“The milk was a spoiler...”

Holiday Inn Express London I-70
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was expecting a certain minimal level of comfort - a clean room and an edible breakfast and on my way. I have stayed in a number of Holiday Inn Express locations and they are what they are, but this place was a horror story. The young woman who checked me in at 11:00 PM was a delight: warm, friendly, welcoming, and helpful. So far so good. A sandwich and a soda from the Subway that she warned me NOT to walk to, due to homeless people in the woods. It's really close by, so I'd have been tempted to walk. The room was shabby, but clean, and I was pretty tired, so sleeping would not be a problem even if there were noise from the huge truck stop (which there was not). Complaints? 1) Who puts a sheer curtain in a window on the FIRST FLOOR of a hotel? - no way to fully close the drapes, so I had to try to sleep a few feet away from a window that anyone passing by could easily have peeped into. REALLY BAD IDEA, folks. 2) On my way out the door early in the morning, I grabbed a cup of decaf under the watchful eye of "grumpy grandma," ate a half bagel, and took my morning meds and vitamins with a container of skim milk I took from the guest breakfast fridge. I popped the pills into my mouth, took a gulp of the milk and, too late realized that the milk was spoiled. How disgusting is that? How much trouble could it possibly be to check the expiration date on the cartons of milk? I told myself to swallow, because I couldn't afford to spit out my medication. UGH. I poured the remaining milk into the sink and watched in horror as the clumps of old, congealed sour milk plopped out of the container. This is not an experience I will ever repeat.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor if you want to be sure no peepeing Toms can peep at you, and since...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London I-70, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear LATraveller77,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our property. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express London I-70

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We enjoyed a pleasant stay at this Holiday Inn Express in the summer of 2012 so we were expecting an easy stay again. We were not let down. The staff was friendly and professional. The hotel was clean, comfortable, and well maintained. We had a great time and would return again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

So expect a 8 minute drive from the hotel to the city of london. It's pretty far north of 40. and london is pretty far south of 40.
The hotel itself is a bit oldish...but clean enough in the room and breakfast area.
No USA today in the morning by 7:30 or they were all snatched up.

The food was typical holiday inn, really dried out eggs, the pancake machine went a bit nuts for a while but was raised from the dead by the breakfast lady.

Holiday inn must have recently switched scents of soap away from the cinnamon roll scent to the new white grape fruit scent, which I prefer. The old cinnamon roll scented soaps left me sticky and always left little crumbs to plug up the drain . the new one leaves you smelling clean and are certainly worth stealing any extra from your room.

Check in was a little screwy but their computers were being updated over night . And check out was fine. I stayed on points so it was essentially free. But this place is out in the middle of nowhere..miles from anything. it's near a mcdonalds, tacobells, motel 6 and a TA truck stop/restaurant but otherwise.........miles to go to hit civilization.

Internet was ok a bit slow around 9pm.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank willdriveforfood
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The staff goes out of their way to make people comfortable and satisfied. It is nice to stay at a hotel you can trust is clean and well maintained. This is this best choice for a place to stay if you have to be in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SuelotaS
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here one night while traveling from WV to TX. Angie was especially helpful with reservations, and all staff went above expectations to make our stay with 2 grand kids pleasant. Nice pool, good breakfast, clean room, comfortable beds. Fast food restaurants nearby, easy access to I 70. No complaints, would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank abqsteelerfan
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Room was very clean, bed comfortable, air conditioning was a life saver as we rode motorcycles all day in 90 plus temperature , great breakfast bar.there is a large truck stop near and thought the noise would be bad but did not hear a thing. There is a restaurant and several fast food places within walking distant

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Spent one night at this hotel on July 14th. I checked in around 2am and Sara I believe her name was was extremely nice. Location had 2 24 hour restaurants near by (subway and Arbys) which came in use when I got hungry later in the night. When I got in the room I was impressed with the size and appreciated the separated couch area and micro fridge. When I grabbed the remote I noticed it was a REAL DIRECTV remote which controlled an actual HD box like you would have at home with a guide and every channel was the same. I have stayed in many Ritz Carlton's and Intercontinental Hotels and NONE have had anything like that so A++ in that category. Breakfast the next day was the typical HI Express experience but had sausage links instead of patties and eggs without cheese and to say the least they didn't taste very good. It would be nice to see a menu from day to day that also included bacon, potatoes, and the cheesy omelets as they taste much better that just the egg patties alone even if it had to be rotating or on special request. As always though the Cinnamon Rolls didn't let me down and were nice and warm. The only other issue I really had was the stairwells and hallways near the end where my room was had an odd B.O. (Body Odor) smell with smoke smell. Other than that this hotel exceeded my expectations and just having the real DirecTV experience alone will make me come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tyler C
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Best Western Suites
Hampton Inn Springfield
Hampton Inn Springfield
#1 of 14 in Springfield
Comfort Suites Columbus West Hilliard

Been to Holiday Inn Express London I-70? Share your experiences!