“Terrible service, ok food”

Rosecafe at Lakeview Beach
Ranked #33 of 57 Restaurants in Lorain
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Go here anyway because the location on the beach is fabulous. Get a table outside and order a glass of wine and some food and try to ignore the weirdness around you. The food is entirely edible, just nothing worth writing home about, but the service was abysmal.

We went here on a beautiful Friday afternoon and many, but not all, of the tables were full. We weren't greeted by anyone, but one of my party inquired at the bar about seating. Someone came around with menus and said "What do you want to drink?" We said we didn't know since we hadn't seen a menu or even had a table yet, and she told us she'd bring water and to sit wherever. The water came, inexplicably, in to-go coffee cups.

About 45 seconds after we sat down, the server asked if we were ready to order. The menu is a reasonable size, so we hadn't even read through it yet. I said that we needed a minute and she said, "Ok well there are 28 orders in ahead of yours. Only one cook," and stood there as though that made us decide. We asked for a minute, again.

When we did order we were told that there were now 32 orders in front of us and it could take up to an hour. The view was great though, and the day gorgeous, so we decided to stay put and enjoy the sun and lake breeze. The food came within 20 minutes, so I have no idea what all the fuss was about. The server went through the same spiel with the other tables that sat down after we did.

The food was ok. The presentation was nice but it just tasted like Sysco food. I can't complain about it, although I generally prefer something more interesting. But it was fine. The problem when it came is that the server brought two of our three meals. She then served another table their meals. When she walked by she realized she was missing one meal from out table, and that she had served it to the other table. And she went to that table, retrieved the food, and served it to our table. To me, this is a cardinal service sin. You do NOT give food to someone else once it ahs been in front of another customer.

Finally at the end, our server brought the check and said we had to bring it inside because she didn't have time to collect it. I don't know if the routine is normally to pay at the register--it might be, and that's fine-- but I found the explanation off-putting. She asked us if we wanted more water, and even though we said no, she brought 3 more coffee-cups of water, so now we had gone through 6 styrofoam cups and lids for no reason...