“A one-of-a-kind getaway”

Dream Horse Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kinsman
Dream Horse Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Kinsman B&B and Inns
Virginia
“A one-of-a-kind getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at the Dream Horse Guesthouse and had a wonderful time there! We had the brand new Horse Power Suite and I marveled at how beautifully decorated it was - rustic and elegant, decorative and simple at the same time. Not overdone. The giant bed was firm and sooooo comfortable, with a gorgeous red and white cover and luxurious feather pillows. The chaise and sofa were super comfortable too. The room had a small gas fireplace, which I thought we'd use all the time, but the room was already warm and cozy on a fall weekend and we didn't end up using it at all. Never turned on the giant flat TV. The Keurig coffee machine and provided coffee were a happy surprise that we immensely enjoyed. There was a mini fridge and microwave so we enjoyed making our own dinners in the microwave and staying in - but when we explored town we enjoyed Carol's Times Square Restaurant for simple diner fare - wonderful chili and sweet potato fries! So the lack of nightlife and fancy restaurants was not at all a downside for us.

We are animal lovers, as Alan and Catherine clearly are too, so we were also pleasantly surprised to meet Woofie the inside cat and Kit-Ten the one who stayed outside. While I waited on the porch in a light rain for my sister to arrive late at night, Kit-Ten jumped in my lap, cuddled and purred and kept me good company. I had brought my guitar and Catherine invited me to play in the common area - I did stick mostly to the room and porch to practice quietly.

This is almost a walker's paradise. There's a nice long circuit for a country walk to enjoy fall color and some horses, cows, and chickens along the way, but it is walking along a road with no sidewalks. Little traffic though. Next day we walked into the Market Square area and enjoyed the HUGE used bookstore, the Dollar Store, and seeing Clarence Darrow's octagonal boyhood home. We got to pet the ponies on the way back. Several people offered us a ride - someone who overheard us in the Dollar Store telling the cashier about our long walk, the owner of the Times Square restaurant, I was just struck by how open, welcoming and kind all the people we met in Kinsman were.

Alan and Catherine were a treat to meet. They were wonderful hosts. I felt pampered and welcome. Breakfast was at 9 each morning and I loved the French toast the first day and eggs and bacon the second day. They accommodated my sister's gluten sensitivity even though we had neglected to mention it before arriving, and had delicious oatmeal for her. All the plates were decorated with a purple-flowered sprig of catmint, which was just one of the subtle decorative touches that Catherine has placed all over the house. Her artistic touches are beautiful to see. Alan's story of his barn-turned-home is so amazing. We were so lucky to get a tour from him and see how he created this amazing place from a blank canvas.

The house has the old original beams showing in many places. There are interesting angles and surprising shapes to the areas, ample windows, and everything is done with love and care - all the doorways have a decorative molding, all the built-in furniture has curves or flourishes, beautiful cut glass provides accents here and there in the walls or over doorways. The curving metal stairs were hand modified to exactly fit their space. Beautiful old buildings provided salvage materials that Alan has incorporated into this special place. Catherine has used her artistic soul and interior decorator training and experience to beautify it all further. It's a work of love and that shows everywhere. It is not the Ritz and it isn't all perfect, but sometimes things are better that way. There's a new suite in progress that is going to be absolutely gorgeous with two levels and a balcony.

We got to see every room in the house. The Gypsy Wagon Suite had been one of my original choices and I loved that room especially too, with it's huge whirlpool tub. I think I still loved Horse Power the best because we had such a good time there. There are steep stairs so we thought possibly someone who has a lot of trouble with stairs might have trouble navigating their bags to an upstairs room, but for us this was not an issue.

I could spend a whole page on the Horse Power bathroom. I brought a bunch of stuff for a "spa weekend" without the spa and the whirlpool tub with a handheld attachment for washing hair was perfect. There was a small gas fireplace there too (but we did not use it either) and a window with a chandelier near the tub - loved the chandelier! The home laundry area is at the end of that bathroom behind a screen, and we had agreed that the owners could come in and do laundry while we were out, but they ended up waiting till we checked out. It's just different staying in a home versus a hotel so this was not an issue to us but someone expecting a hotel-type stay might choose a different suite because the laundry machines are there.

The outside sitting area was cozy and if we'd had more time we would have spent it out there with a fire. The porch was a great place for many to sit and visit. This would be a nice place to have a family reunion. The weekend with my two sisters there was a refreshing, remote luxurious getaway.

We will definitely be back and will highly recommend the Dream Horse Guesthouse for anyone who wants to get away from it all and refresh their spirit in a beautiful home with gracious hosts.

Room Tip: Two thumbs up for Horse Power
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravlinWithKidz

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Pristina, Kosovo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is a very belated review for Alan and Catherine's unique and fun B&B in rural Ohio.
We stayed for a weekend in August because we were in town for a family wedding. In fact, our extended family reserved most of the rooms in the B&B, and Alan and Catherine were very helpful with everything. My husband, son and I stayed in the upper room (I forgot the name of it...) with a small kitchen, comfortable living area and big master bedroom. It was very comfortable and we loved the room and decor. Oh, and the views out of the windows of the rolling fields and horses galloping around the fields were also memorable.
The breakfasts were also wonderful, not only delicious but beautifully presented, with sliced fruit, coffee and tea and cheerful banter with the owners. We would gladly stay there again the next time we're in town visiting our family!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank expatmominkhartoum
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I recently stayed at the Dream Horse bed & breakfast for one night. The staff were very pleasant and made me feel welcome. The surrounding area is rural and had no nearby-by options for evening meal, drinks, etc. There is a side road next to Dream Horse and I walked for some time, enjoying the fields and fall colors.

On arrival, I noted that the media & conference room was very cluttered with papers stacked up on a number of surfaces.

I stayed in the Open Sleigh room, which was on the 2nd floor. The room was clean, but quite small. I quickly found that the wooden floor creaked with every step and the bed also made noise when I moved. I've previously lived in a building that was built in the 1700's and know that just because it's old, doesn't mean something has to squeak constantly.

The private bathroom/toilet was actually next to my room; I had to leave the room and enter the bathroom that was at the top of the stairs and in full view of the breakfast area. I was concerned that the bedroom door was very close to the top of the stairs and was a potential fall hazard in the night if you weren’t paying attention. My room had a small fridge and a view over a steel roof to a side road and someone else’s house. It rained during the evening and the sound on the steel roof was wonderfully soothing, just as the owner advertised.

The bathroom was clean and was beautifully designed with wooden beams running through the ceiling and walls. Although I didn’t spend long in the shower, there was plenty of hot water.

I had a semi-private entrance (it was shared with the high horse room and another suite). The spiral staircase leading to the high horse suite stuck out into the landing and I had to maneuver around it each time I left my room. I noted that the high horse room doesn’t appear to have a door. It’s accessed by walking up the spiral stair case and it seemed that other guests could potentially access your room and unsecured belongings.

I left before breakfast, so can’t comment on the food/service.

I understand that the dream horse is a rebuilt barn and the owner has done a good job of making it a very interesting and unique building but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Wow, this place is amazing! Allan and Catherine are the most incredible, most gracious hosts we have met on our walk across America! It is an old barn, that Allan has rebuilt over the last 30 years, making a 10,000 square foot B&B. They also have stables and horse tours, and housing for animals.

The rooms are just incredible, spacious, homey, and comfortable. They made a great breakfast for us in the morning, and showed us their home and how they had built it over the years. We felt so welcomed and so comfortable, it was like staying with old friends or family. The beds were large and comfortable, and the upper room suite is like its own apartment, with full kitchen, dining room, and hot tub.

They have several other services as well, massage therapy, horse rides, and animal storytelling. It is really an incredible place, it is huge and homey, and completely unlike any thing else you have ever seen. You wont be able to find more incredible people or more welcoming hosts. If you have the opportunity, you have to stay here!

Room Tip: Tell them the guys from the Great American Walkabout sent you!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sylvania, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Al and Catherine are wonderful hosts, who make you feel at home as soon as you arrive. We have stayed here the last two years and will be returning this month (July 2011) and possibly later again this fall. We love the country, quiet, peaceful atmosphere. The B&B is adorable, and the breakfasts very filling and delicious! Highly recommend the Dream Horse Guesthouse if you are looking for any type of getaway.

*We also enjoyed the horseback riding, spa treatments, campfires, and horse time that they offer! :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife and I were visiting some friends near Lake Pymatuning and needed a place to stay. Ran across Dream Horse on the Internet and reserved their last room. I was a little worried because my wife is pretty picky and we had a bad experience with one of my previous random Internet selections. I even waited until we were a mile away before i told her it was a former barn! We could not have been more pleasantly surprised. Catherine and Alan were gracious and the former barn was amazing - a true testament to what a man with a dream can accomplish! This place is worth a visit even if you don't stay, if nothing else just to see the incredible work they have done to create such an inviting home. Accommodations were great, the room adorable (my wife's words) and the breakfast a delight. We wish we had more time and will be back many times in the future. It's always a pleasure to make new friends that make you feel like family!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DBouterse
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2007

We needed a place to stay in the Northeast portion of Ohio that allowed animals and I hated to take my new bride and our dog to a Super 8 so I hit the net. It didn't take long until I stumbled across the Dream Horse Guesthouse and I'm glad I did. They treated us and our dog like royalty and set up a horse ride for us with a local lady who was also a character.

B&B's are sometimes pricey but this one was very competitive with the local chain hotels. It's deep in Amish country, we saw lots of horse and buggies on the way to the house. The house was originally a barn, a lot of the structural elements from the barn are still in place although the rooms are modern and comfortable. I'd recommend bringing your own pillows though, theirs were kind of flat and had a plastic cover on them that wasn't the best to sleep on.

The breakfast was very tasy, pancakes and an assortment of fresh fruit with more than enough to get us full. They let our dog come downstairs and sit with us while we ate too which was a nice touch. They also board horses if you happen to be traveling with them, they had 6 empty stalls when we were there. The two horses on premises are beautiful Tennessee Walkers who gave us a show while we ate.

The couple who run the B&B are very sweet and we enjoyed our short visit. They even sent us a thank you card for staying there which was a nice touch. I would definitely recommend giving the Dream Horse a try!

• Liked — The jacuzzi tub
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank LsDano2

Been to Dream Horse Guesthouse? Share your experiences!