“My stay”

Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Kent
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The rooms had a stale odor but once I sprayed the room one time the odor went away. I told the desk clerk about the odor and they promised to get to the bottom of it. The desk clerks were very nice and friendly and even gave me a bottle of water at check in. (I mentioned that I couldn't believe that Wendy's didn't have any bottled water when there was a gas station across the street.)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Hampton Inn, in Kent,Ohio has way surpassed my expectations. This hotels interior culture shows through each memeber of the management and staff. They treat you like family, which is a great thing especially when you are away from home.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice over the last two years so our daughter could attend softball camps at Kent State. When you make your reservation, ask for the Kent State discount. You should get a rate of $89 per night – a nice savings over the regular rates (including the AAA rate). The hotel is easy to get to from I-76. It is visible from the highway. It is about a 10-minute drive to Kent State and 15 minutes to downtown Kent.

The staff is exceptionally friendly. Upon checking in, the desk clerk offered us a two-page list of local restaurants that included a brief description of the type of food plus directions from the hotel parking lot. Very useful. There are no restaurants within walking distance.

The room was clean. There is a sign in the elevator that says the sheets and duvet covers will be fresh for each guest. I assumed the sheets would be, and was happy to know the duvet covers were, too. Our room had two double beds, a chair, flat screen TV, microwave, refrigerator, and bathroom. The bed was comfortable; the pillows were a little lumpy.

The complimentary breakfast was one of the better ones: scrambled eggs and sausage, Belgian waffles, oatmeal with toppings, cereal, fresh fruit and mixed fruit, bagels, and muffins. The food was continually restocked and the breakfast area was kept clean.

In the evening, the softball parents we travelled with sat around a large table off the lobby and talked and watched a college football game on a big screen TV. Our children were able to socialize. Some went to the pool although we did not.

While this is not a destination hotel, if you have activities related to Kent State, this hotel offers a clean room, comfortable bed, and hot breakfast. Sometimes that’s all you need.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stopped in late while driving back from east coast.

GOOD:
Really easy I-76 Access to hotel so can't beat the ease of the location. Very friendly & helpful front desk worker on Saturday evening (sorry forgot her name.) The employee working Sunday morning for the Hampton breakfast was really working hard and did a great job of keeping up with the crowd. Hotel does have a pool and hot tub.

AVERAGE:
Stayed in 2nd floor room far from elevator and room condition was a little disappointing. Lobby of property looked good but this room really needs updating. Room was clean but dated. Not awful but not great.

BAD:
We were woken up at about 3:30-4:00 AM by someone knocking on our door. We could hear some talking in hall and as I was going to door I heard someone say "OH! We thought this was the Days Inn! (which is located across the parking lot) so I don't know if they were drunk or lost but I was not at all happy to be disturbed. Not sure how they got into the hotel. I do think it was staff that was getting them out of the hotel. It was a short incident and handled quickly but it was irritating.

FYI - Front desk had recommended Salsitas Mexican Restaurant for quick late dinner. We walked to restaurant (very close) and they had GREAT Mexican food. I would recommend if you are staying at the hotel and looking for good, inexpensive meal and like mexican.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had three rooms, two were next to the elevators and a little noisey. The third was just fine and all were in great shape and very clean. I would stay there again but ask for a room NOT next to the elevators.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This newly renovated hotel is the perfect place to stay when our family visits Kent State University. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean and quiet, and the breakfast is good. It is close to the highway and just a few minutes from Kent State University.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2013

overall experiance was awsome the staff was very friendly and treated me like i was family i will be back to this same hotel and im sure that my stay will just as inviting as everytime i am the i look forward to the stay in my room i always get a good nites sleep the beds are very clean and very comfortable

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kent
Comfort Inn Kent
Hampton Inn Stow
Hampton Inn Stow
#1 of 5 in Stow
Hilton Garden Inn Akron

Been to Hampton Inn Kent/Akron Area? Share your experiences!