“MY WIFE AN I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS PLACE!!!”

Landoll's Mohican Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loudonville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had an amazing, romantic weekend. Our room was magnificent. (i'm not letting out which room we stayed in because thats our secret :) but it was awesome! everything was perfect. no complaints what so ever! great and friendly staff, beautiful place inside and out. we made memories we will never forget and WILL be going back. if you are a high end city person this probably isn't the place for you. this is a very quiet, laid back atmosphere to relax, read a book and enjoy nature and relax in your gorgeous room with a loved one and dining in a quaint little restaurant and then going down to mohican and canoeing, go carting and putt putting

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nathan M

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our time at the Castle very much. It was beautiful. We stayed in the Lawrence Suite which was lovely. The bathroom could use some updating but everything else in the suite was wonderful. I didn't care for the pool house. It is quite a walk - outside - from the actual castle to get there. The grotto was pretty but also felt a little yucky to me. The pool table was in horrible shape. My husband and I walked in and walked out without using any of those facilities. The hiking trails were barely discernible, but with Mohican State Park so close by, it didn't bother us too much. Despite those things, we had a great weekend away and I would still recommend it and like to go back myself. When you take a romantic getaway how much time do you really spend in the pool or playing billiards anyway?

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MissAnneZZ
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We visited the Mohican Castle for our 25 anniversary...6 years ago.It is tucked way back in and down in the valley.It is very secluded.It was nice and quiet.Each room has a different theme.It has changed a bit since we were there last.We just visited the grounds and took a look around.The gift shop and restaurant looked different.But there was an event going on,so we did't gon inside.Please note this was in 2006!

Room Tip: Rooms are themed...number of people in the party would be a factor....all of them are pretty cool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda R
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Interesting place, but we got to hear our "neighbors" in their "romantic encounters" quite clearly. I finally banged on the wall and yelled--"we can hear you!" and they quieted down. Restaurant was only fair. Front desk staff was curt, not helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kismet941
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had read how other people had a terrible time here and I was a little concerned. But the second I walked in to the Landoll Suite, those fears were squashed. It was such a romantic weekend for my fiance and I and we didn't want to leave. The restaurant on the grounds wasn't too upscale yet the taste of the food made you think it was. The whole place was a great escape from the confines of the modern world. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Landoll suite was immaculate
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bill D
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I read that in an earlier review but I was skeptical -- how could anything that looked so gorgeous be so bad? I now have that answer! Their website is very misleading. Like so many others who wrote these negative reviews I have read I found the place to be run down and actually shabby inside and out. I think one person said this castle was "under seige" -- that was so accurate! You can tell whatever money is being made by this business is not being put back into it -- decks and doors needs sanded and stained, the walls and ceilings need patched and painted, the grounds are overgrown. This property is totally neglected if not downright unsafe! My husband (an engineer) couldn't believe this business was actually still able to operate (he saw metal connectors holding trusses rusted right through and wires dangling off of buildings -- scary!). There is no fitness center, just an empty room where it might have been. The pool is a lot smaller than pictured and looks like it sure could use a few coats of paint. We couldn't stay in that area for more than a few minutes because it was so humid (my husband thinks the ventilation system is shot). The grounds probably were beautiful at one time (I read about the thousands of dollars put into the landscaping but that had to be many, many, many years ago). And the long winding paths to and from the far away parking well, great idea but in reality, it's just too winding and too far! I heard they had a different restaurant that burned down; it was supposed to be beautiful (like everything else at this place was supposed to be beautiful IN A DIFFERENT "ERA"). But the restaurant that's there now leaves a lot to be desired. There is no atmosphere, the "chef" looked to be about 19, and the server was an older woman who looked really tired and acted like she didn't want to be bothered. Like I read in another review she never came back to check on us and if she had, she would have learned that I wanted to order something else. I've never had any waitress never ask me if I wanted more water or coffee at the end of my meal. The deserts were advertised as homemade and I suppose they were but they weren't presented well (and they were very overpriced). I guess I should mention that, too -- this restaurant was empty! I guess some people would say having only four or five customers in a restaurant makes it "cozy" but I think it's just one more indication this is not where one wants to go and spend this kind of money. The walls were painted a horrible 1980's shade of green with curtains with six layers of dust on them. I wanted to take pictures of the cobwebs (with spiders and dead flies in them) in the several areas of this restaurant (my husband said his heart couldn't take the walk back to the car to get my camera!). The next morning my husband and I thought we could really check out the land because I also read (straight from the Home page) about the "morning walks through private forestland". Apparently, as this other reviewer already noted, these owners sold the "forestland". I could see the "DO NOT TRESPASS" signs so the review I read was right -- stay off the adjoining property and yet what do you do on THIS PROPERTY? I would have thought there would have been at least a few things to do but there really was nothing. Maybe someone should change this website about A LOT OF THINGS? I don't know how anyone can really give this a positive review (unless it's a relative). So my advice is the exact same thing I already read about in another review posted in trip advisor: Drive up, take a picture, drive away!

Room Tip: Talking to the one other couple there, they were as disappointed with the quality of their room (and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Mary B
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Loved the room & decor. The room was very comfortable like home. The location of the castle was very relaxing & quiet. We would love to go back again sometime.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Archer M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loudonville
Berlin Resort
Comfort Suites Berlin Hotel & Conference Center
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 4 in Millersburg

Been to Landoll's Mohican Castle? Share your experiences!