“Great Food in a Historic Atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Golden Lamb Restaurant

The Golden Lamb Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Golden Lamb Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in Lebanon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: The Golden Lamb is recognized as the oldest continuously operating business in the State of Ohio. On December 23, 1803, Jonas Seaman spent $4 for a license to operate a "house of Public Entertainment." The Golden Lamb got its name due to the fact that many early pioneers could not read, so giving a business a name that could be easily drawn and recognized, such as the Black Horse or Golden Lamb, was a necessity.The brick building where the Golden Lamb moved to and currently resides was built in 1815. The original building was a two story structure located where our lobby area and Dickens dining room currently stand. In 1844 a third story was added. Shortly after, in 1854 a three story wing was added which is where our Shaker and Buckeye room dining rooms currently stand. In 1878, a fourth story was added to accomodate the workers who would bring the railroad to Lebanon. The gift shop and Black Horse Tavern were added to the structure in 1964.The Golden Lamb was visited by so many prominent guests in the early 1800's because it was located halfway between Cincinnati and the National Road (U.S. 40). Robert H. Jones' ownership of the property beginning in 1926 marked the transformation of the old hotel into the great attraction and marvelous restaurant it is today. Under their guidance, the inn's great reputation became well known throughout the country. Their ownership also marked the restoration of the hotel to its original name, The Golden Lamb.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Food in a Historic Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

My son and I had lunch here after a Saturday bike ride. I had a lamb burger that was cooked to my taste and my son had the fried chicken platter and loved it. I also like that they had local craft beer on tap. Delicious!

• Visited June 2014

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Historical Breakfast Achieved, Delicious Food, Clean Plate Club :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

My dad's assistant made reservations for us to have breakfast at The Golden Lamb when we were visiting in the area. The hotel and restaurant are very cool in the historical sense of feeling like you walked back in time when entering the building.

Knowing how many historical figures has stayed at the hotel was very interesting and the building itself has the history posted all over the walls with plaques denoting the memories.

12 past presidents have all stayed and dined at this location which was interesting to know. You are also allowed to walk all the halls of the building and see whom stayed in which hotel room around the building.

As for the food we had the two eggs plate, the egg white frittata, and the berry french toast which all was delicious. We also got sides of the sausage and the bacon. We would highly recommend you try both of these sides as they are cooked to perfection.

The only odd thing about our visit was when we arrived you could tell that only about 1/3 of the place was filled and many tables were empty. We said we had a reservation but I guess we didn't need it, to which the worker said "Well of course you do need a reservation". We then had to wait about 15 minutes for a table which we saw empty the whole time we were waiting.

Walk around the town a bit to walk off your meal after and read a bit more about the town and its history.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Service, Fascinating History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at the restaraunt, and toured the facility. We did not spend the night so I cannot comment on the rooms.

The service was excellent. The staff were attentive and helpful. Since it was our first time, we were given a relish tray appetizer - something they've had on the menu since the inn opened in 1803.

My favorite thing about the whole experience was the salad that came with my meal. It was a spring salad with a basalmic vinigrette, some apples, pecans and smoked cheddar. It was delicious! I would go back just for that salad. The creme brulee was also very good. My entree was good, although not amazing.

Definitely read up on the history of the place. Charles Dickens visited the inn when he was touring America. According to some sources he reviewed it poorly because he was upset he couldn't get any brandy. Harriet Beecher Stowe stayed here at one point, as well as several US presidents.

Urbana, Ohio
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Craft beers, nice wines, authentic recipes, friendly staff, historical environment, located right in the middle of historic Lebanon, Ohio.

Visited June 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Is the Golden Lamb Worth a 20-minute Diversion Off I-75?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Yes -- very much so -- if you want instant immersion in 19th century history. Quick: tell us the difference between William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison! Both are prominent at the Golden Lamb, memorialized in picture and memorabilia and architecture and atmosphere, along with dozens of similar celebrities from the time when America was still deciding what to be. I have not stayed overnight in many years, but I expect that the overnight ghosts would still be highly entertaining.

No -- if you are looking for a memorable meal. Our group would concur with other recent reviewers that the food is average and uneven -- not bad, but not a reason to make this a destination. the salads and desserts were the best of our selections so, if you happen to be on the backroads and wander into Lebanon for lunch, you may want focus on that part of the menu.

• 3 of 5 bubbles