“Peaceful getaway”
Review of Springwood Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Springwood Cabins
Ranked #4 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Logan
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Peaceful getaway”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We just came home from a wonderful three night stay at Deer Crossing cabin. First of all, I would like to address the review written by kl4life2 on October 23rd where only one star was given to this facility. Then I will tell you what a wonderful place this really is. kl4life2 claimed there was no defined area to park your vehicle. This concerned me before we got there but I found that to be false. There are very obvious places to park your vehicle for every cottage, they are stone covered and outlined with huge logs. Ours (we stayed at Deer Crossing) was very close to the front door. I can only assume that kl4life2 stayed at the Rose which is a gorgeous brand new cottage that the staff was very cordial to give me and my husband a tour of because that day it was being cleaned. The Rose is the last cottage on the road and the parking area for it is perhaps 15 yards from the front door. If you are concerned about walking the 15 yards or have a disability that precludes you from walking it, then obviously you should rent one of the other cottages. But if you are a camper, it is ludicrous to think that a 15 yard walk is a legitimate complaint no matter what you are carrying. And it is worth it if you are able to reserve the Rose. If you are worried about pulling your expensive luggage that distance, then stay at a 4-star hotel with a bellboy. I mean, really, what can you say? And as far as moving a log to drive your car closer to the cabin, that's just appalling. I'm sure that anyone who puts a barrier up to prevent someone from driving all over their lawn would be incensed to find that someone took the liberty to just move the log and drive through anyway. That's some kind of entitlement attitude that should be corrected. kl4life2 indicated that it looked like other vehicles had driven through before him. Well, I was there, I viewed the area and there were no tire tracks or indication that it was okay to just drive over the lawn to the Rose. Period. Also, the women that he referred to in his review were just very kind to us. They wanted to know if we needed their help getting our things out of the car into the cabin and they very graciously gave us directions to get anywhere we needed to go. Stacy, the property manager specifically said if there was anything we needed during our stay, please contact her. That was the last time we saw anyone as they left us alone, never showed up unexpectedly and gave us the peace and quiet we really wanted. When we passed them during their day of cleaning the Rose, they waved and pleasantly asked if they could stop over just to check the hot tub. Our experience was very, very positive. I am guessing that kl4life2's stay at the hotel near the airport was more their style since there are elevators and carts for your expensive luggage. We just loved staying at the Deer Crossing (which by the way is an appropriate name because a mama and her three little spotted fawns came through our yard every day). The hot tub was heavenly. The deck was great for our dog because he was not able to squeeze through the rails to jump off and he is a terrier that chases anything that moves. The cabin was clean and well-appointed. Really, this was glamping more than camping but rustic enough to enjoy the great outdoors. We visited Cedar Falls (highly recommended) but you have to be able to hike and not complain about something further than 15 yards away. A few of the other places we visited and I recommend are Logan Antique Mall, The Boot Shop on Route 33 and Appalachian Art and Craft Market, just a few yards from the Boot Shop. The Appalachian Art and Craft Market was especially nice with items I have never seen elsewhere and the prices were excellent! Just a few doors down from that (it's sort of like a strip plaza that you can walk from one store to the next unless you choose to drive down to the next empty parking spot because walking is too much for you), is the Spring Street Antique Mall which is also very much worth a look. I scored a few gorgeous Swarovski crystal bracelets there that were flawless. None of these businesses had pushy salespeople but were delighted to help if asked. I'm just the kind of person who doesn't want a salesperson breathing down my neck asking me what I'm looking for in every aisle so that was a pleasurable shopping experience. We had lunch at Millstone Southern Smoke BBQ and the waitstaff there was very hospitable. We wanted to buy a tee shirt but the size we wanted was sold out so they are sending us one next week when the new shipment comes in. All in all, I cannot wait to get back to this area again just because there was so much more I wanted to see but like everything else, you just run out of time. We wouldn't stay anywhere other than Springwood Cabins and with some luck, we will be able to reserve in advance for the Rose. But if we can't get that cabin, I would definitely love to stay at Deer Crossing again. I can't say enough great things about this location. Last but never least, we were able to vacation with our whole family with us - a dog and two cats who were so well behaved and had a blast as well. They played chase all day through the cabin and also woke us at around 2:00 in the morning playing and chasing each other. It was a joy to have them with us and to stay at a place that was animal friendly for a change.

Room Tip: Deer Crossing is very peaceful and secluded. At the end of the road so nobody ever drives by.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pleasant Hills, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had a group of 12 people looking for a fun and affordable place to go. We rented 4 of the 6 cabins at Springwood Cabins. We all took turns making meals for the group and even invited the owners to join us one night, which they did and we were glad they did. From the beautiful wood work in some of the cabins, to the little homemade dog treats that were in cookie jars in all the cabins, to other little surprises that you just will have to find out for yourself when you go. There are fire rings at all the cabins, which was great for group gatherings at night for mountain pies and smoores, etc. The owners made some great recommendations of places to go and things to see and do, from Bead Making classes to Zip line tours. Hoping to take a group of friends back there again in a year or two :-)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We went with a group, renting four cabins for a week. Had fabulous weather, the cabins were great (nicely appointed and stocked, clean), the owners were friendly and helpful (tho we hear they are tough with people who invited unpaid guests!). The trails through the woods were a daily activity as were the group campfire gatherings and communal meals that we were able to arrange among our cabins. The surrounding area's attractions were quite plentiful and engaging -- the best canopy zip line tour in the US! Lake Logan's pontoons (tho rather aged and tattered!) and the swimming... the rails to trails bike trail in Nelsonville... the artisans and their classes. There was something for everyone! And the owners Sue and Lana helped us find everything. But back to the cabins... the newer cabins are spectacular with carefully constructed pine interiors. Raccoon, though not as rustic looking, is newly refurbished and BIG! All in all a great stay. Only drawback was the lack of cell/internet service. Get a tower!!! Some of the newer cabins could use a bit more storage structures for clothes, etc. Other than that, however, we found the Springwood Cabins to be totally enjoyable and well worth the $. Don't know what the bad reviews were talking about??

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have been a guest at Springwood Cabins since 2009 (having stayed there now seven times and making plans for my eighth visit), and I couldn't be happier! The location is awesome, as you are off the beaten path and away from traffic, yet very close to many area attractions. Old Man's Cave, Ash Cave, and Rock House are not to be missed! I have found both the owners of the cabins as well as their staff to be quite welcoming, attentive, and eager to make any stay a positive experience. They are constantly making updates and improvements, and have been most welcoming of dogs, even making available homemade treats, providing water dishes, and having ample space for walking right on the property. I have stayed at Crows Nest and Deer Crossing, and love them both. I have been inside all of the cabins and would really be satisfied at any of the cabins, and the Rose is really unique in its design. Each cabin has its own deck and hot tub. I feel lucky to have found Springwood Cabins, and plan on returning many more times.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Bay Village, Ohio
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was a little concerned about staying in Deer Crossing at Springwood Cabins based on the mixed reviews. But, we found it to be a nice cabin. There was four of us (two couples) and the cabin has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The hot tub was maintained by a caretaker every morning. The sliding glass doors do not have screens and when we asked about it the owner said that people have damaged them. We would like to see the owner replace the screens and consider charging people if they damage them. The beds were slightly soft, saggy and squeaky but tolerable. I would like to see them replaced but I would consider staying here again. The location was excellent due to the close proximity to the state park which is why we chose Springwood Cabins. One night's worth of firewood was provided.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I read several not great reviews for this place. I have no idea why??? I really liked the cabins. They were very clean and nice. The kitchens were very well equipped. They were very private. Very dog friendly. I will definately be back.

Room Tip: The Crows Nest!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donnnie
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Springwood Cabins before and actually had a good time -- while we were there the first time they were building the new cabin on the property.

We moved out West and came back to Ohio to get married. We had both fallen inl ove with Hocking Hills and decided to take a three night honeymoon in the new cabin -- how cool, right?

Wrong.

The first thing I noticed when trying to unload our luggage was there was no defined space at the new cabin to park our vehicle. I mean really -- there is no defined space. Having just received a piece of $300 luggage for our wedding we didn't want to try and lug everything down a muddy hill about 500-800 feet to the cabin. So I got out of the car and looked around -- I noticed a trail that had been worn down by vehicles and decided to pull up to unload our luggage. I did move a log, but didn't think it was a big deal as I could see a defined area where other vehicles had parked.

I wasn't planning on parking in this location just needed to unload and I was going to move it back up the hill and park in the other cabin's parking spot. I really had no idea where to park -- all the other cabins on the property you pull right up to the cabin -- this one I wasn't sure.

After carrying my first load of groceries and luggage to the cabin - I came back out and noticed my wife talking to someone near our vehicle. When I approached, I was informed by an older woman with a broom (not sure who she was at the moment) that I couldn't park there. When I told her I didn't know where to park she showed me the area where you are supposed to park. She told me I could unload, but I needed to get out of there asap in case it rains I wouldn't make it up the hill. We told her that we will unload and park where she told us to park. We grabbed the rest of the luggage and came back out to get the groceries a moment later.

When I came back out I was confronted by an older dark haired woman, on a lawn mower, who screamed at me, "What in the hell possessed you to come down here?"(I won't put it in all caps, but envision it -- classy!!!) I looked at my wife as she was instantly upset. We’re exhausted and were not trying to cause any trouble. My wife told her that we are going to park in the parking space the other lady told us to park. She continued to yell as us and ask us why we would park there.

Then I told the woman that there was no defined area to park and I wasn't going to lug all my stuff 800 feet to the cabin. She then swore at me and said, "I can make sure you don't have that problem ever again..." I am still not sure what she meant by this -- I assume it wasn't a death threat, but instead a threat to kick us out?

The other lady at this point told the lady on the lawn mower to just come with her.

We really were taken a back at this point. Thinking this was just a bad misunderstanding (or lack of communication on their end of where to park), but it wasn't worth the rude behavior we were receiving. I understand if you don't want someone to park somewhere, but define a space for the cabin to park. (put up a sign)

So after the woman said she could solve our problem she swore at us a couple of other times--and then started her lawn mower and threw up her hands. I was totally dumbfounded again -- wow-- I've never allowed anyone to treat me like this before, but not wanting to ruin the honeymoon any more than it already was I just moved the car and came back into the cabin.

After that whole situation, my wife and I were never really comfortable staying in the cabin.

The cabin itself is nice and most things are new. The bed is a murphy bed (comes out of the wall) and isn't big enough to sleep two adults comfortable.

I had prepared to cook a nice meal on the grill -- the grill barely works -- it can't cook a piece of chicken if its life depended on it. So that was a bust.

The next day went relatively smooth as we had no sighting of the two women. Then the following morning, I noticed the women riding around on their lawn mowers near our cabin. Not sure what to make of it -- I just went along with my business.The riding continued on and off for about an hour or two. I am not sure if they were cleaning other cabins or what, but they were riding through the same area that they told us we couldn't park and making us feel uncomfortable as it felt like they were watching us while we were in the hot tub.

So instead of staying the night there we decided to leave a day early and find a place closer to the airport.

The owners are so rude -- it made this place terrible. I am not a person to complain, but this experience matches some of the other ones I read. Listen, there are better options out there -- if you run into the owners and sneeze the wrong way they might threaten you and swear at you too.

Just beware -- you've been warned!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kl4life2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Logan
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
Ohio University Inn & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
#1 of 5 in Lancaster
Baymont Inn & Suites Athens
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Athens

Been to Springwood Cabins? Share your experiences!