“Nicely appointed property, but probably won't return”

Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewis Center
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Nicely appointed property, but probably won't return”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel while he was attending a conference. The room was nice and clean and the grounds were well cared for. The first thing that was a bit frustrating with this hotel is that it required a 2 night stay. Our initial plan was to drive into town on Saturday morning and just stay 1 night. I thought they must have that requirement in place due to the conference being held there that weekend and not wanting to tie up rooms for 1 night when they could book it for 2 nights. I thought that the hotel must be full. Well, it didn't seem full at all.

Breakfast was included with the cost of the room, and it was a nice breakfast, not fantastic, but nice enough. The service was great because I was the only in the restaurant at the time. Most of the people, I am sure, were eating with the conference that my husband was attending.

My husbands conference ended at noon and I called down to the desk to try and see if we could extend check out just a few minutes so that he could return to the room and change his clothes. I didn't think it would be much of a problem as the hotel didn't seem full. When the front desk answered, they immediately said it was impossible to extend checkout at all.

The workout room was well equipped and had an adjoining bathroom and water cooler. The pool area looked nice, but it was too early in the season to be open.

It is located not too far from some of the great shopping available in Columbus, but I think the next time I will just choose one of the hotels closer to the shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kathyrn B, General Manager at Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Paula K,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent experience at NorthPointe Hotel and Conference Center. We have a beautiful property and I am glad that, for the most part, you enjoyed our campus amenities and the staff who served you during your visit. I would like to personally invite you back to stay again so that we can make NorthPointe your preferred hotel when you are visiting the greater Columbus area. Thank you for being our guest and I look forward to the possibility of having you as our guest again in the future. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, CHA, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Powell, Ohio
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I recently learned of NorthPointe through a Business First article. I knew there was a conference center at NorthPointe but did not realize there was a hotel. I treat myself every other month to a night or two away to relax. This month I decided to check out the hotel at NorthPointe for my retreat. This was without a doubt one of the best hotel stays I have ever had. I informed the management of NorthPointe that they just became my "go to retreat".
The décor is beautiful, the room amenities are customer focused designed to make ones stay effortless and relaxing. I was in a King Suite and it was the best nights sleep I have had in weeks,it took all my self control not to book an additional night.
The weekend I was there the conference center had several events going on and the dining room for lunch had over 250 patrons but my servers treated me as if I was the ONLY person in this busy dining room. The food was delicious and I am not keen on buffets but I would gladly eat at NorthPointe any time now that I've discovered it.
That evening I wandered into The Pub and was again pleasantly surprised by the décor and attention to detail by the staff. The Pub was bustling with a large group of women 20 or so, it may have been a book club, I am not sure but despite the large crowd and lively conversations going on around me I was able to carry on a conversation without raising my voice to be heard.
I do not hesitate in recommending NorthPointe to anyone who is traveling to Columbus, Ohio.

Room Tip: For a few dollars more upgrade to a Suite. The additional room has a huge sofa and work space making...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelly C
crownekate, General Manager at Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Kelly C:

Thank you for being our guest at the NorthPointe Hotel and Conference Center! Our hospitality family is thrilled that you chose to stay with us after reading about our beautiful campus in Business First. We look forward to continuing to be your "go to retreat" for a little monthly R&R.

I see that you live locally in Powell and wanted to make you aware that our Dining Room and Pub are open to the public if you would ever like to stop in and experience NorthPointe, and only have a few hours to spare. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

All My Best,

Kathyrn Burton
Greenville, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I just returned from a business trip to Northpointe and I was really impressed with this property.

Hotel: I was upgraded to a small suite upon arrival, even though it was just me staying in the room. No complaints there! The room was clean, decor was modern and room equipped with couch, two flat screen tv's, refrigerator, microwave and anything else I needed. The wireless in the room, most of the time, was speedy. Like most hotels, however, you can hear things going on around you. There must have been a staircase nearby because I could hear people's feet pounding as they stepped. Also, the shades on the window don't block all outside light, so if you're a light sleeper you may need a sleep mask and/or earplugs.

Food: If you have the option of staying here with an accommodation package like I did (where breakfast and/or dinner are included) I highly recommend taking it. The breakfast is not your typical hotel chain breakfast - it included, on most days, a made-to-order omelette bar, fresh diced fruit and berries, yogurt, 2 kinds of breakfast potatoes, etc. Dinner was always something different, always included more than one option with a salad bar and soup, and always very high quality meals with a dining room staff that was always friendly and wonderful.

Conference center: Again, always had a variety of high-quality refreshments. Coffee, tea, soda, juice, water and snacks that were changed out throughout the day. Everything from sweet dessert items to crackers, meatballs... always something different! The facility itself was very comfortable and well-equipped with the technology we needed. The restrooms in the conference area were cleaned many times throughout the day and were always immaculate.

Pub: I stopped into the pub a couple of times and while I didn't spend much time there it seemed like a great place to socialize.It had drink specials most nights which were really reasonable.

The only snag I ran into here was with the front desk staff either being disorganized or understaffed at times, but it didn't cause any major issues. They were still very nice and helpful.

Also, if you're travelling from far away, be aware that the hotel/conference center/pub/dining area are not connected and do require you to walk outside. Not a huge inconvenience because they're relatively close, but if you're from a warmer climate you may need to bring weather-appropriate items.

Room Tip: Top level is probably best, as there was always noise coming from above.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kathyrn B, General Manager at Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Haloforanoose:

Thank you for choosing to stay at NorthPointe Hotel and Conference Center for your recent business trip to Columbus. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and chose to share your experience at our beautiful campus with others through posting a review on tripadvisor.com. I agree, our housekeeping, food and beverage, and culinary team do an amazing job of taking the best possible care of our guests as our goal is to have our meeting attendees and all guests feel "treasured". Again, thank you for selecting NorthPointe. We hope to serve you again in the future!

All My Best,

Kathyrn Burton
Ohio
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've lived in the area for 30 years and will ALWAYS recommend the NorthePointe to my out of town guests. I also have stayed here. Not only is the facilty very well-maintained and quiet, but the suites offer twice the space for the same price as the major chains in the Polaris area. You simply cannot find a better breakfast buffet with such fresh items as you'll find at the NorthePointe! Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The Polaris Suites offers the best accomodation for the price.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was recently at North Pointe Conference Center for a week of training. The dates I was there was 8/13-8/17. There are a few things I would like to say about my stay at this facility and the staff that keeps this facility going.
When I arrived in Ohio the first thing that happened to me was the loss of my baggage by the airline. I had never experienced this before and to make things worse, the shuttle had to leave to take everyone else to the hotel. I called the front desk when I knew I wasn't going to make the shuttle and I was pleasantly surprised with how I was taken care of. When I called, I was assured that there will be someone there to get me right away. The gentleman at the front desk told me to go outside to the pick-up zone and advised me that there would be a van there waiting for me. He even described the van to me with very good detail so I knew I was going into the right one, and stayed on the phone with me until I found it. I was extremely impressed.
Lastly, I would like to express my gratitude to the staff at the restaurant, the housekeepers and also the grounds keepers. I came into contact with someone from each of these departments and never once was I not greeted with a smile and a "hello, how are you?" Being away from home, staying somewhere you are unfamiliar with, and also being alone and not knowing a single person there, your staff genuinely made me feel welcomed there. I felt right at home. Great job to all the staff at North Pointe! You have EXCELLENT customer service and a phenomenal facility!

Room Tip: Any room you stay in you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lisa y
Cincinnati
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We are a family of 4 and were looking for a place to stay for the Ohio state fair. What a terrific find. The rooms are clean. The couch and living room area were nice to relax while the kids were in bed watching TV. The pool area is well tended to. The free breakfast was more than I expected. I would never stay anywhere else in the Columbus area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed there for 4 days recently. It's a beautiful place, with substantial grounds that are carefully manicured. I had 2 double bed suite for $159 per night. Both rooms had a flat screen television and plenty of other amenities. The bedroom was terrific -- great furniture. The bathroom was large, with a separate vanity area. The "living room" was sizable and had a modular sofa (including a "lounge" piece), desk, and bar area with a coffee pot, microwave, and refrigerator.
The only downside is the hotel restaurant. Service is limited, as are the hours. However, there are plenty of restaurants of all kinds very near the hotel.
I highly recommend it!

Hilton Columbus/Polaris
#11 of 143 in Columbus
Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington
Residence Inn Columbus Polaris

Been to Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!