“Identity Crisis”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Players on Madison - CLOSED

Players on Madison
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Belle Ave
Description: For over 20 years Players On Madison has been known as the premier restaurant for pizza & pasta. Now, chef Anthony Romano has expanded the menu to include contemporary cuisine in the bistro-style eatery. His creativity is dynamic & reflected in the ever-changing menu.
Toledo, OH
“Identity Crisis”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was part of a large group that visited early on a Saturday night. What kind of place would call itself "Players"? I'm thinking a gambling or pick-up joint. It's a strange name, but I guess if the name has been around for years (as mentioned in earlier reviews), I guess we'll overlook it. We happened to have really liked the interior of the restaurant. It was very cozy. Sarah, our waitress, was exceptional. I had high hopes for the food, but was quickly disappointed. My husband really liked his beet and goat cheese salad, but my salad was ruined by cheddar cheese. What is cheddar cheese doing on a salad with pears, dates, and pecans? Feta would have been a better compliment. My husband's eggplant parmessan arrived luke-warm. Unfortunately, he didn't say anything. Later he commented that he could barely taste any eggplant and that he didn't care for the tomato sauce. I ordered the squash ravioli, which was a nightly special. Big mistake! First problem, as mentioned in an earlier review, was the price. When I got the bill, it was $29. DON'T ORDER WITHOUT KNOWING A PRICE AT THIS RESTAURANT. I love squash ravioli and am always looking for different sauces to try with it. This one was not good. It was bacon and onions. It overpowered the squash. I tried scraping it off, but still couldn't taste much squash. So now we have eggplant parmessan without much eggplant taste and squash ravioli without much squash taste. I think the restaurant may be trying to hard to be innovative. Cut down on ingredients and go for quality in a few simple ingredients. The last surprise of the night was the bill. It was $80 for the two of us and that was with one diet coke.

• Visited December 2012

Cleveland, Ohio
“Wish I Could Say Better Things!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

If there was ever a place I'd pull for more, it's Players. I've heard how great it used to be, and to honest even the first time I went 5 years ago it was much better than it is now. It's just so overpriced for what it is. They're living off of what their reputation used to be, and I'm scared it will not end well for them. They either need to update their interior/get better food on the menu, or lower the price/have better specials. We're pulling for you Players! I really want this place to be as successful as it can be.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Ashley D
Joe S, Guest Relations Manager at Players on Madison, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Hello Ashley,

Thank you for your review and I apologize for not having a satisfying experience on your visit. We have udated our menu recently and are always trying to balance food costs to give the best all around dining experience one could enjoy. Your review will be heard and forwarded to managment as we listen to our customers opinions for improving ourselves. Some refreshing news is we are indeed currently in the process of updating the interior of Players which should be completed by the new year. Along the way we are creating fresh ideas, new dinner options, and making entertainment changes that will help us continue on our success of 30 plus years of serving wonderful patrons who encourage us to be the best we can be.

Thank you and we hope to have you join us again,

Joe from the Players
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We were so excited to go to this restaraunt as we are new to town & love having a regular favorite place to go.
We let the host know it was my birthday too. The waiter was benign in recommendations and not very engaging. Not once "happy birthday" or special occassion noted. Appetizer was Brie - toasted & yummy, but no bread brought out. Stale bread came out afterwards - My filet was over done- they cooked another - by the time meal came out, my husband was almost done eating. The host did come over and apologize. Waiter did not. Dessert of chocolate torte was delicious.
I guess for a special occassion, Players did not give that special attention for a special occassion.

Ruskin, Florida
“just average....still”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

first time back in years.......and it will be years before i'd ever consider going back again. food is good, but average, service is slow, unpolished and confused. decor is better than it used to be where you used to have the server's butt in your face all night because the table were so close together.....that's the one good thing that they changed, better seating with more room around tables, less crowding.

Visited July 2012
Willoughby, Ohio
“Nice change”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Moderate price, very good staff, nice menu. Pizzas are great! Tuna was seared perfectly, good bend of flavors. The food is excellent, the menu is "safe" but that is not a detractor. A little crowded, but the tables are set at different angles to give impression of more space. Very nice patio too.

• Visited August 2012