“As good as it gets”

Ranked #1 of 3 Logan B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“As good as it gets”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband and I travel frequently all over the U.S. and the world, and The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls measures up to any place we've been. Beautiful location in the Hocking Hills, charming and comfortable accommodations, delightful staff, fabulous food. After just one day in this tranquil setting out of the reach of cell phones you feel renewed and revitalized. And we love those "Comfy Sheets"!

1 Thank Beth E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I spent the Thanksgiving weekend at the Inn and Spa at Cedar Falls. This was our second trip there, the last being a year or two ago. We'd had a ball that time and decided to give it another go. We all know how when you go back to a place your really loved, it's never as good? Untrue. This trip was as good as it gets. I was a little concerned that the checkin might be a problem since we arrived on Thanksgiving afternoon, but it was as easy and smooth as one could ask. We stayed in the Ironweed cottage. We love the relative isolation of the cottages. The quiet, the lack of a tv, the lack of a phone, the isolation...did I mention the quiet? At any rate, once we got settled into the cottage we roamed down to the lodge for our Thanksgiving meal. God, it was amazing. The turkey was to die for! The service throughout the weekend was great. We hiked through the state parks enjoying Cedar Falls, Ash Cave and Old Man's Cave. They're all worth the walk. I'm no spring chicken and I still enjoyed the hikes! My wife and I drove around the area...over to Logan, up to Lancaster, over to Laurelville and enjoyed the scenery. It was fun to get off the highways onto the back roads and explore a bit.

We enjoyed our cottage. Last time we'd been in another but this one was very similar with a king sized bed, sitting area, fireplace and hot tub. The bathroom is spacious as well. The breakfasts each day were wonderful, filling and gourmet. We ate dinner at the lodge one other night and had a pork chop that might have been the best we'd ever eaten. We both recommend this inn to you for a romantic get away. I'm sure we'll be back.

We didn't do it this trip cause of the Holiday but if you get a chance attend some of the naturalist's hikes and presentations, they're well worth the time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Wow, you are for hire! I couldn't write a better story about us than you did. Like many of our guests you enjoyed the seclusion of the cottage on it's own two acres. Try Strong Wolf cabin next time, it's on 35 acres. Happy Holidays.
Ohio
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Just returned from either our 5th or 6th Thanksgiving at the Inn; I have lost track of the exact number...what a wonderful experience. This time we stayed in the Hepatica Cottage and like all the cottages it was perfect. Rustic but Not. Very comfortable, cozy and utterly peaceful. We love the absence of all media, no phone, no TV, no cellular service. Indeed I rue the day when the cell service inevitably catches up with this area!

Our Thanksgiving Meal was sublime...everything one could desire for such a nostalgic meal, with none of the labour or cleanup! This year we had planned on a fierce scrabble game after dinner but found ourselves reading by the fire and soon after nodding off...after a wonderful long nights sleep we enjoyed a very tasty breakfast before reluctantly packing up to head home.

We are so grateful for this Inn, this refuge, escape ,this place of transformative thoughts and talks and walks. We are equally grateful for the wonderful staff who so willingly work on this holiday and do such an incredible job.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellen G, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We are blessed to have so many guests like you that return year after year. Thanksgiving is a fun filled time and we are glad you share it with us. We look forward to seeing you next year, if not sooner.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Inn Keepers, Ellen and Terry, know their business well. The Inn is a delightful combination of rooms, cabins and cottages located in Hocking Hills. Lots do do and see in the area and at the end of the day come and relax. Have a drink and dinner and just unwind. Then do it again tomorrow .

• Stayed March 2012
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We are celebrating our 25th year in business and are delighted that you like what we have created. Terry and I look forward to your next visit.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My first impression that this was going to be a great experience were these reviews. So forgive me, when i see 4 stars, i think for the experience i received here from beginning to end, i wish there was an extra 5 stars to give this place.
Ellen, the owner, just casually walked up to our breakfast table and said would you like some more coffee. She could have been another staff person, but i stopped to ask who she was, and she told me. Her hospitality, and the story of this place are so rich, it was worth the nearly 6 hours it took back and forth from Pittsburgh PA to Ohio... done in 2 days. I wish we could have stayed more than just the night. Next time i'm flying to Columbus and going to the spa. My team and i hope to work with Ellen and her future brides for photos and music, though this was a leisure trip this time around. Again, it would be worth the flight out from Cali to Columbus to paradise.
The dinner was FANTASTIC. The service was PHENOMENAL. The breakfast was DELICIOUS. The cottage was quaint, simple, beautiful, and restful. Ellen and her team of chefs, wait staff, desk personnel, and everyone who helped us, or simply greeted us deserves major kudos for putting such great energy and happy vibes in this wonderful getaway.
Thank you all for making us feel so welcomed. We hope to return (soon). ;-)
One warning for all those coming from places unfamiliar to woods... if you travel in the Fall, be wary the deer...so do yourselves a favor, and DO NOT travel at night into this location... it gets too dark to see, and we will not be doing that again. Though we fortunately did not have a run in with any of Bambi's family - the scare alone put us on edge. Fortunately, once we arrived, the warm smiles put us back at ease.

Room Tip: We stayed at Larkspur Cottage. It's secluded and away from the main gathering area. For a true g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank comedicmuse
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
The best part of my job is spending time with our guests at breakfast. It gives me the chance to make new friends and see those guests who return time and time again.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was our third stay at the Inn, and it is always a relaxing getaway. The spa services were extremely good and very well priced. Loved the folks working there. Would have to say that was the highlight of this stay. The breakfasts and dinners were also spectacular, and the reason why we keep coming back to the Inn. Servers were very friendly and engaging. It goes without saying that the scenery was great in October, but you can stay anywhere in Hocking Hills and have that scenery.

We were coming with another couple and so stayed in Redbud with two bedrooms. Really cute and comfortable for 4 people! Have to say I was a little disappointed to realize that not only did we not have a hot tub, but there was also no bathtub in either of the bathrooms. After a strenuous day of hiking, I would have really enjoyed soaking in some warm water! It would also have been nice to have had the ability to watch a movie with our friends at least one evening since we were there for three nights. No desire to watch t.v. but would have been nice to pop in a dvd at night.

Might consider trying another spot next time with a few more features and less expensive price tag....

Room Tip: Book very early for Fall leaf season and check whether you will get a hot tub or a bath tub in your...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pedalmom
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Appreciate the kudos about our service. Certainly, our specialty. All cottages and some cabins have two person whirlpool tubs. You might want to try those next time.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Let me start by mentioning that I'd have given a "Good" rating if TA had one. I did not want to rate them "Poor" because that'd be unfair while I did not believe that they earned a "Very Good" rating.

With that disclaimer, now the details.

We stayed in this inn on October 21, 2012.

Room:
We stayed in a room called the "Humming Bird". There were 2 twin beds in the room that would be just long enough for folks up to 5'6". In addition, there were a wooden rocking chair, a writing desk, a loveseat, a coffee maker and the usuals like body soap. There wasn't any TV or refrigerator in the room but we weren't there to watch CSI Miami while sipping on cold Beer so it did not bother us. I should mention that there's a community room on the 1st floor that has a refrigerator and other some goodies.
That being said, we did not get a good night's sleep. The walls were paper-thin, so much that for the first half of the night I was kept awake by a neighbor snoring loudly and for the later half by another making a lot of noise in what I assumed was an effort to go to the bathroom. The issue with thin walls is common with all "rustic" hotels that I've stayed in, but the best ones put a lot of space between 2 rooms to mitigate some of that problem.

Service:
The staff were very polite and helpful. They provided clear directions when asked for and apologized when they couldn't. This is been highlighted by other reviewers as well.

Value:
This is where, IMHO, that they have lot of scope of improvement. We do not eat much and most of the times, share a dinner entree. In this case, we were charged $5 for doing that! I've eaten at many fine dining restaurants all over the country and this is the first time I saw, to my surprise, a restaurant charging the patrons for sharing food. Not to mention that the service was super slow. The room charge was also on the high side, equalling rooms I lived in in Yellowstone National Park which just doesn't compare to Hocking Hills State Park. As a fair reviewer, I should mention that our room was booked at the last minute and that might have been the reason for a high rate.

Location:
The location can't be beat. The inn is stone's throw from Cedar Falls and few miles from Ash Cave and Old Man's Cave. Another lesser known attraction nearby is the Rose Lake, which I do recommend hiking to. However, because of this year's draught throughout United States, ALL the above mentioned falls had dried up. We were very disappointed because I was hoping for some fall color photos but without the falls, the center of attraction of the image was missing.

All in all, if you reserve early, sleep like a baby and don't split/share food, go for this inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abhi0123
zinnLogan, Owner at The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Want a great night's sleep? Stay in our cottages or cabins, each are nestled on their own two acres. Winter and apring are the best times of year for the flowing waterfalls. Our staff are known for their outstanding hospitality, thanks for the kudos.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens
Hometown Inn
Hometown Inn
#7 of 10 in Athens

Been to The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls? Share your experiences!