“Dirty Nasty Bathroom, Smelly rooms”

Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was a business/Family Stay. I was very disappointed. The bathroom smelled like strong old Urine and though I complained and the staff came to clean the urine smell would not leave. I had them replace the curtain and that helped a little but it was the worst stay. They offered to move us but the other rooms had musty old smell. We decided to clean our own bathroom and stay since all rooms were the same. The staff was nice but the rooms need updating. The only thing updated was the flat screen TV and the bedspread. The curtains had wholes and closets were tiny with no doors. The only thing I enjoyed was the sauna and the pool but terrible rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FamilyontheGo2011

Reviewed July 30, 2011

NO WAY this is a 3 star hotel as advertised on Priceline. It's an aged property, and while you can see some cosmetic updates have been attempted, it doesn't hold up due to staff. They seemed indifferent and somewhat clueless. The room had food wrappers on the floor from a previous guest, hair in the bathroom and even in the hair dryer, questionable hair in the linens...it all just added up to a poor quality stay. We had no towels when we arrived, but after about 20 minutes there was a knock at the door and a staffer handed me a wadded up ball of towels - not folded. Add to this an entryway that smelled like cat urine, and this is what you have in this hotel. MUCH better choices very closeby. Even my kids - who love to stay in hotels - couldn't wait to leave in the morning.

1  Thank Earl9371
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have to agree with some of the previous reviews. This hotel was not worth the money. I checked in later at 945pm. The front desk was going to give me a room on the first floor close to where the band was playing in the bar. I asked politely if I could be put anywhere else, 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc. I even said I did not care about the bed size either. I was given a room on the 2nd floor after waiting about 15 minutes. I walked in the room and it was so stuffy. I went to turn on the AC and it did not work. I called the front desk and I was told the maintenance man would come up and check it. I asked if I could just be moved to another room because it was close to 10pm and I wanted to go to bed. So, I came back down to the lobby. It took the front desk 10-15 minutes to find me another room. While I was waiting I heard the front desk clerk give breakfast vouchers to various people checking in. I asked if a breakfast voucher was included in my rate and I was told no. I thought for a rate of $140 a night that was a bit ridiculous. The room I was given was clean but there were no tissues, only two towels, and no hair conditioner. I went out of my room to get some snacks to learn that there is only ONE vending maching in the entire hotel and it was on the first floor by the pool. When I got back to my room, the room key would not work. I went to the front desk and asked for another key. The front desk clerk said it shows the key works fine but I will make you another one. Like I can't use a key properly. Finally, in the morning when I leave my room, there is no newspaper but every other room on the floor had one. And the bill they left underneath my door says I have a balance due of 138.00. I paid for the room in advance on hotels.com and the rate was 140.00 with taxes to come to a total of 162.00. The rate for the room on the bill was 119.00 a night plus taxes. I asked the front desk and they said the rate I was given was because of hotels.com fee. I looked at my receipt from hotels.com and it had their fee listed seperately outside of the hotel rate. Now I know they could not credit me the difference in rate because I already paid through hotels.com, but I explained to the fdesk clerk that it had not been the best stay and mentioned everything above. She didn't even blink. She didn't even offer me a breakfast voucher. This hotel was definitely NOT worth the money and I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jevin23
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised to find very nice desk clerks, very clean rooms, a nice pool, great TV, etc. The after hours bar and live music were great, too. The hotel manager saw us in the hallway and asked us if there was ANYTHING else he could do to accommodate us--but there wasn't! It was a very nice experience and we will definitely plan on returning.

Room Tip: We had a non-smoking room. I think everyone needs to smoke outside regardless!
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is the worst Holiday Inn that we have ever stayed at. Booked the last room availabe (that should have been our first clue). Upon entering the room all the drawers were open (second clue) and the room had a musty smell (third clue). Turned the aAC on thinking that would take care of the smell. WRONG!! We noticed right away there were no wash clothes so called the front deck. Left to attend a baseball game still no wash clothes. Returned from game, still no wash clothes, called the front desk again plus still
had the same odor. Left room again to get late dinner at nearby Outback (which was great). Returned to room, but key cards would not work, no wash clothes, same smell, called front desk again. Went over turn A/C lower, the carpet was soaked, I mean soaked at least 5 ft. out into the room. Heavy rain had come through the AC unit. At last the wash clothes arrived so told housekeeping about carpet. Said they would have someone with a shop vac come sweep it up. Forget It! was 11:00 p.m. and we wanted to go to bed. Wrong again! The AC unit was VERY LOUD and came on every 2 minutes and ran for 4 minutes. This went on all night, Never did seem to get any cooler. Finally at 5:30 A.M. got up to take a shower and check out (thank GOD we finally got wash clothes). Shampoo NO conditioner. No cups to brush teeth or take meds. Had coffee pot but no cups for that either!!. Went fo front deck to report everything. The desk clerk's response was "that's really too bad". I quess there was not a manager on duty because the she did not offer to get one. FInally after much discussion she did offer to take half off my bill. Half off for putting in the night from you know where. Have always stayed at Holiday Inns but will never stay at this one again!!!

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I was so disappointed. I had stayed there before and did not remember it being like that. Do not let the remodel fool you. The carpet was stained and dirty. The bathroom floor was dirty. The maid did leave enough towels the next day but you could clearly see that there was more than one person staying in the room. What was nice? The beadspread and the breakfast buffet. However, I wouldn't stay there just based on those two items. There are plenty of other hotels in Independence. Shop around. In addition. there was alot of construction going on in the area. I did not find the staff very knowledge about closures or detours. I would think for the popular's areas that they know visitor's would be going to they would be more helpful. However, overall I will say the service was not bad I was just a bit disappointed about not getting more help in traversing all the detours, etc.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank londonschic
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Our family stayed here when visiting from out of town for my Grandparent's anniversary. We received an awesome rate off of Priceline for around 50.00 a night. The kids really enjoyed the pool after several long days of family events and picnics, and we were able to view the independence fireworks from the indoor pool area. The hotel was very busy, and had a few large groups meeting there, but the staff was very friendly to all.