My husband and I stayed with 9 other friends plus kids in this house for memorial day weekend. It is true to driveway is steep, so be careful, but I would like to give a fair and honest review of the cabin itself. First of all, after reading the reviews on this site I had very low expectations of what we would find (my friend is the one who booked it). My first impression when we walked in the door was: Wow! The floors, walls and ceiling are made of nice shiny clean looking wood...secondly I thought that it was incredibly clean and the space was nice and big and open for our large group. There is plenty of seating for all of us to sit down to dinner together. The bed that my husband and I slept in was very comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were clean and I found no issue with water pressure at all. There were plenty of dishes and cookware available and and my husband and some other friends enjoyed the hot tub a couple of the nights and said that it was nice and hot and seamed to be clean as well. We didn't get the chance to have a fire in the fire pit, but I saw it and it looked like a nice little area. There were plenty of plastic deck chairs (though they were stacked and would probably have to wiped off a bit if we used them). We only used the T.V. to play dvds for the kids, but it worked just fine. Overall I was impressed with the place and thought it worked perfectly for our large group to sleep comfortably, play games, and make meals and eat them together. We spent most of the daytime going on nearby hikes at the different parks which were ALL AMAZING (though some a bit dangerous--stay on the path!) Here are some small things that I will point out that would make the stay at this cabin better: 1. There are no screens in the windows! We happened to be there during a stretch of nice cool weather, but were unable to open the windows to enjoy the breeze and the cabin became hot and stuffy with all of us in it (if we were to open them, bugs and moths would fly in like crazy!) I suggest the owner please install screens--we would not have turned on the AC if we could have opened the windows which would save lots of money...
2. There was toilet paper and kitchen towels, but not enough to last us the 4 days we stayed, I would suggest bringing some of your own, or else the owners need to supply a bit more of these two things.
3. It is true that the handle and two knobs are broken off of the microwave and stove, we were still able to use them, but it would be nice if those things could be repaired for the convenience factor--plus it just didn't match up with how nice the cabin was.
4. We were not fans of the 2 leather couches in the living room area. The cushions would slip forward every time you sat on them and you would sink into the hole--this was just uncomforable for seating purposes (we all fought over the tow couches that were not made of leather :)!
5. As for the wasps/hornets. There was one large hornet in the cabin in the whole 4 days that we were there and that is all. Now, we happened to be there during 60-70 degree weather, so I don't know if it would have been worse if it was hot out--I counted at least 12 wasp nests in different stages of development under the edges of the roof of the walk-around porch, but being in the woods I would expect they would try to build nests like that under shelter...We did spray and knock down a couple that were by the door for safety for the kids, but those things build fast--I would not be surprised if the owners knocked down a bunch of nests last week and all the ones we saw were new ones! I would just caution that there were a lot of nests, so hopefully the owners will continually spray and knock them down because I imagine in hot weather they are more active and this might explain the other reviews where hornets were in the house!
Overall: if you have a large group and want to be nearby Hocking Hills hiking trails, I would recommend this place taking into account the things I said above. :)
- Also Known As:
- Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins Ohio/Logan