paddle boats were broken. The putt putt was a disaster. The store had nothing to sell. For movie night, the movie had very low sound that no one could hear. People were drinking beer in glass containers around the pool and were left to do so. No one cleaned up after their dogs. Teenagers were swearing and vulgar the whole time. No security at all. They should have paid us to stay there. The Yogi Bear Campground in Pa. is much nicer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank ErinfromBeaver
nacho321
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We have stayed at this campground years past and decided to try again for the Memorial Day weekend and my daughters 15th birthday. I was very disappointed to receive a phone call letting us know the day before we got there that the golf carts were not going to be available for our visit. Mind you we booked our trip at the end of February. So, really it's one of your biggest weekends and you don't have them ready???Any time we wanted to go anywhere we had to walk or load the car up (to the restroom or showers) and carry everything. That was disappointing but not enough to upset me. Also, don't plan to purchase wood or ice at the store there. A bag of ice was $7.00!!!!! You can purchase campfire wood outside of the gates. Much better deal. There's a nice little Dollar General up the road too. I'd recommend that for any last minute or forgotten items. Another disappointment was the wristbands they offered to me for $15 each (bought 2) These bands (or so it was explained to me) were for the rental of the peddle cars, bikes,canoes, paddle boats, vball and basketball courts. I was told UNLIMITED use. Well, literally all the peddle cars were broken and there were NO bikes to use. The help in the activity barn where we were to go to sign them out, was clueless and useless. Very nasty! Next we tracked down to the beach to see about getting a canoe for the girls. They had NO ONE working the canoes or boats!!!! The poor lifeguards told us they were the only ones there all day and that the boat help didnt show up to work. they also said they had not had a break or lunch. They ended up helping us.
It just seems to me this campground has a shortage of help and treat their employees they DO have terrible. Over worked and underpaid I am sure. Also, generally the bathrooms/showers were clean and kept up on. Way better then some campgrounds I have visited. However, Monday morning Memorial Day my husband went into the mens bathrooms/showers and someone had smeared feces all over the walls!!!!!!!! REALLY??? What hogs and animals!!! Again, this campground would expect some teenager making minimum wage to get right on that and clean this???? I don't know of many , if any, that would. And lastly, every morning (3 days straight)i went up to the general store for a cup of coffee 9none made/left)and there was only one gal working so, I went ahead and made the pots of coffee and cleaned up around the coffee station for her. She appreciated it and in turn didn't charge me for my cup of java:)To me, not a big deal. I needed my coffee, she was busy and atleast I knew it was fresh:) Just saying this to make reference of the short of hands/ help needed.
I truly feel they have a good thing with their location, pool, lake, facilities. They just need more help! Hire older people and pay them more.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank nacho321
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Camped our travel trailer with my husband and our daughter who is almost 2. I called morgan RV to make resevation, and they offered me buy one night of camping, get one free. We choose a full hook up site which is more money, but worth it!! We spent time on all the playgrounds. We went swimming at the pool and lake. Yogi bear came to visit our campsite. Took wagon ride in the afternoon with Cyndi Bear. My daughter had a blast! This campground was full of families, which was nice. The staff was virtuous and helpful. Staff was a mix of adults and teenagers. My only complaints would be that the full hook up sites are a little tight. The fire ring was pretty close to the camper. The regular water/electric and primitive site were more spacious. And I thought the price would have been a bit high if not for the BOGO deal. The baby pool was out of order, but should be fixed soon. They have life jackets for free for anyone that needs one. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank HHiggs
Mentor, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

We were there for a week stay with 3 families on 3 sites. The sites and general area was great. Didn't really use the bathrooms, cause we have a 31ft camper, but when I did go in one, it appeared clean. Some loud nights, but nothing offensive. A lot of teens working. Would like to see a few more adults supervising workers. This place could be much much more with a little more effort. I still recommend it and we'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LaredoCrew
parma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

I can't say enough good things about Jellystone. The staff works very hard to keep the park clean. The bathrooms are clean and stocked. Recently the hot water tanks have been replaced. My kids love the different parks, the beach and the pool. The putt putt area has been refurbished and looks great. Many of the issues of the past are being addressed and fixed as soon as possible. I would recommend this park over any campground in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Acmom4
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

We tent camped over this past weekend and let me say it was the worst camping experience we have ever encountered and we camp quite often. The website advertises a beach with numerous green inflatable toys such as seasaws & slide IN the water. I thought this would be fun for the kids. When we got there the only thing they had in the water was the slide. This is false advertising and very misleading. There was also duck poop all over the place even though it did look like they tried to comb the beach every day. The beach also did not open until 11 am. We could not use it when the life guard wasn't on duty. The ladies room near our site only had one working shower with hot water the entire weekend & the toilets were hit and miss on the flushing. The ceiling in the game room was falling in with water leaking from it. There were buckets collecting the water & it was obvious that this wasn't a new problem. By Saturday afternoon the camp store was out of everything. Forget it if you wanted milk, juice, bread or hot dogs. The only thing they had left was soda, 2 packs of cheese, marshmallows & a couple boxes of graham crackers. When I made reservations I was told that our site had trees & was fully shaded. We only had one tree at the very end of our campsite and it only shaded us in the early morning. From 10 am on the sun was blazing on our site. We would have brought the canopy if we would have known. Live and learn.

The worst part about the trip was the obnoxious group of campers near us. They partied all night with their music blasting. They were literally banging on pots to the beat of their loud music at 1 am and screaming. Another camper asked them to please quiet down and one of them replied "This is camping, not a 5 star hotel". They continued to get louder as the night went on. I called the Jellystone phone # & complained about how obnoxious and out of hand they were. The person I spoke with said they would send security but no one came. An hour later I tried calling back but it automatically went to "on hold". I was on hold for 25 minutes then finally just hung up. We never fell asleep until after 2 am and those people were still drinking & being obnoxious. (We even had a large box fan on high to try to drown out the noise but it didn't help.) I complained at the office the very next morning but they said they didn't know anything about it. It was more like "Sorry, there is nothing we can do." but they said they would talk to them at this time. Why bother talking to them at 10 am because they had already packed up to leave & so did we. This is supposed to be a family campground. There is no way that this type of activity should have been going on all night!

The only reason I am giving this campground at rating of 2 instead of 1 is because the pond was nice and large & had good opportunities for fishing (bring your own bait because they only sell worms for $3.50 a dozen). There is also a nice playground beside the beach. It is also very easy to find off of the Ohio Turnpike. The pool was clean & decent, very average & it had a life guard. It seemed like it was well maintained though. Even though water was leaking through the ceiling in the game room it had a/c which was a nice break from the heat. Other than this, I can't think of anything positive about the place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank blue2ribbon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mantua
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center

Been to Roundup Lake RV Resort? Share your experiences!