Tripadvisor
Mansfield
All reviews breakfast was delicious quick tour almond croissant private bath alexander room living room memory foam bed recommend this b b to anyone beautiful property shawshank redemption the bed was extremely comfortable a great place to stay the ohio state downtown mansfield next morning jake zane
Selected filters
Reviewed October 29, 2019 via mobile

We loved our stay at The Safe House. It was comfortable, breakfast was delicious. Jake and Christina are warm, welcoming, and interesting. Make sure to ask Jake about geocaching. He has great stories. We will be back!!

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed October 27, 2019

A cat (s) has sprayed the entire house and they really need to hire professionals to come in and take care of this. It is not worth spending all this money to smell this while you are eating and sleeping. Also, they did not make my bed or re-freshen the room when I returned the second night.

Date of stay: October 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
SafeHouseBnB, Owner at The Safe House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2019

In the 2-1/2 years I’ve been running my BnB, Jeannine is the first and only guest I regret having allowed into my home.

From the moment I greeted her at her car to offer to help with her bags, she seemed irritable and finicky. We weren’t even in the door yet and this was already a red flag.

Once inside, I gave Jeannine a quick tour that consisted of my failed attempts at being friendly being met with mostly one-word responses. I usually get a feel for how much interaction or space a guest needs by the time I finish checking them in. This was definitely one of the times I felt the guest needed some space.

Later the first night, Jeannine texted asking me to turn the heat up. No problem. I apologized (almost profusely) for it not being to her liking. The next night, she texted asking me to turn the heat down. Again, no problem. The morning she departed, she texted to tell me where she had left the keys and I thanked her for staying. This was essentially our only interactions during her entire 2-night stay.

A few hours after she departed, I received an email from Jeannine voicing her displeasure with her stay. She was basically threatening to leave negative feedback unless I gave her a refund (or what she called, “reparations”). She claimed that our home wreaked of cat urine which “permeated every area of [our] home including the bedroom”. This is a ridiculous accusation considering no animal has EVER set foot in our historic BnB in the 5 years that we’ve owned the property. Furthermore, the previous owners are allergic to cats, so I doubt they ever owned a cat for the several years they lived in the home. On top of all of that, we have NEVER ONCE received a negative review (until now), let alone a complaint about something as important to us as cleanliness. Furthermore, we had guests at our BnB one day before Jeannine and one day after and NOBODY in that time complained about this phantom smell.

In her email, Jeannine also complained that her room had not been cleaned during her 2-night stay with us. At check-in, Jeannine declined our normal daily offering of a gourmet breakfast (the breakfast that many of our guests rave about in reviews). Normally, after this breakfast, as part of my efforts to maintain consistently positive reviews and address anything negative, I make a point to ask every single guest if they need anything. I often ask if they have any concerns or suggestions. If they are staying additional nights, I ALWAYS specifically ask if they need their room serviced in any way. Most guests chuckle and respond with something to the effect of, “We’re not that high-maintenance.” I think most guests would actually find it intrusive for me to be in their room at a small BnB like ours, but I always offer nonetheless. With Jeannine, since I didn’t talk to her at breakfast, I actually thought about texting her to ask if she needed the room serviced just in case. I believe she was at a speaking engagement that day, so it was a judgment call. Due to my experience with other guests’ responses, I decided not to bother/ interrupt her. Apparently, I made the wrong decision.

I take responsibility for making the wrong call about not cleaning the room for Jeannine, but the complaint of cat urine seems almost like a borderline-scam to get a refund from me. I don’t understand why if this supposed smell of was so nauseating from the “moment [she] walked into the door” that Jeannine wouldn’t have addressed it immediately. I know I wouldn’t want to stay somewhere under those conditions. Instead, she stayed with us for not just one, but TWO nights before complaining. Whether or not I could have identified the odor, in order to avoid a defamatory review like Jeannine’s, I would have gladly refunded her entire stay as well as offered to find her comparable accommodations elsewhere AND pay the difference if needed. To email me after staying 2 nights and demanding a refund is just ridiculous.

Jeannine’s review of my BnB is the very first negative review in over 2-1/2 years of business. In fact, it’s the first review for us that has been less than perfect. Some people you just can’t make happy no matter how hard you try. It’s unfortunate that out of DOZENS of positive reviews for us on Trip Advisor, Jeannine’s will stand as the one negative. I think that probably says more about the guest than the host in this case.

Reviewed September 4, 2019 via mobile

We had a great time at The Safe House! Jake and his family are wonderful people and the place is very well done, clean and unique. We spent our 24th anniversary there and would love to go back soon. The town has a great Mexican restaurant too.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed September 4, 2019 via mobile

The safe house is a beautiful historic home in a private setting. We stayed in the Zane room which was very quiet and comfortable. We didn’t even realize the other guest room was occupied until breakfast the next morning. Jake and his family were very laid back and friendly. They made us feel welcome and comfortable from the moment we pulled up. Breakfast was delicious and they happily accommodated more then one food allergy/preference in the group. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to friends and family.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed June 14, 2019

We loved the safe house. My husband and i had fantastic time on our a little get away. The Zane room was so neat the private bath was perfect. The shower was so big loved the rain fall shower head. Breakfast was amazing the most delicious food. The inn keeper Jake Simpkinsas was amazing at making us feel right at home and explaining the history of the house. He was able to recommend a place to have dinner. We added the Shawshank package. That was fantastic . I would recommend staying at the safe house to anyone looking for a wonderful neat time.

Date of stay: June 2019