“Worse than terrible”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Clarence Center
“Worse than terrible”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Room was so disgusting that I ended up calling the County Board of Health. Food stuck to walls, floor not cleaned, even though it was a smoking room, the smell wasn't just smoke. Were offered a can of air freshener. Avoid for the benefit of your health.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay.
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had a coupon that brought the price down to fifty dollars so we weren't expecting a lot. And we got even less. The place was reasonably clean although the remote control wouldn't work. We found the battery on the floor under one of the beds which suggests that housekeeping hadn't vacuumed very well. I'm not a picky sleeper but one of my pillows was so hard that I couldn't use it. We came back from supper and entered through the "security door" on the north side of the building. It wouldn't close which pretty much ruined any security it might have offered.
The worst surprise came in the morning when I got in the shower and had tepid water (at best) It wasn't so cold that I couldn't stand it but it was definitely not even warm, let alone hot. When I called the front desk, the clerk told me that "there are forty rooms in the hotel and we're nearly full. We only have two hot water heaters so that's all you're going to get." Thanks a lot.
The "breakfast" was some white bread, a couple of packaged muffins and the infamous waffle maker. We decided we would rather pay for something edible down the road. Next time we'll move on down the road.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Kent hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is an older Econolodge, but all was fine and clean. It has some signs of wear. I have stayed multiple occasions since my daughter attends the local college. Breakfast was basic and the room was fine. Nice flat screen tv on the wall. The beds are pretty comfortable..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Kettering
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am a choice hotels regular, who travels for business, I stay at various named properties under the brand. When I have to spend 2 nights or more in an area I do my best to save money. When I can stay 2 nights at an economy property for the price of one in a "better" property I usually choose the economy. I read all the horrible reviews this property has here but decided to give it a try anyway. I found this property to be the usual Econolodge. Nothing fancy, but clean and acceptable budget priced lodging. The only real issue I have with this property is its location, right next to Ohio 43. You can hear every vehicle drive by from inside your room(my room faced the road). This issue is not something that can be remedied easily so I would just recommend asking for a room that did not face the road.Other than that I found this Econolodge to be a good value, large,clean, rooms good wi-fi. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face away from the highway could be quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank foto_johnyoc
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is an older Econolodge, but all was fine and clean. It has some signs of wear, but all told I would stay here again in a minute. Breakfast was basic and the room was fine. Nice flat screen tv on the wall.

As for some of the bizarrely negative reviews, I don't get it. There are a lot of similar 2-star hotels right on the same strip and maybe they've gone to war with each other. Maybe it was a lot of hotwire/priceline novices unhappy with their room choice--ALWAYS call the hotel after booking through the blind sites.

Room Tip: Ask for backside--always call ahead to confirm with priceline/hotwire.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vtmathteacher
Fairborn, Ohio
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Booked this hotel threw my choice privileges and when we got there their was hardy any parking room. We got in the room and you could hear everyone walking up stairs. There was mold in the shower around the plastic Handel and the water would only get Luke warm. The microwave was dirty. The sink looked like crap.

• Stayed November 2012
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were looking for an inexpensive hotel for a night and this fit that just fine. It is basic, but it was clean and quiet. There was a mini fridge and a microwave. Easy parking, interior doors, and an indoor pool. The free breakfast was standard fare including pastries, bagels and a waffle maker. The bathroom was very small and the sink area is open to the rest of the room. Very convenient to the freeway and only a few minutes drive to downtown Kent.

I'd stay here again if I was looking for a cheap place to stay.

Room Tip: We were at the north end of the hallway and couldn't hear any freeway noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank scrapchick256
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Comfort Inn Kent
#4 of 10 in Akron
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 9 in Streetsboro

Been to Econo Lodge Kent? Share your experiences!