“A beautiful find”

Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewis Center
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We are a family of 4 and were looking for a place to stay for the Ohio state fair. What a terrific find. The rooms are clean. The couch and living room area were nice to relax while the kids were in bed watching TV. The pool area is well tended to. The free breakfast was more than I expected. I would never stay anywhere else in the Columbus area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed there for 4 days recently. It's a beautiful place, with substantial grounds that are carefully manicured. I had 2 double bed suite for $159 per night. Both rooms had a flat screen television and plenty of other amenities. The bedroom was terrific -- great furniture. The bathroom was large, with a separate vanity area. The "living room" was sizable and had a modular sofa (including a "lounge" piece), desk, and bar area with a coffee pot, microwave, and refrigerator.
The only downside is the hotel restaurant. Service is limited, as are the hours. However, there are plenty of restaurants of all kinds very near the hotel.
I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The front desk staff was great, especially Tony. Great representative for this establishment. Stayed with a softball team from Pgh. from Thur. to Sun. and all families were very happy with the hotel. Very clean, spacious and comfortable rooms. Pool was great and got a lot of use since it was 100 plus degrees while we were there. The setting overall was beautiful, from the brick paved drives to the fountain in the pond and the southern style architecture of the buildings. Can't wait to get back to Columbus area for another softball tournament so we can stay again! Have already recommended to other Pgh. teams to use this hotel when in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights for a family wedding whose reception was at NorthPointe. Locating the unlit entrance to the facility was the only misstep we experience during our visit. The nicely landscaped, spotless hotel facility had a welcoming lobby and efficient front desk staff. Our room was a Queen Parlor Suite which consisted of a living room with large desk, L shaped sofa and granite bar with frig as well as a bedroom separated by double doors. Bedroom had plenty of storage. Sink with large counter was off the bedroom with a separate toilet and bath/shower room. The suite was fresh, clean and showed no wear. We had a little time to enjoy the pool but did not have time to check out the pub. There was a building near the pool that contained a buffet area perhaps for conference groups. Plenty of patio tables dotted the outdoor area along with an area for lawn games. If there were public dining facilities we did no see them. The wedding reception was held in the conference building steps away from the hotel facility. The arrangements were lovely, food great! Enjoyed our stay very much!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

As I had never heard of the facility until last weekend and there were very few reviews out here regarding it, I was a little aprehensive about booking a stay here. Upon arriving, I was pleasantly suprised. The facility was clean and it didn't have that cookie cutter, hotel chain look. The hotel grounds are beautifully manicured. I felt like I was staying at a private country club or resort. Our room was a nicely appointed 2-Queen Bed Suite. There were flat screen tvs in both the the living area and the bedroom. The living area had a nice comfortable sectional, a writing desk, with a portal for computer connection (of which I did not use). There was a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room. However, there were no condiments such as sugar or creamer for the coffee and there were also no stirrers. The room was very clean (even behind the furniture, there were no dust bunnies). The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows.

The reasons that I did not give this facility a five star were as follows:
1. The rear hall way, located off of the parking area, was in need of a good scrubbing. There was crap all over the floor and we were there for 3 days and the floor was never cleaned. If I had entered the hotel from this area, I would have had 2nd thoughts about staying there.
2. There is a smoke alarm located in the bedroom which flashes a strobe-type light on and off at about 30-60 second intervals. Not sure why the smoke alarm has to flash but it does. Once I realized what it was, I was able to work around it.
3. There is also a very loud air conditioning unit, located right next to one of the beds. When in use, if you are a light sleeper, it will be almost impossible for you to sleep. We remedied this by using only the air condition unit located in the living area. It cooled the entire suite sufficiently for us.
4. The bathroom is theeee absolute smallest bathroom that we've ever seen. Barely one person can fit into the space. There is a very large vanity witha sink located outside of the the actual bathroom. The design is just poor. They could have given us less vanity and more bathroom. It was however, one of the cleanest bathrooms I've seen.

Overall, this is nice facilty. It's clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff is very friendly. The grounds are beautiful. I would recommend NorthPointe to others.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msrjp
Reviewed December 5, 2011

The Conference Center at Northpointe has very nice facilities. It is a great place for weddings because your guests can stay on property and if you have a small wedding party you can have the ceremony as well as the reception here. Everything being in one place is a great convenience.

However, for the price, it was not what we expected. There was a lot of mislead advertisement and information from staff and coordinators. I was rather disappointed with the lack of professionalism and service we were provided. We were told we would receive a variety of things which, in the end we never saw.

First, there were two staff changes during the planning stage of our wedding. Our main contact either quit or was fired. We were never notified of the changes until we called to speak to the person(s) and were informed that the person(s) was no longer with the company. I was planning the wedding long distance and had to communicate via telephone and email frequently. I had a hard time getting calls through. When I left messages my calls were not returned. I scheduled phone conferences which were never kept. I had to write a complaint before I was given proper attention.

We talked over certain details with our contact person. The week before the wedding we sat down and reviewed these details and many of the things we asked for had been forgotten. It was too late to include them. We also did not receive an estimated price until the week before even though we asked repeatedly for this in advance.

As for the amenities, we were told we could use the pub on property for changing, as well as an after party. We were later told, a few days before the wedding, that we would not have exclusive use of the pub because another party would be using the facility as well. The pub is not private but they misled us to believe that it was. Their “planned” alternative was to give us a corner room which, coincidently, was the room the groom was already staying in. We also tried to use certain facilities on property which were advertised as being open to guests however, they were rented out and if they were available we would be charged a fee.

One nice perk to having a wedding here is that the couple can stay at the hotel for free the night of the wedding. However, they mislead you to believe that you are receiving a “presidential suite”…the exact words of the coordinator…”the only one on the property.” When we asked the front desk for the key to the presidential suite, were told that they had no presidential suite. However, they did have two king sized suites. We stayed at the suite for the night. We did receive champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, cake, and two entrees from the wedding.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Bob M, General Manager at Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2011

Dear SMRN 11 – First let me thank you for your detailed review on Trip Advisor. It is only when thoughtful guests, such as yourself, take the time to provide constructive feedback that corrective action can be taken. I assure you that your comments will absolutely lead to improvements.

I was pleased that you had such positive things to say about the property, despite the many frustrations you experienced. It seems that we did a really poor job of communicating with you from the start, for which I sincerely apologize. We do, of course, have a Presidential Suite which many clients and newlyweds have enjoyed. I believe the confusion developed with the terminology. Clearly the elaborate design and upgrades in the room are the same whether referred to as a Presidential Suite or just a King Suite. I cannot explain the lapse on the part of our front desk, but once again my apologies for the confusion.

I absolutely agree that you were caught in the middle of a significant transition between event planners. Losing key personnel is always challenging for the guest, particularly in planning a wedding because of the deeply personal and monumentally important nature of the event. I am certain that was the source of the misunderstandings. I can assure you that this was a highly unusual occurrence at NorthPointe because we have such long term associates (tenures of 5, 10, 20 and even 30 years are common). I regret the inconvenience.

I discussed your experience with our Director of Food & Beverage who, you will recall, personally took charge of your event and saw it to a happy conclusion. He told me of how both of your parents gave him a big hug afterward and thanked him for a wonderful event.

Again, please accept my apologies for any confusion and thank you for your comments. The NorthPointe Team wishes you and your new spouse a long and happy future together.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Friends of ours were married at the center and we stayed there for two nights. Overall, its a first class setup. Hotel room was outstanding - clean, comfortable and great beds/pillows. The service was awesome - people were friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent as well - they picked a great place for a wedding.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sparkymax1
Bob M, General Manager at Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Dear Sparkymax1 - Wow. thanks for the great review! And thanks for taking time to tell us about your experiece. We take your feedback very seriously. We share it with our team and use it as the foundation for improvement. Weddings are a major part of our business so its good to know that we hit the mark. Thanks again for your kind words. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to the Columbus area.

Bob Monica

Hilton Columbus/Polaris
#10 of 145 in Columbus
Cambria hotel & suites Columbus - Polaris
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus-Polaris Parkway

Been to Nationwide Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!