“extra special for July 4”
Review of Pier W

Pier W
Reserve with OpenTable
Pier W is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 144 Restaurants in Lakewood
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 4 Blocks West of 117th Street
Description: Pier W, a landmark Cleveland restaurant, has been serving a critically acclaimed seafood and contemporary menu since May 11, 1965. Having recently undergone a $3 million interior renovation, the new Pier W resembles a sophisticated luxury liner cantilevered over Lake Erie offering dramatic views of both the Lake and the downtown Cleveland skyline. We would like to request that shorts, flip flops and baseball caps are not worn to the restaurant.
houston
“extra special for July 4”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very nice restaurant recommended by hotel staff. We enjoyed the view of the lake and the downtown Cleveland skyline, and it was perfect for viewing the fireworks. The food was excellent. My husband enjoyed the cod with Cajun shrimp, chorizo and calamari accents, and my tenderloin medallions were delicious and well prepared. Service was attentive and friendly and the wine list was interesting and fairly priced. Glad we tried it!

Visited July 2013

Strongsville, Ohio
“Wow! What's not to like?”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic food, great service and a spectacular view surrounded by a chic upscale atmosphere! Sean B was our server and provided us with te very best service! The piano player in the lounge positively adds to the big city, upscale & chic atmosphere. We love Pier W!

Visited July 2013
La Jolla, California
“Views and Quality Food”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Pier W has been around a long time, but it is not worn and tired, but remains fresh and lively. The brunches are a feast for the eyes and the stomach, but you best come hungry! The main dining room serves food befitting special occasions, though many feel that every day is a special occasion and so dine here frequently - it is a romantic spot with beautiful views of the lake and downtown Cleveland. Happy Hour remains our personal favorite when the appetizers are 50% off and there are many discounts on drinks. We love the sliders, the short-rib pierogies,the tempura blu cod sandwich, the lobster bisque and the pizza, but there is plenty more to choose from.

Visited June 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Amazing.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My boyfriend got himself in a world of hurt by taking me to this restaurant for our anniversary! It was PHENOMENAL! I actually ordered a large steak with a leek & mushroom duxelle. It was the most palatable thing I have ever tasted. I am considering ordering the duxelle as a side "to-go" sometime soon! My boyfriend got the diver scallops, while there were only 3 scallops for his meal, they were certainly delicious! Oh, and the view of the Cleveland skyline over the lake is absolutely to die for. Visiting this place is a must and worth the money spent!

• Visited May 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Should be a 5, but for one mistake”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I wanted to love everything about this place - from the neat location and phenomenal views to the classy interior and expertly cooked fish. In almost every way imaginable, Pier W hit it out of the park. But they made a pretty noticeable error in my dish, that I think warrants losing one star. I'll get to that in a minute.

First, the good parts, of which there were many. Pier W is located some ways away from Cleveland proper, in a ritzy looking area right along Lake Erie. It can be hard to find because it is tucked in between two towering condo buildings and actually built down into the rock of the shoreline. Walking up, all you see is a glass vestibule, from which you descend into the restaurant itself. Once inside, you see how all these factors work together to give you an amazing view. Set down close to the water, and with a view across the lake to downtown Cleveland, it is quite remarkable, and hard not to stare out the window throughout the entire dinner. Due to some clever terracing, nearly every seat has an unobstructed view of the lake.

Food was generally exquisite as well, starting right off the bat with bread and fancy compound butters (one was basil, I forget the other one). We each opted for clam chowder to start, which was among the best I've ever had. Smooth and creamy with fresh steamed clams, including two on the shell. I decided to try the most local fish I could, and ordered lake perch. The many perch fillets came roasted to a perfect flake, set atop a bowl of risotto and artichoke leaves. The fish was delicious - lightly enough seasoned that its own flavor shone through, and the risotto a nicely creamy base.

Which brings me to my only complaint - the artichokes. I have no problem with artichokes, and enjoy them in many dishes, provided they are prepared properly. If not, each petal contains a sharp spike, or "choke" that can range from unpleasant to painful if eaten or swallowed. Well, the artichokes in my dish were rife with chokes, a fact I was unsuspecting of on my first few bites. I tried sifting them off, but eventually had to remove all the artichokes entirely and just eat the fish and risotto. I know artichokes are a pain to clean, but why not just put something simpler into the dish?

The funny thing is, everything else was so good, I almost let the artichokes slide and gave this place a 5. Particularly after my coworker decided he didn't want his swiss chard, which I threw into my dish, and it honestly worked better than artichokes in the first place. But regardless, the view, the ambiance, and the vast majority of the food was so good that Pier W should have no problem being a 5-star restaurant. Just take a little more prep time and fix the little mistakes. I'd come back in a heartbeat, especially if I'm on an expense account!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Cyclone05

Been to Pier W? Share your experiences!