“Best it's ever been”

The Golden Lamb Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Golden Lamb Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 64 Restaurants in Lebanon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: The Golden Lamb is recognized as the oldest continuously operating business in the State of Ohio. On December 23, 1803, Jonas Seaman spent $4 for a license to operate a "house of Public Entertainment." The Golden Lamb got its name due to the fact that many early pioneers could not read, so giving a business a name that could be easily drawn and recognized, such as the Black Horse or Golden Lamb, was a necessity.The brick building where the Golden Lamb moved to and currently resides was built in 1815. The original building was a two story structure located where our lobby area and Dickens dining room currently stand. In 1844 a third story was added. Shortly after, in 1854 a three story wing was added which is where our Shaker and Buckeye room dining rooms currently stand. In 1878, a fourth story was added to accomodate the workers who would bring the railroad to Lebanon. The gift shop and Black Horse Tavern were added to the structure in 1964.The Golden Lamb was visited by so many prominent guests in the early 1800's because it was located halfway between Cincinnati and the National Road (U.S. 40). Robert H. Jones' ownership of the property beginning in 1926 marked the transformation of the old hotel into the great attraction and marvelous restaurant it is today. Under their guidance, the inn's great reputation became well known throughout the country. Their ownership also marked the restoration of the hotel to its original name, The Golden Lamb.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I've been going to the Golden Lamb for over 35 years and can say without reserve that the current chef has the best on offer that I've ever tasted there. We tend to go for the brunch at the weekend, but also enjoy their excellent dinner menu. The breakfasts are brilliant and the newer items for lunch are well appreciated - especially the "prime rib sliders" with excellent, crunchy onion rings. Their house salad is a delight and has been around a very long time. Their staff are welcoming and always smiling. Well done!

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I read about this historic inn in "American Profile" magazine, and a friend had visited, so I was anxious to come here too. I am not a big fan of sandwiches, but my turkey sandwich was one of the best I have ever had. My friend's reuben sandwich was also excellent. On top of the meal, it was an interesting place to visit from a historical standpoint. I hope I can get back here again some day!

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Ate in the Buckeye room with a tour group. Tour group meals are usually just mediocre, but we had excellent food that was also offered on the regular menu. We had a delicious fresh salad with a creamy balsamic dressing that was wonderful. Dinner was fried chicken-huge portion-too big really-I ate the thigh and drumstick and left the breast on my plate-fresh green beans, and a huge serving of garlic mashed potatoes that were seasoned just right. Couldn't eat all of the potatoes either. I would have enjoyed more veggies and fewer potatoes. The fried chicken was the best I have ever eaten. For dessert we had delicious Shaker sugar pie. Because we were a tour group, the hotel historian told entertaining stories about the hotel as we ate. Very interesting. Will go there again if ever in the area! Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We ate dinner at the Golden Lamb last Saturday, after taking our first glider flight at Waynseville and touring the antique shops there. All three experiences were top notch. We were served in the Shaker Dining Room with its period decorations. Service, ambience, and noise level were very good. The house salad, walleye, and fingerling potatoes were superb. The house Chardonnay wine and the craft beer were just right. We even bought a jar of the salad dressing to take home. You can tour this historic inn on your own and look into the rooms that are open to see the period furnishings.
An unusual and excellent day. Prices were high, but we expected this ahead of time.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

My son and I had lunch here after a Saturday bike ride. I had a lamb burger that was cooked to my taste and my son had the fried chicken platter and loved it. I also like that they had local craft beer on tap. Delicious!