“Poor Quality”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Kent
NORTHWOOD
“Poor Quality”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The bed was not comfortable lumpy and sloped to one side, pillows were to small. The continental breakfast was quite small, just cereal and waffles no pastries. I've stayed at other hotels and had a much better selection for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
SHARON
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Here's the thing. I expect the lamps to work. One had a burned out bulb, and one was missing the bulb altogether. "I'll look for a bulb," said the lone employee on site, and found one, bless her, but I had to go fetch and install it. And the fridge NEVER worked. Didn't even bother about that. LIfe is too short.
The hotel is fairly newish, and it was in decent shape. Felt safe enough and clean enough, but definitely bare bones. I was only there to sleep before a race, and wasn't looking for amenities because there was no time in the trip to enjoy them. But if I WAS looking for amenities, I'd look elsewhere next time.
Still, it suited my purpose for the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Rego Park, New York, United States
Reviewed August 24, 2012

have stayed in many Super 8 hotels, they are not 4 star hotels but they provide a place to shower and sleep, and that's just what I needed this night.....

Our problems started upon arrival at this Super 8's front desk. The young woman working there informed us she could not split the bill on 2 credit cards. I told her that I thought it was absurd! Every hotel I have ever shared was always able to accommodate us and would split the charge. The woman at the desk called the manager, who told her not to do it. I told her I was not pleased and to tell her manager it's unreasonable!

We went to our room, when my buddy came out of the bathroom he was laughing. He told me the towel rack was barely hanging on the wall. 3 out of 4 screws were not screwed in, including the 4th. We went to dinner.

When we returned after dinner the young lady called our room to tell us the manager was there and he would split the charges. I went down to the front desk, where I had 20 minutes of my time wasted while the manager tried and failed to split the charge on his computer. Turns out he was able to charge my buddy's credit card for an additional half days charge though. After standing there 20 minutes I told the manager to leave it the way it was. I went back to the room......

My buddy went to sleep I watched TV. When I turned down my bed's covers I noticed the BED BUGS. I immediately took my bag (which I never put on a bed, always on top of the dresser) and put it back in my car. I ran across the street to the Days Inn booked a room. Went back to the Super 8, told my buddy to get up we were moving. I went to the front desk told the guy behind the desk to refund our room that we were leaving immediately. He asked me if we wanted a different room. I told him I already had one at the Days Inn. When we got across the street my buddy called his credit card company and informed them of the situation, he was told he would not be responsible for any charges.

So if you ever find yourself in the Kent/Akron area, stay any place but here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Kent hotels

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Days Inn across the street has a pool and a much better breakfast, including waffles. When I stayed at this Super 8, my room smelled dreadfully and, at breakfast, they ran out of milk, muffins, and all but one cereal before 8:00 a.m.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is hands down the worst motel/hotel I have ever been in! My family had a reservation there made through Priceline. We had two rooms reserved. We were a little skeptical when we pulled in but we figured it couldn't be that bad - we were wrong. We hauled up our luggage up to the 3rd floor and found that someone else was already checked into one of the rooms!! So they gave us another room! It was not made up!! The place was filthy, it stank, there was garbage piled up all over the parking lot, and strange people were cooking on charcoal grills in the parking lot! We left immediately and drove to Canton where we stayed in a very nice Ramada Inn.
This place needs to be closed down!!!!!!!! DON'T STAY THERE!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I and our children stayed there from 7/7/2012 - 7/14/2012. Never again. First off, I specifically requested a non-smoking room when i booked it, but on arrival, I was told there were none available. Luckily, another couple who wanted a smoking room traded with us. Two days later we returned to find a man trying to enter our room with a keycard. I informed him that it was our room, alas he didn't speak English. he showed me his keycard container and it had our room number on it. He eventually left and I thought all would be well. We went out the next day and upon our return found that our keycard no longer worked. After several attempts the door opened from the inside and the same man who had tried to enter our room the previous day was now in our room. I went to the desk and they said that i was not registered and I would have to re-register. When I asked about the few belongings we had left in the room I was informed that housekeeping had cleaned the room. We were given another room. When I picked up the ice-bucket it was wet and smelled of beer. I was going to go to the desk to get it replaced when the handle on the door broke, effectively trapping us in the room. I was eventually able to piece the handle back together and get it to work. We were given another room. Two days later, our cards wouldn't work and we had to travel back to the desk to have new ones made. When we went back to out room, housekeeping had cleaned our food from the refrigerator. On checkout we complained to the manager who was rude to my wife and would offer nothing in compensation.

Room Tip: If you have children, do yourself a favor and spend the extra bucks for the Hampton across the stree...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We rented a room through Expedia, using their unpublished rates, meaning you take whatever they give you. Well, this was bad beyond our fears. First of all the main lobby was filthy, with dirty tables and floors. They serve "breakfast" in that lobby. They gave us a room on the third floor, so we hauled suitcases, a cooler, etc. upstairs - this is after an eight hour drive that day.
Things didn't look too good. The furniture was all beaten up, chair cushions stained. When I looked behind the desk for an electric outlet there it was filthy, with an old toothpick and who knows what else back there. I pulled back the comforter to check the bed for bugs. I didn't see bugs, but the comforter was REALLY filthy. Unidentified stains, and at least one blood stain. I pulled the comforter off the bed to find about a 5" hole in the blanket underneath. Some of the washcloths looked filthy. I had had it. I picked up the comforter and carried it at arms length down to the lobby, where I told them the room was awful. To give the desk clerk credit, she asked what I wanted to do. I said I wanted my money back and to go somewhere else, but according to Expedia policy this type of reservation was non-refundable. She told me to call Expedia, and she would clear a refund. So we went to a beautiful Best Western in Canton and paid a lot more than we wanted to, and got an excellent room and service with full breakfast. However, we sure got to bed a lot later than we had planned. We wanted a place to just relax, hang out and decompress from the trip. NOT!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Comfort Inn Kent
Comfort Inn Kent
#2 of 8 in Kent
Holiday Inn Express Kent State University
Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area
Kent State University Hotel & Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Red Roof Inn Akron South

Been to Super 8 Kent/Akron Area? Share your experiences!