“Expected more”
Review of Vault Steak House - CLOSED

Vault Steak House
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Has not been open long but has excellent food, wonderful steaks and seafood, especially good lobster and crab claw chowder. Elegant presentation, nice dining room, outside dining available. Not inexpensive, good service, good wines. Delicious desserts!
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Our initial impression upon entering the restaurant was not impressive. One enters through the rear door which is a short hallway into the dining area. The kitchen is also in this area & staff darts back & forth across the hallway while prepping food. We were there on a week night, they were not very busy. I can't imagine a busy night with people waiting.
I ordered the scallops over a bed of risotto supposedly complimented with spinach. A side of fresh (?) veggies were included. The scallops were slightly overdone. The risotto was rather tasteless, but they did pile it on the plate. Veggies almost tasted like yesterday's. Two others ordered the pork chop which they said was flavorful but a little tough & on the dry side. The mashed potatoes tasted homemade. Veggies were the same as mine. The other member in our party ordered the sirloin steak which was slightly on the tough side. Sides were repeated.
We were impressed with our waiter who was very knowledgable about the menu and also the history of the building. We realize because it is an historical building the owners are extremely limited as to modifications.
That being said, we will probably give it one more try during the summer months when the patio is open.

1  Thank spalfy

Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday, with a reservation, seated quickly. The mozzarella appetizer was delicious as was the lobster bisque. My husband ordered the mahiand I ordered the prime rib. Although it was good, my husband's fish was better than the probe rib.. this is a steak house. The cost plus 2 glasses of wine $115. I'm not sure I would go back. Good not OMG amazing

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to the Vault after a wine tour coordinated by His Majesty's B&B, located next door. It was the perfect way to top off the evening.

My wife and I were seated in a booth where we were able to take in the atmosphere of the small restaurant. Pictures and mug shots of legendary bank robbers decorated the walls. A black bank vault door loomed on one wall.

We brought in a bottle of wine purchased earlier at one of the wineries and our server graciously uncorked and served it (there is no charge for the first bottle).

We both started with soup (bisque for my wife and winter onion for me) and selected our dinner from the butcher's block.

My wife selected the filet mignon and I chose the 16 oz Prime Rib. Both were cooked to perfection, served with potatoes and vegetables of the day, and were delicious.

For dessert, we shared a Creme Brulee which was amazing.

All in all, it was an excellent meal, well prepared and served. Next time we visit wine country we will definitely stop in to the Vault.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Our family of 4 went on a Saturday evening to celebrate a birthday. We were seated promptly. The service was attentive but not pushy. The meals were perfectly cooked and served in a timely manner. The porterhouse steaks and table side Cesar salads were delicious. It's pricey but worth it for our special occasion. I highly recommend trying this restaurant.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Average overpriced food. Awful service. Ineffective and rude management. My father in law ordered his steak medium rare and it was well done. No biggie. The waiter took it back to the kitchen to get him another. The second one was also overlooked. Obviously not the waiter's fault, but had the manager come over. The manager agreed it was overcooked and took it back to the kitchen. Meanwhile, everyone else has finished their dinner.
The waiter comes to apologize and tells us that we won't be charged for the steak. The third time proves to be the charm and my father in law finally gets his medium rare steak. The waiter comes back and tells us that he is not going to be able to comp us the steak because he hadn't cleared it with the manager. At this point, we're all wondering why the manager would make this decision. We never saw him again. The manager, Joe, obviously told the waiter that he had to charge us for the steak and didn't have the decency to come back to our table and tell us himself.
Unfortunately this isn't the end of the debacle. The waiter came back again and told us "the table would receive dessert on the house" because of the steak issue. Most of us were full and didn't want anything else, but two desserts were ordered since it was "on the house".
When the check comes, the waiter tells us that he was able to get half off the steak. I'm thinking, "too little too late" but whatever, it's not the end of the world. Then I look at the bill. We were charged full price for the two "desserts on the house". We ask the waiter about it and he says they charged us for the desserts since we got half off the steak. Unbelievable. The desserts ended up being more money than the half off the steak.
Unless you're interested in a steak house that can't cook a steak correctly coupled with terrible service and a clearly incompetent manager, avoid The Vault at all costs.

1  Thank Graycooper