“Pricey” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bistro on Main
Ranked #4 of 112 Restaurants in Kent
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Northeast Ohio
“Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Only eat here once for a special occasion. Pricey but very good.

Solon, Ohio
“Mediocre at best.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

My husband ordered pasta special of the day with salmon. I tasted one noodle w/o any seafood and it was so fishy tasting it was disgusting. I could not have eaten this entre and I love salmon. I ordered Beef Short Ribs pot roast style. It tasted good, but it was pot roast, there were no ribs involved. I believe this was false advertising. It tasted good though. House special salad was not special at all. Poorly dressed salad on a plate with a couple of pieces of blue cheese and fruit. We ate a table in the bar and there were apparently many drink and appetizer specials available in the bar, but our waitress never mentioned that fact. We ordered a bottle of wine when we could have ordered by the glass and saved quite a bit of money as well as had the opportunity to taste a couple of different wines. I feel she was not looking out for her customers. I would not go back. Much better places to dine.

• Visited December 2011
Ohio
“A Very Nice Place with Great Specials”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

I've been there three times, 99% positive experience.

The first time I went was in July with my sister-in-law for after work cocktails in the lounge. We were both impressed with their inventive habenero martini and enjoyed our tasty large sandwiches and mountain of fresh fries. The bartender gave me a card to sign up for their email, and $20 certificates for my husband and my birthday months.

The second time I went with my mom in September or Oct. (can't remember) to take advantage of their $5 burger/fries special on Monday. We were the first ones there when they opened for lunch. We waited a while at the front until the hostess finally came up to seat us. Mom and I waited another while until we saw a waitress, while 3 other servers or bussers were setting the other tables. The waitress apologized as she told us there was some confusion on who was to wait on us. I asked if the $5 burger special was valid, since it was Monday, but a Federal holiday ( I think it was Columbus Day). She said yes and walked away. 5-10 minutes later we got two burgers without a drink order and without water. The burgers had tomatoes and blue cheese. I like tomatoes, but not on burgers. Mom doesn't like blue cheese. We told the waitress that we didn't even officially 'order' anything (my mom was considering the chicken sandwich). She said that since we mentioned the special, she just assumed that's what we wanted. We then told her about the tomatoes and blue cheese. She told us that if we read the email properly, we would have known that's the burger special, without any add-ons (The email just says "bistro burger"). We had to remind her that we didn't want anything added on, we just wanted things to be taken away, and, can we please have an iced tea and Diet Coke. She told us that if the email wasn't clear enough we should tell the owner to be more specific, because it was frustrating for the servers, because many ask for add-ons. We got our burgers back immediately, clearly they just scraped the blue cheese off and removed the tomato. We still didn't get our drinks, so we asked a busser for water. In spite of all this, the burgers were VERY tasty. The waitress sincerely apologized again after our meal, and said someone else was supposed to get our drinks for us. By this time, there were a whopping two other tables for lunch. I apologized, too, since we got a bit irritated when she said we couldn't add anything on the burger when we asked for items to be omitted. Mom and I guessed that this place probably gets many regulars who just order the burger with no questions asked, and this was not the first time a beverage order got lost in the shuffle (at other places). The bill was $10. We left $15.

We received an email certificate for $20 off for my husband's birthday month and did not use it.

I received my $20 email certificate for my December birthday month, used it last night, and had a wonderful experience. It was very crowded. It was Wednesday night's "Cheap Date Night:" a bottle of selected wine or a pitcher of beer, two salads, one pizza or pasta dish to split, and two mini cheesecakes for dessert - all for only $35! Great deal, in my opinion. We will come back for that special another time, but we were set on using our certificate, which only applies to entrees; fine by us, since we were salivating over the entrees displayed on their site. I couldn't wait to order a stilton cheese course after dinner - so decadent!

We waited almost 15 minutes for anyone to greet us at our table after we were seated by the host. We finally were greeted by an extremely pleasant waiter. But, again, we were offered an apology and was told that there was confusion on who was to wait on us.

I waited tables for 7 years in casual, corporate and fine dining establishments. Whenever there was confusion with stations, it was a lack of front house management. And, in the corporate and fine dining venues, I was trained to greet and take drink orders to help my team, regardless of my station. Both places had a 'two minute' rule, meaning a drink order should be taken (or at least water presented) within the first two minutes of seating. If one table complained or waited longer, we ALL got the heat.

However, Hubby and I were in a great mood to celebrate a week-delayed birthday dinner, and enjoyed the energy around us. We saw several 4-tops that were enjoying their 'cheap date night' specials - delicious-looking pizzas, bottles of wine and beer pitchers being enjoyed with double-dates. The decor is sophisticated but cozy.

And, our waiter was top-notch; professional as well as friendly; knew the menu well, and completely sold us on our entrees. My husband started with a superb chicken and corn chowder. The waiter told us that everything is made from scratch. Hubby ordered the short ribs 'pot roast style' with roasted carrots and garlic mashed potatoes and was floored with the fantastic flavor. He told the server that the only time he had to use his knife was to push the last bite onto his fork. I tasted it and it was fantastic. I had the delicious salmon with crispy spinach and red pepper orzo. The menu indicates that the salmon is served medium rare, and the waiter asked for assurance if that was ok. I said yes. I LOVE raw, rare and medium rare salmon. Lighter pink around the edges and darker pink to red in the middle. My salmon was fully cooked with no color change in the middle. However, it was still so tasty I did not send it back. It was still 'juicy' and not dry. Although it definitely wasn't medium rare, I enjoyed it all the same. The spinach and red pepper orzo was a wonderful combination. The orzo was delicious. It was tossed with a heavenly creamy cheese sauce, which I loved; however, the creamy cheesy sauce was not mentioned in the menu description. It was a welcome surprise to me, but may not be for someone who can't have dairy.

I was ready to order the after-dinner cheese course, but the waiter said it was no longer available. Instead, they offer a meat and cheese plate for an appetizer. He said that the website's menu has not been updated in a while. I was quite full after the sizable entrees, so I didn't mind so much.

Overall, a delightful experience, and tasty food outweighed a few glitches.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Inconsistent food quality, favorites changed or removed from the menu.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

As a longtime patron, I have seen the ups and downs. Unfortunately, The Bistro still has as many downs as it does ups. My latest visit on a Frday night was as follows; They took the ceasar salad off the menu, and only provide one small complimentary basket of bread. The adult mac 'n cheese now uses penne pasta instead of shells, and it's not as good as before (I think the price went up too). The Delmonico steak special sides of mashers and brussel sprouts were awesome, but the meat had no flavor. I really wish they would just keep the good stuff and add improvements. I won't be back for a while...

akron, ohio
“It could be better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

This is the first time my family and I have been there. I was there for lunch about a year ago and it was nice but we wanted to try this for dinner. First, the ambiance is A+ and the service was an A. I looked at the menu on-line before going so the choices and prices were not surprising. Their menu and choices is very limited and it's expensive but not out of the ordinary for fine dining-no complaints on the prices. The portions though are small, I would rate them a C they could be a 25 % bigger. There were 4 of us and we started off with asparagus bread which was good and got the lobster/crab egg rolls--which were excellent but we only got 3 so we split or 1 person loses out. For the entrees, I got the sea scallops and they give you 3 on top of crab/corn risotto and they are about the size of large Marshmallows so in my opinion this is small portion. Honestly--they were Gritty and had what appeared to be pieces of sand in them so they sucked but I did not complain. I would rate them a D cause they were cooked perfectly and tasty but the sand or whatever is a big turn off. So they need to either wash them better or get a new supplier-I would not recommend them. My son had the adult lobster/mac and cheese. I tried some of this and it was outstanding--A+. My wife had the flank steak and said it was very good. My daughter had some spicey pasta which I tried also and Olive Garden's pasta dishes are just as good if not better. We topped it off with mini-desserts and they were fine. So, overall I would rate the experience a B-. The bill was $ 135 for the 4 of us and I still tipped over 20%. I think the chef/owner should add lobster or a surf/turf or a filet mignon and get rid of the scallops and increase the portions just a little more. The bottom-line is, if they don't change the menu, I won't be back.

• Visited October 2011