“Great food and atmosphere at a fair price” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 137 Restaurants in Mansfield
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Mansfield, Ohio
“Great food and atmosphere at a fair price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have been going to the Roadhouse since the mid 80s and have yet to be disappointed. I usually go for the El Paso Steak on a Stick with fresh vegetables. Follow that with either a diet drink or a beer on tap - and you have a great meal. This is the "go to" restaurant for my family when we are all in town. When you walk in the door you get to watch the steak cooking process from cooler to grill - as you wait to be seated. The aroma makes you hungry, but they have a barrel of peanuts you can snack on as you wait. Or, head down to the bar and wait for your table from there. TVs abound in the place, so you can listen to your tablemates, or zone out and watch the sports programming :)

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank RegularGuyEating

Ohio
“oldest restaurant in town disappoints”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Brown Derby has been here at least forty years. It shows it's age. It's a peanut shells on the floor kind of place but OK for families. Draft beer is plentiful and inexpensive. Service was fine and friendly on Friday night, but maybe I'm to blame for ordering the filet mignon at $19 instead of a hamburger. The meat tasted processed, not steakhouse quality. Wife had fresh salmon, a bit overdone and not as tasty as at a chain seafood place. The salad (included) was good with chopped up egg and cucumber. There was outdoor seating but it was a rainy night. The waitress offered to box the salad we left, and we did box some of the salmon and steak for later. Nice place for a beer anyway.

• Visited October 2013
Lexington, Ohio
“Very good brown derby, worth the wait.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

It's busy because of all the right reasons. Good food. Really good service. Great bartenders (not sure the locals appreciate them enough actually). Peanuts on the floor. A real drive through across the street. Country on the jukebox. Worth the drive.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank LexingtonOhio7
New Haven, Indiana, United States
“So glad we visited!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stopped here after visiting the Ohio State Reformatory. We sat out on the deck and the service was great! Our food was good, the steaks were flavorful and cooked to perfection. Prices were reasonable too. We enjoyed our meal and would definitely return.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Traci H
Okemos, Michigan
“Going downhill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've been going here since the 90s, traveling to races at Mid Ohio at least once a year. Always looked forward to eating here but it is just a shadow of its former glory anymore. I think last Thursday night will be the last time I eat here.

It started last year. The menu lists "T Bone Porterhouse steak" and gives two sizes; 16 or 20 ounce. I asked for the 16 ounce Porterhouse. I was served a T Bone. Both the server and the manager explained that they vary in size so if you want the smaller Porterhouse you need to specify that or else you will get a T Bone. So take a note; saying "I'll have the 16 ounce Porterhouse" is not clear enough for them. I let it pass as the steak was good and I didn't want to wait any longer.

This year there were three of us and we were seated right away. It was 10 minutes before anybody showed up to take drink orders, and we were never given water. Eventually the waitress Maggie arrives to take our orders. The menu proclaims "Proudly Serving Prime and Choice Steaks". So I asked Maggie which steaks were Prime. Turns out not only did she not know, she didn't even know what those words meant! She even tried to make up an answer; something like "That just means they're all really good". That is totally inexcusable in a steak house. So I explained to her that those are grades of meat and I wanted to know which was which and she just stood there. I had to then say "Would you please go find out?" to get her to do something.

So she comes back to say the filet and the ribeye are prime. I ordered a ribeye medium rare. My Wife asked for blue cheese crumbles for the salad which were never delivered but were still on the bill ($1.29!?!). Our friend ordered his ribeye Pittsburg Style which of course Maggie had never heard of but fortunately the cook must have because he got it right.

Our ribeyes were served and they were slightly underdone. They also had a lot of fat and gristle. I have a hard time believing they were Prime. They would have been much easier to eat if we had a proper knife. You are given a giant serrated blunt instrument with which to assault your meat. It doesn't as much cut your steak as bludgeon it into submission. There is no sharp tip to slice around the afore mentioned fat and gristle.

In summary, they have lost the magic they used to have and they seem to be trying to coast on their former reputation. It's not working.

• Visited August 2013