“We Keep Coming Back to The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls

The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls
Ranked #1 of 3 Logan B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“We Keep Coming Back to The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We first discovered The Inn at Cedar Falls and Hocking Hills about 10 years ago. It was literally "love at first sight", and we have returned 3-4 times a year over the last 10 years.
We NEVER get tired of returning, and in fact, we start to become sad when our visit is over because it might be a few months until we return. For us, The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls has become the equivalent of a vacation home, but without any of the burdens of ownership and maintainence.
Every aspect of the experience is superlative, including in no certain order of importance (because they are all important to us), the serenity, the privateness, the accomodations, the quality of the food, the attentiveness of the staff, and the beautiful surroundings and excellent and diverse hiking trails.
We have stayed at many B&Bs over the years in many different states and no other B&B comes close to meeting and exceeding our expectations like The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
We appreciate you writing such a glowing review about us. We are blessed to have special repeat guests like you. Do you have a favorite season? Winter is mine and it's just around the corner. Looking forward to seeing you again. Enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Each time I arrive at The Inn at Cedar Falls is like coming home again. It is a treasured location in Hocking Hills, Ohio. There is a creative energy that flows through and in this place that is easily felt. The attention to detail is top-notch, dedicated and friendly staff and wonderful food. The Inn has superb meeting facilities which are great to use for my presentation of photography workshops. The owner's love of the nature of the area can be seen in every addition they make to their facilities, especially the use of the native White-pine in the "Gathering Space." Spectacular views of sunrise from the hilltop. Many of my best-selling and award winning photographs were captured at The Inn at Cedar Falls. It is a very special place.

Room Tip: Personally I enjoy the cottages the most because of the ease of parking right at the front door and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Your photographs are as awesome as you are! Thanks for the wonderful compliments. I'm so happy that everything we offer works well for you and your workshops. See you next time.
Powell, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

It's been a little while since our last visit, and I'm looking forward to return soon. My husband and I came for our anniversary weekend. We spent two nights in a cabin that was cozy and set back in the woods. The staff was very accomodating to book our zipline appointment, spa treatments, and dinner reservation. Dinner was fantastic, and I also loved how close we were to the caves for our hike. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: we like the cabins
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matina Z
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for writing about your stay. We are centrally located within 3 miles of Old Mans Cave, Cedar Falls and Ash Cave. You can walk to Rose Lake too. We look forward to your return.
Ferdinand, IN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This Inn is a member of the Select Registry we too expected more than we experienced just like the couple who stayed in the same cabin (tree house) before we did and posted (tempra23). We were very excited after reading the reviews and thought we were in for a treat at a charming Inn and found out we were not.

Our cabin was not clean when we arrived we found a dirty floor. The bathroom had an odor of sewage that got worse each day it was not the odor of the sulfur from the water it was sewage. We also found spiders in the bathroom the book on the table tells you, you will find bugs to just use the fly swatter to kill them. It is hard to take the luggage down the spiral stair case so we use the outdoor stairs in the back of the cabin. There was no glass in the bathroom to use when we brushed our teeth. There was poison ivy growing up the outside of the window.We brought some of our own food only to find the fully stocked kitchen only had a small mini fridge it was very inconvenient. The mattress and pillows were not that comfortable. At night we could hear mice in the walls and upstairs. I read the journal that Inn guess are encouraged to write in and found there has been a spider and mouse problem for some time.

We stayed 2 nights the second night our soaps lotions, teas and cocoas were not refilled we paid full price for the second night you would think we would receive refills the housekeeping the second day was very very light. We left a couple glasses in the sink when we left the first morning the cleaning staff washed them but failed the clean the tub! When we turned on the whirlpool the first night quite a bit of dirt came out of the jets it was not iron it was dirt. I wonder when they were last cleaned. This Inn has a book in the room telling you all the ways you can become green we saw so many simple ways they could be practicing them and were not. They only seem to want to do things that would save them money.

We made reservations at the on site restaurant and were told they only had one left so we took it. While waiting for our table one of the owners came in and told the waitress someone 10 minutes away just phoned in a reservation and told her what they wanted to order so they wouldn't have to wait so long for their food and we were told we had gotten the last reservation we waited over an hour for our food! I ordered Herb Crusted Chicken I guess they ran our of herbs there were none I did find lots of small bones for what it cost you would think they would remove the bones. We saw 3 empty tables the entire time we dinned. We had to beg for water and bread refills and never got a refill on our butter. We wanted to order dessert but didn't want to wait another hour for it. There was nothing special about the food for the high price and the small portions. Breakfast was nothing special and was the same thing every day only 1 thing changed on the menu. They offered yogurt, granola and fresh fruit this was in a corner next to the door you were always in some ones way and they were usually out of something. The waiting staff all had a fake force smile on they face none of them seemed very happy. When dinning here you are asked to turn your phone off and not to talk on it so you did not disturb other guess but yet the 3 times we dinned here we had to listen to the cook yelling out waitresses names and table numbers that was very disturbing indeed! There were envelops in the dinning room and in the cabin asking for tips, how tacky.

We did tell the lady behind the desk about some of our issues and her reply was "oh" so we saw no reason to tell her more. We noticed no one stayed at the front desk they were always in the other room talking we were told if we needed any thing to let them know but yet when we did tell her our issues she did nothing to help us.

We do not recommend staying at this Inn there are so many other places to stay it is a lovely area to visit.

Room Tip: Find another place to stat we wish we would have.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank couplefromIN
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your unhappiness. I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. Select Registry does have a rigorous inspection and I'm proud to say we have received high marks. I encourage any of our guests to notify us immediately during their stay if they are not totally satisfied so we can do our best to take care of any problems immediately.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on two other occasions, loved the inn and the area and decided to come back for another long weekend. Once again we had a great overall time but wondered if just maybe the inn was "slipping" just a hair?

We had always been impressed with the owner's presence in the past, but other than seeing Terry briefly one morning at breakfast we didn't see them. I wonder if their not being around much has let the staff cut a few corners?

When we checked in their were two people at the desk. It was 3 and they were busy. Yet, I was left to feel like I was just a little bit invisible. We stopped by the gift shop three other times during our stay and each time the people at the desk were busy standing in the back talking about what they were doing or going to do and I stood....ignored....I guess I could understand it happening once, but it was repeated. Guess I thought the customer always came first?

The wait staff in the restaurant was not that way at all. Other reviewers have had some complaints about them but I thought they were terrific. Prompt, courteous, able to explain the menu and the specials. I loved them. The food was great as it always has been. The new chef served everything perfectly! In all our trips there, I had never had the steak and finally enjoyed it one evening. Outstanding! The selection of wines are good and fairly priced.

We stayed in one of the cottages up on the loop. It was well tended, well supplied and clean. Housekeepers did a good job. Enjoyed watching the deer roam by in the early evening. Sat out on the back porch and smoked a cigar one night enjoying the quiet of nature.

One evening we went on a night walk with the local naturalist. The folks at the front desk have his schedule. He's a character and told ghost stories as we wandered in the dark of Ash Cave. We had been on his walks before and I encourage you to make him part of your trip! This is a great place to get away, be with a loved one and roam the countryside and state parks.

With just a little attention to detail I'd again rank this inn a 5 star.

Room Tip: The cottages in my opinion are far better than the motel rooms by the restaurant. We chose one with...
2 Thank rhch
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Our repeat guests know us better than anyone. I'm sorry I didn't have the chance to visit with you this time. Glad you were able to chat with Terry, if only for a little while. You are correct that after 26 years, we are starting to take more time away from the business. We are blessed to have an excellent staff to allow us to do so. I'm glad you found that with our wait staff. I will make sure we discuss with the office staff the need to acknowledge and spend time with all of our guests. If you notify me when you come next, perhaps I can make it a point to be there to visit. Surely, we want to be a "five star" with you.
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This inn is part of the Select Registry, in fact the innkeeper/owner is even president of the organization. Therefore I had high hopes that everything would be pretty much perfect. Guess I should have lowered the bar.

We stayed in tree house.
The cabin was clean. It was nicely set in the woods and we didn't hear and road traffic. The main living room is on the entrance floor with the bedroom downstairs. There are spiral stairs to the bedroom which make it hard to carry luggage down. We just used the outside stairs connecting the back porches and it was much easier.

The whole cabin had a bit of a musty smell but we opened the windows and it was fine. One dad we came back and there were a dozen flys near the top windows in the living room. We killed them but didn't see where they were coming from.

If you are planning on cooking be aware TEHRE IS NO LARGE FRIDGE OR FREEZER. The pictures on the websites show a large fridge in most of the cabin pictures. This cabin only had a small mini bar fridge. This was not an issue for us since we cooked the day we got there but if we were planning cooking more this would have been an issue.

The bed was just average to almost poor. The sheets were great though since they use the COMPHY brand microfiber ones. We had no issues with hot water running out.
Do take your own hairdryer! Even tho they have one its just an attached-to-the-wall unit and it seems to only have one setting: really hot.
The little soaps and things were from China. They are "green" products but if an inn is trying to be more green I would think it would be better to use products available locally/USA. Shipping them from halfway across the world isn't really 'green'.

The FOOD
Based no the reviews I was expecting the food and breakfasts to be great. They were not. Each day you have the same exact menu with one 'special of the day". If you don't like the special of the day it gets boring picking from the same thing over and over again
Juices/Coffee/Tea etc
Then you pick one of the following
Special fo the day
Steel Cut Oatmeal with toppings (brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit)
Eggs (any style)
and then 2 sides from toast, bacon, sausage, muffins

There is also a table set up with yogurt, fruit salad, granola and whole fruit.

One day I asked if I could get a little cheese or ham in my scrambled eggs and the waitress said no cause that stuff was alll put away. Really? I'm paying over 300 a night and can't get a little cheese even? that annoyed me.
the muffins were good but overhyped I think. The one day it was a blueberry muffin and both of ours only have 3 blueberries in them.

We also has dinner one night. The roasted chicken was average, There was not enough seasoning on it for being "Herb Crusted". I was more like herb dusted and it could have used more cranberry sauce to cover up the dryness. The steak was cooked well temperature wise but again lacked seasoning. The dessert Crème Brule was not good at all. It was not creamy and I wished we would have just sent it back.
The food was not up to par as other select registry inns we've stayed at. It was just very average and too expensive for average food.

The entire time we were there the serivce in the dining room was so-so. The breakfast people never seemed happy except for one waitress. The actual innnkeeper/owner was also around at breakfast but she never introduced herself.
Our server for dinner seemed bothered to be working. She was slow to fill water, we had to stop another waitress for it and she also forgot our bread and didn't bring it out until 20 minutes later right before our food.
The front desk people were ok. I think the friendliest person we meet was the head housekeeper.

The hocking hills area was nice. I'm glad I saw everyting that I wanted to so I don't need to return to the area. I would recommend the area but not this inn. Maybe rent a personal cabin, There were a lot of ads for those in the area.

Room Tip: cottages are a better price then a cabin unless you want to cook on a stove
2 Thank tempra23
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
I am so sorry that you didn't receive the excellent care we strive to give all of our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I have discussed all of your concerns with each of our department managers.
Please come again as we would like to try again to make you a "raving fan". Anytime you are not 100% happy, please let us know during your stay so we can do everything we can to make it right.
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Friends and I returned to the Inn and the same cabin, Hickory Hollow, this Fall and were again impressed. The property is wonderful and secluded while very close to most of the local trailheads. With the Fall colors just past their peak, it was absolutely beautiful. Although we worried when we read that the executive chef had left earlier this year, the food remained as delectable as it was last year. Once again, the stay provided relaxation, quiet, natural beauty and fresh air. The full moon really made the property glow.

Room Tip: 3 women shared Hickory Hollow which I believe is the only one with 3 beds. One is a bunk though so...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan B
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hickory Hollow is an ideal cabin for a girls getaway or families. We pride ourselves on outstanding food, even when one of our talented chefs has left. By the way, our new Exec Chef, Jeramy started this week. Come back soon and try him out.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Christopher Inn & Suites
Christopher Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Chillicothe

Been to The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls? Share your experiences!