“Good resturant, good location, good beer, but lacking...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Buckeye Beer Engine
Ranked #8 of 144 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good resturant, good location, good beer, but lacking...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went for dinner on an average Thursday evening. I was not unimpressed, per se, but perhaps they could have done better? I will be going here again, hopefully when it is a little quieter, to get a better feel for the place; but my first impression did not match the reputation and expectation I had.

The place was busy; or more aptly put, packed to the hilt. There was only a few seats left at the bar, and the tables were all packed with friend-and-family groups. Once at the bar, I waited about five minutes for the beer and food menus, which was excellent considering the service staff were all in constant motion meeting the needs of the patrons. The food ordered came out pretty quickly, which also impressed me. I can tell the kitchen here is used to high-volume service, but they may have slacked on the quality to meet the quantity...

The beer ordered, Ommegang Witte, was incredible. I have always liked Ommegang Brewery, but it was the first time I had their Witte. The fact that it is on tap here also impressed me. For an appetizer, I ordered the Pirogies. It was a simple dish to make and serve, though they spruced it up; and between the beer, quick service, and appetizer, I was so far very impressed.

The main course ordered was the schnitzel with potato pancakes, sauerkraut, and apple sauce. With this, a common and traditional German fare, I was actually unimpressed. Schnitzel is not a difficult dish to prepare, but they seemed to have missed out. The cutlet was very thick, hard to cut, and a bit rubbery. I would guess that they failed to pound the cut thin and then overcooked it.

They also overcooked the potato pancakes, which were almost impossible to cut and were quite hard and crunchy all the way through.

Finally, the silverware provided was remarkably flimsy. In cutting the schnitzel and the pancakes, the knife was tough to get it through and the fork kept bending.

My server was pleasant, and did check up on me often, even if rushed to keep up with the customer load. I didn't bring up the issues I found as they were very busy and the meal was certainly palatable, even if tough.

I am looking forward to my next visit, hoping it won't be so busy and the food will be better prepared. Despite the slightly overcooked meal, I would recommend dining here to anyone passing through.

• Visited March 2013

Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Service! Great food! Huge beer list!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Waitress was very informative about the different selections of beer. Burgers were excellent! Many different varieties of burgers to choose from. I had the burger with sautéed spinach excellent!!!

Clairton, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you love beer, this is the place to visit in the Cleveland area, with 27 taps and 2 beer engines. The atmosphere is laid back, and the menu is higher quality bar food. All in all, a very enjoyable experience. Cheers.

• Visited January 2013
Florida
“Get yourself a Fried Baloney Sandwich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stuff your Doctor won't let you eat, my fav being the Fried Baloney on a Pretzel Bun with a nice batch of grilled onions served with a grainey mustard. Lots of other goodies to try too. Pair this with a beer from their large and ever changing draft collection and settle in for a treat. One of our favorite Cleveland West Side joints.

• Visited January 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“lambics and ciders!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

we end up here about once a month. try to go for a late lunch and avoid friday or saturday night as wait time can get long. beers on tap rotate but usually have one cider. sadly i have given up believing what their website says is on tap for the day. so don't get your heart set on a particular beer unless you call to verify then of course they could still sell out. foodwise i like the caesar salad and the fries are great--thin and cooked properly. service is friendly but the place is often too busy for the number of servers.

• Visited November 2012