“A nice surprise for once”
Review of Konami - CLOSED

Konami
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lancaster, Ohio
“A nice surprise for once”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Wife and I went after seeing that the old Billy Cricket's had re-opened as a Japanese grill. I was a bit skeptical, since central Ohio isn't the mecca for Asian resturants much less Japanese.
Also, being Asian myself, I tend toi be a bit critical when it comes to food of this nature.
Anyway, we went just after it opened. According to the host, they had opened 10 days prior. We ordered miso soup, California roll, barbecue eel roll, and grilled scallops.
Miso soup was excellent. It was just like the miso soup my mother made for me when we visited Japan. The sushi rolls were good. Not grerat, but better than the grocery store variety that's s o popular these days.
The grilled scallops were cooked perfectly. Scallops are hard to get right, especially when cooking on a flat grill. A half minute too long and you've got a mini hocky puck in yor mouth. These were just done, warm on the inside, a nice sear on the otuside. They came with choice of noodles or rice and gfrilled vegetables. I had noodles. They were a bit over done, but I like them that way persoanlly. The veggies were nicely cooked, with just a little firmness to them.
Very defintiely a nice surprise for Lancaster. The only thing missing was the warm towels that are served before meals at authentic Japanese restaurants but we were told that would be coming soon if business takes off.
We went on a THursday, and that weekend was there grand opening. The parking lot was full, so I was encouraged that Konami may make it. Recommending it to all my friends.

• Visited August 2014

Lancaster, Ohio
“Not quite ready yet”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our recent lunch, just four days after the restaurant opened, was decidedly mixed. My wife and I both ordered the vegetable tempura as an appetizer. Very disappointing. The under-seasoned veggies were encased in a greasy batter. After a bite of the sweet potato tempura, drops of grease fell to my plate. But both of our subsequent orders of fish were fresh tasting, well presented and well priced

Frankly, I think this place opened too soon. The liquor license hasn't arrived. There is no web site, so we couldn't read the menu until we walked in the door. The atmosphere was one of, well, indifference. We discussed the tempura with our friendly waitress, who said she would discuss it with the kitchen. But when one of the, we presume, owners came out to greet another party, he didn't even glance our way.

Everything will likely work itself out. But in the meantime, you might want to wait before giving this place a shot.

• Visited July 2014