“Why did we wait so long?”

and 1 more site!
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls
Ranked #1 of 3 Logan B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I have read glowing accounts of the Inn at Cedar Falls ever since it opened (25 years ago?), but we only recently made our first visit. It won't be our last.

We spent two nights in a second floor Inn room, and since it was a midweek, midwinter visit, there didn't seem to be any other guests in the Inn rooms (others were staying in cottages or cabins), so we had absolute peace and quiet. On our first evening we looked out one of our room windows to see a fox on the prowl in the adjacent meadow! The room was perfectly adequate - a VERY comfy queen-sized bed, a small desk and upright chair, two upholstered chairs, a freestanding fireplace/heater, a window unit for heat and A/C (the latter not an issue in February!), and a small refrigerator. Each afternoon there were a couple of Inn-baked cookies waiting for us on the desk (peanut butter one day, sugar cookies the next).

Inn rooms, such as the one we stayed in, are not in the same building as the dining room and lounge, but behind it and up a hill in a large, barn-like building of their own. I can believe that, as an earlier reviewer said, the soundproofing between the rooms is not very effective, but since we had no neighbors during our stay, noise was not an issue. If we return in a busier period, we'll probably choose a cottage for silence and privacy, but in foul weather we were happy to have only a short walk to the dining room.

The included breakfast, available only to Inn guests, is . . . simply wonderful. It begins with a help-yourself buffet of fruit, yogurt, and homemade granola. Then there is a choice among three hot options: eggs (prepared however you like), steel-cut oats, or a daily special (for us it was excellent quiche one day and heavenly pancakes with maple syrup the next), each served with a couple of sides of the diner's choice. Really terrific.

Dinner is by reservation only, and open to the general public. In winter months dinner is not served every night of the week, which influenced when we scheduled our stay since we intended to eat dinner at the Inn both nights, and I'd rate our meals as very good - outstanding in some parts but not all. Over our two nights we tried two salads (just fine); a scrumptious, spicy black-bean soup; a very interesting appetizer of naan (Indian flatbread) with caramelized onions, apples, and I don't remember what else (messy to eat but yummy); and 3 different entrees. My husband had a chicken breast with sage, fennel, caramelized onions served atop sweet potato gnocchi, and I could have happily eaten a bowl of the sauce with a spoon! The chicken breast was overcooked in its thin end, OK in the thicker part. My scallop dish was good, but for the price three diver scallops seemed a bit skimpy, and they were slightly over-seared. The pumpkin ravioli, though, was absolutely fabulous. I don't remember what all was in it - at least sage, nuts, and dried cranberries - (and the winter menu is no longer posted online for my reference), but both of us were in heaven eating it.

Desserts were fine - there was an excellent flourless chocolate cake (more like a chocolate paté), a tasty fruit cobbler served warm with ice cream, and a rum/raisin creme brulee that tasted very good but lacked the expected smooth texture (perhaps it had reached too high a temperature at some point). The wine list is ample with several good options by the glass, and there are various other alcoholic options we didn't explore at all.

Service at both breakfast and dinner was truly friendly and efficient, which made for a lovely atmosphere, as did the rambling rustic building, which, beyond the tavern and dining spaces includes the inviting Fireside Lounge as well as a meeting room at the far end.

I was impressed by the items available in the gift shop and bought several things that had been made locally - although I'm usually not much of a shopper. Both my husband and I also had massages at the beautifully-sited spa, which we enjoyed, particularly after hiking through the spectacular icy winterscape of Old Man's Cave and the Grandma Gatewood trail. Throughout our stay, every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. Unlike the experience of a previous reviewer, we were asked upon arrival if we needed help with our luggage.

Be aware that except for a few handicapped spaces, parking for the Inn rooms (as opposed to the cottages or cabins) and restaurant is located on the other side of State Route 374, and the unpaved parking lot can be messy and muddy in rain or snow. But, after all, this is a rustic area in one of the state's most naturally scenic and rugged areas, so one deals with the topographic limitations! There are beautiful, easy walks in the area as well as more extensive hikes within just a few minutes' drive of the Inn.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hamelia
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

What can I say, but, "WOW", thanks for the glowing report. And, in such detail. Need I say more, except we can't wait til you return!

There are newer reviews for The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Love this place for its location, accomodations and service but the dinners are too pretentious and expensive. We spent almost $800 for 2 nights. Plus the Valentine's Day dinner @ $55 per person was not worth it. Next time we'll take our own food and heat it up in the microwave.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage that faces the woods. That way the lights at the Inn and the parking lot won't...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thanks for your lovely response especially mentioning that we are surrounded by Old Man's Cave and Cedar Falls, in the heart of Hocking Hills State Park. I agree, we have impeccable service. Wish I knew which cozy cottage you were in so we could investigate how to take care of any lights that shine in, let us know next time you visit. Also, I apologize the food wasn't to your satisfaction. Anytime, you are not 100% satisfied, please inform us so we may make it so.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to the inn for Valentine's day. We stayed in a cottage and purchased the romance package. We had a mix up with a dinner reservation and they ended up taking the meal charge off our bill. That was nice. The place is very nice but I must warn there are really no facilities for a handicap person. My husband has some mobility issues (he uses a cane) and getting around was difficult for him. Parking for the inn and restaurant is across a busy highway and if you are not lucky enough to get a place in the front, you may have to walk down a hill and back up. It was slippery. We solved that issue by dropping my husband off at the restaurant but I wonder why there is no handicap parking? Also, getting to the spa was difficult as well. There were many steps and the path was slippery as well. So if you don't gave any issues getting around, this place is very nice. The cottage we stayed in could use some fluffy bath rugs and better towels. The robes were very nice!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amyjsloan
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for expressing your concerns. We pride ourselves on taking care of our guests who inform us of special requests or needs. I apologize that we didn't know about yours.
We designed the Sumac cottage to accommodate specific mobility issues. The Gathering Place has a concrete pad and a sign for handicapped parking. As a second option, guests can park next to the restaurant. At the spa, guests can pull into the lower parking lot. We are in the process of desigining a ramp. On your next visit, we hope you take advantage of these options and please inform us of any special requests you may have so we may better serve you.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I are not a couple with a lot of monetary wealth but been blessed in life with much love. I start out this way because that is how we feel about those who own and care for this Inn. They take pride and devote much love to this place. They treat their customers with warmth and graciousness.

We started our adventure after receiving a 30 yr wedding anniversary gift certificate from Living Social from our children. Then the bottom fell out. My husband went in for routine surgery and died on the table. They brought him back but obviously our trip was off. My mother contacted the Inn as I was a wreck and they were beyond accommodating. We finally did go and celebrate 3 months later and enjoyed every aspect of the place. The food was wonderful, the cottage was perfect. The owners and staff were gracious, and accommodating. We left feeling like we were leaving family.

We recently returned on January 2 for another getaway with our Corgi. Again, the most peaceful and relaxing two days we could have ever asked for. The dinner menu and breakfast menu are “fixed” but the food is delicious no matter what we ordered. We stayed at the Jasmine Cottage and then the Trillium. We enjoyed the Trillium more but only because it is pet-friendly. This is truly the place to go for a quiet , relaxing getaway to reconnect to your loved one(s) and nature.

We are returning in April for the Wildflowers and Waterfalls Hike. My husband cannot hike or exercise much past a very short walk, but enjoys his stay here while I hike by reading on the porch or in the cottage by the fire. The area is beautiful with its many caves, great trails and state parks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SheliBG
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Your message says it all about our committed staff. We are lucky to have such wonderful guests like you. Can't wait til you return.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I visited the inn 23 years ago on our first anniversary. It was much smaller and the owner did the cooking in the kitchen! We revisited the inn this past fall. The expanded log cabin area is very cozy where dinner and breakfast are served. The breakfast was wonderful, the dinner was fine, but not outstanding. The issue we had is with the rooms. The rooms at the "inn" are very well worn. The bathrooms are very dated. The charm has been lost. The rooms were much more rustic when first opened. Cheap carpet was added. A small free standing heater stood in the corner , while it was called a fireplace in the room description. The rooms are very pricey for what you get. We were really disappointed. We have not stayed in the cabins.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn K
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Wow, thanks for coming back to visit after 23 years. I apologize that our newly redecorated rooms were not to your liking. We added carpet to the second floor rooms to minimize the sound of guests walking on wood plank floors (which are still on the first floor rooms), refrigerators and a few rooms have electric fireplaces. Also, many pictures were changed to flowers and birds which are in tune with our wooded Hocking Hills setting.
Don't stay away another 23 years, come back and try a cozy cottage or 1840s log cabin. Perhaps, you will like them better.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We enjoyed 2 nights at the Inn at Cedar Falls in July 2012. I would make a return visit, found it to be just what we needed. If you want to be with nature, do some hiking, do some swimming or zip-lines, this is the place to go. The state park is beautiful, you won't be disappointed, check out the many caves & hiking trails. The breakfast was really delicious & quite filling. You have access to bottle water, coffee, tea & hot chocolate in the common area. We stayed in the inn, would like to stay in a cabin or cottage next time. Enjoyed dinner at the restaurant, food was good, but a little pricey.

Room Tip: If you could afford it, I would recommend staying in a cabin or cottage, the rooms at the inn are ok...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HubbardDreamer
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed here many times and always look forward to our return trip. The scenery is so peaceful and the staff is more like family. The food really sets this place apart from anywhere else. The cheese ball to the wonderful meals to the peanut butter cookies!!! We have stayed in the Inn, the cabins and the cottages. All our fantastic, depending on what you are looking for. If you stay here, be prepared for a truly wonderful getaway!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Holiday Inn Express Lancaster
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens

Been to The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls? Share your experiences!