“all is well but the AC”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hotel was great except only the heat was on and the AC had not been turned on yet. I like a cool room at night and had to sleep with the window open which made this very comfortable room very noisy. All in all hotel was very nice with a great location and very helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cleveland-Independence

Reviewed April 17, 2013

As a person that does very little for travel for work and pleasure, my experience with this hotel was overall pretty good. We had a room with a queen bed, a microwave, a mini-fridge, couch, table, desk, and dresser and flat screen TV. The room was always neat and appeared to be clean. I can only think of two complaints about the whole experience. Our room had a door passage that led to the next room over. It must be a very cheap door because we heard everything from the other room and feared that the other party could hear us. I understand that hotels aren't going to soundproof their walls, but their conversation was crystal clear through the door, and we weren't trying to listen in. The only other complaint was that there wasn't a vent in the bathroom which caused an instant sauna every time a shower took place. That being said, the rest of the components of our stay was very good. There is a winking lizard within walking distance which we ate at a couple times. Great pizza! Went to Shula's 2 for breakfast one morning. They let me purchase the buffet and take as much food/drink back from the buffet I wanted back up to my room. Very nice option since we were on the go that morning. I would definitely stay here again, if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very good hotel. The room was great and the beds were very comfy. Room was spacious and the price was right. Staff very friendly and prompt with service. I would recommend to anyone you needed a hotel in this area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel is in a prime location for Cleveland without being IN Cleveland. However, that is about the only thing really going for it. The hotel itself is in mediocre to average condition, surprising for being a Hilton-branded hotel. Things are very dated and some things are actually kind of shabby. The food quality at Shula II's is mediocre, at best. The wait staff is rude (when my coworker and I went down for breakfast the first morning of three we would be dining there, the hostess looked at us and pointed to a table and said, "Y'all can sit right there."). The hot water comes and goes while in the shower - I had to crank it all the way up as hot as it would go in order to keep from freezing, then it would get scalding hot, then back to medium hot again. The microwave in my room had to be slammed shut in order to work, otherwise I kept getting a message on it that said, "DOOR," indicating it wasn't latched. The tub was dirty from the time I arrived to the time I left. The desk was placed in a position that had no outlet near it to plug in my laptop computer, so I had to sit on the couch and use the coffee table as a desk - incredibly uncomfortable. I mean, if you're not going to place the desk near an open outlet, what good is the desk except to write a note to someone, and who really does this? The elevator by my room had a horrible smell in it. The television when turned on defaulted back to the half-way point, which is exceedingly loud, which was VERY annoying. It would then take the television around a minute and a half to respond to button presses from the remote. The carpet in the room was dilapidated.

Now for the good. The bed was super-comfy. My HVAC worked really well, despite another reviewer's issue. The location of the hotel is ideal for those of us having business to conduct in Cleveland, but is far enough away from it to not be close to the crime and riff-raff.

I will stay here again just for the location alone - but as an overall experience for quality, customer service, value for the money, etc., you will probably be disappointed if you are experienced with other Hilton hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ChristopherM175
Reviewed April 6, 2013

As previous reviews have said, this is a great location. You are close to downtown for a much lower rate, however the quality is much lower, too.

The service was top notch. Every request we made they accomodated and were VERY nice.

The onsite restaurant, Shula's, had great food. We ordered room service late in the evening and they promptly delivered to our door. We ordered the nachos & a chicken wrap and they were both wonderful. We had included breakfast when we booked our room which was a buffet in Shula's. The buffet was kept full and tasted great.

As for the hotel room, there was nothing great or nice about it. The first thing we noticed was the terrible smell in the room. It almost smelled like it was a smoking room in a previous life. But, whatever it was I was immediately on guard, so to speak. I always go straight to the bed (no matter the hotel) and pull back the bedspread to look at the sheets and then pull up the sheet and check for bed bugs in the seams of the mattress. The comforter was filthy. It was suppose to be white, but the entire top edge was brown with either stains that didn't wash out or from not being washed at all. I only stayed because we had a spare set of sheets, which I slept on.

Next we opened the sofa bed to get our kids settled. When we opened it, the sheet and blanket were balled up in the middle. They were not just wrinkled from being in the closed bed, they were left from a previous guest and just closed without even being stripped. The front desk sent housekeeping in right away and she apologized, but also proceeded to tell us that all beds should have the protective pad and this bed didn't have one. But she changed the the bedding and brought pillows (as there were none) and corrected that issue.

Then the bathroom... I'm not sure what to start with, the ants on the floor or the hair in our towels and washcloths. When I went to the bathroom, there were several ants crawling around by the tub. My husband killed them, but there were a bunch more when I went back into the bathroom later. Beyond the bugs, we had used a hand towel to dry our hands and when I started the water to wash my face, there were a milion little black "things" in the sink. I knew the sink was clean when we first came, so I started looking at all the items on the sink and the washcloth (along with all the other towels in the bunch) were covered with hair. They were black, short and stubby and embedded in ALL of the towels in the bunch. It was disgusting, to say the least. I did not take a shower here, nor did I let my kids take one. But, my husband was fine with it.

It is very difficult to discern which reviews are correct or not, but I will give you some perspective with regards to my review. I, generally speaking, carry hand sanitizer and/or wipes with me. I ALWAYS wipe down the phone, remote and anything else we may touch. I always check the sheets and matress (as I mentioned above) and bring a spare set from home. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, but haven't reviewed much. As for my husband, he simply felt it was just an average to below average hotel. He didn't have as much an issue as I did. He is good to go if there is food and no roaches, so???

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013

As a business traveler I was disappointed with this hotel as it does not fit with other hotels in the Hilton family of brands. I stayed here with my family of four and was disappointed. The hotel is dated and not very clean. The room had poor hvac systems and was very loud at night. The pool was not clean either.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you are a business traveler, or family vacationing around the Cleveland area, why not pick this great suburban location close to Cleveland ( Downtown only 20 minutes ) or even Akron without the Downtown prices, yet situated in a nice trendy suburban town of Independence which has everything you need close by. I like that you have access to the expressways down the street from the Hotel: I-77 ( N/S ) I-480 ( E/W). Also, great restaurants close by ( Delmonico's for steaks, & Winking Lizard Bar ( Over 100 Beers! ) and decent menu to lay back after a long day. The Melt Restaurant for sandwiches is 2- blocks away with great micro-breweries on tap. These will be on my future restaurant review.

I believe this Hotel was recently renovated, and it really shows! Although I could not get into a King-size bedroom due to being out of my biz budget, i was very comfortable in the 2- bedroom with very comfortable bed and pillows. Good size LCD T.V that swiveled while I got work done on the work table with a/c outlet in the lamp. My particular room had a tight bathroom if traveling with others, however suited my needs with the typical amenities at a higher standard ( better shampoo/conditioner, fluffy large towels ).My $112 room + taxes was well worth the money considering The Hampton Inn was 3 -blocks away @ $125.00, not that it was expensive but got a nicer Hotel with Biz center/ Swimming Pool and attached Restaurant: Shula's-2, a slimmer/less expensive Steak/Burger/Sandwiches place that had excellent Buffet breakfast ( included with my trip ) with vouchers. I was not expecting these but maybe because I am a Honors member?? How can you go wrong with a chef making your custom omelettes and a buffet with fresh fruit, bagels, bacon/sausage as opposed to the Continental breakfasts offered by Hampton's and Fairfield Hotels? Oh, the Coffee served at Shula's-2 was way better than Hotel coffee!

The staff was very polite and offered me a warm cookie when I checked in. I inquired about local restaurants, and they printed off a list of local places, which was very helpful. I was always greeted by the staff and asked if everything was fine.

I will be back to stay at this location when I return to the area!

Room Tip: Try for a King Bed Room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business