“Not the best!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland Rockside
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We came to Independence to visit my stepsons who live nearby. Upon check-in at approximately 4:45 p.m. we found out they didn't have a king size room available for us which we have reserved and paid for prior to our check in. We asked how it could be 4:45 p.m. and there wasn't a room ready for us. He stated that the 6th floor is being renovated and many of the rooms were not available. After checking the system for a bit, the individual found a handicap room available with a king sized bed and a shower that was available. Being exhausted from traveling all day, we took it. We asked the guy checking us in if the hotel was full. He indicated that they were near full capacity due to a large hockey tournament in town. Lucky us!
Our room was #737 located on the 7th floor. Upon walking into our room we were pleased at the size. It was very spacious. A bit dated. It had a separate bedroom I will say that the bed was very comfortable. When we pulled out the sofa bed, we immediately noticed that the mattress had a huge tear on the side and the fitted sheet also had a hole. Kind of surprised at this. We walked around to get acquinted with where everything was. The hotel hosts a happy hour daily. We attended Thursday evening and was pleased. They had vegetable crudite and tortilla chips with salsa among beverages which you can get. We went by the pool and there was no way we were going to go. Overcrowded with a bunch of screaming, obnoxious kids!
At 11:30 p.m. we had to call the front desk to get security up on our floor due to kids running and screaming on our floor. It was unfortunate they didn't have security working that evening keeping order. Many parents just let their kids loose without any supervision or any concern for hotel guests.
The next morning took a shower. Since we were in a handicap room, the shower was a bit different. There was a slight incline. when I was done taking my shower I noticed that the bathroom as partially flooded from where the water ran down the incline all over the floor instead of in the drain. Had to use our towels to soak up all the water that was on the floor. Poor drainage.
Went down for breakfast. We were very pleasantly surprised. The breakfast was very good for the most part. Made to order omelettes, bacon, sausage, potatoes, variety of breads and pastries, bagels, various cereals, juices, coffee and oatmeal. Great selection. The breakfast was probably the highlight of our stay here.
After we were out all day, we came back to the hotel just in time for happy hour. The line was very long and the snacks were completely gone. They only had one bartender working. This was at 6:15 when happy hour is supposed to go till 7:30. Hotel planned poorly. After waiting in a long for our beverages, we went to our room to find that housekeeping came by and made our beds. The thing we did notice is that they did not empty our overfull trash can nor vacuum. We called the front desk and made a complaint and they sent someone up to empty the trash cans. Shortly after this our toilet clogged up. Had to make another call to front desk to get someone up to fix this.
Saturday evening same long line for the happy hour but this time they learned and had two working the line. Snacks were a very salty pub mix. When we went out to dinner and left the hotel, we noticed that a police car arrived. Came back from dinner and there were multiple police cars. Not sure what this was all about!
All in all the staff was friendly. We really liked the guy who cooked omelettes on the weekends. Very nice guy!
If we ever come back and stay at this hotel, I will make sure there is not a large group like this one staying again. it's very unfortunate that parents let their kids run wild without any regards for other hotel guests and it's unfortunate that I had to make a call to the front desk at 11:30 p.m. to complain about this.

1  Thank vikski85
Ed S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland Rockside, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Truly sorry to hear about your experience. It is difficult even with the extra security we put on for these sports weekends that other guest and there kids end up having a negative impact on other guest's stay. We try not to police our guest because anytime you have to do that hospitality is removed. I have looked at some of your other issues and addressed it with my management team. You will be happy to know that we have gone through a linen and terry refresh. I know we can do better than this so I hope you do give us another chance. We have definitely tweaked our policy on noise so I know it will be better during your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland Rockside

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Would never come here again. Probably never use Embassy Suites anywhere Usually use Choice Hotels never been disappointed Most places offer free WIFI to customers to be charged over and above a 150.00 rom is not very customer friendly

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I am truly sorry that us charging for WIFI upset you. In some cirumstances we would give you a one time courtesy access code to exceed your expectations. We charge to stay competitive with the local surrounding full service hotels. It seems you might have had other issues that you didn't list. I would love to get more feedback. I know we can do better if you would give Embassy Suites another try.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My son and I celebrate our birthdays every year at a hotel. He enjoys swimming since we have had a very long winter , I enjoy just sitting in the hot tub reading a book. Had a great get away! The staff was very helpful and friendly . Enjoyed the free drink at night. I even thought the breakfast buffet was pretty good. My 9 year old even made a couple of friends while shooting pool. Had no problem at all until i waited for the elevator and a kid coming out of the elevator pressed every floor before he got out so it took awhile to get to the 7th floor.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Ed S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland Rockside, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you so much for the great feedback. My staff will be very pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations. Unfortunately kids will be kids. It isn't unheard of to hear families becoming friends with other families at an Embassy Suites. This the cuture that makes an Embassy Suites different from the rest of the brands. We look forward to servicing you again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

The hotel was very nice with a complimentary reception and breakfast. I was happy with the room overall, it was pleasent and comfortable. The hairdryer did not work and we called room service, they brought another one right away. The lamp on the desk did not work but we did not address that problem. I was dissatified to find mold in the bathtub. I never like when you have to pay extra for wifi, but was pleased to find out that AT&T had a hot spot so I did not have to pay.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I am glad you had an nice time but it is unfortunate that you had to call for things to fixed in your room. Our standards are not to put our guest to work when they arrive. I will be sure to share your comments so we can do better job on your next visit to our hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback. This is the only way we can continue to get better.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Large and quiet rooms, and a welcoming staff. The Hotel has all you need for a business week. A small fitness center open 24/7 allows you to burn some stress after a business day. The restaurant offers aceptable diversity, and the omelettes prepared for breakfast are excellent!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback regarding your stay. My staff will be very pleased they you enjoyed your stay with us. We all look forward to servicing you again soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel is fairly new- very clean and well maintained. The office staff is professional and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and the housekeeping staff is outstanding. The full breakfast is outstanding and delicious. One of the best Embassy Suites I have stayed.

Room Tip: All rooms are superb!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. My staff will be very pleased to hear that they were able to exceed your expectations. We know there are alot of choices when traveling to the Cleveland/ Independence area and we want to continue being your first choice. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

we had a group staying at this hotel for tournaments i will say it is a nice place as far as looks go but looks are deceiving! When we checked in me and the girl i was sharing a room with was going to pay cash but that wasnt an option for us so i paid for one night with my credit card and she paid for one night on her card..needless to say my card has now been charged 3 times since i left saturday.. and they only thing they can tell us is "well im not sure why or what happened you have to wait 72 hours" umm no i didnt authorize any of the charges but the first initial one!!!so 3 days later i am still fighting with them about this! also as i was talking to the "manager" about this problem she insisted to help others while "helping" me the customer service was ridiculous.. our room wasnt cleaned while we were there they wouldnt bring us clean towels...and the toilet over flowed while we were sleeping and couldnt even get in the bathroom cuz of so much water... when we told them about it, it took them and hour and a half to come "fix" it if thats what you call it... the water pressure wasnt good at all...the bathroom looked like it hadent been cleaned in i dont know how long.. i wouldnt not recommend this hotel to anyone! and i say that because im not the only one they did it to that weekend a couple other ladies that stayed there that also was in the tournement was having alot of the same problems..

Room Tip: it was extremely loud in there im not to sure there would be any room worth it i was on the 7th floo...
3  Thank Amber K
Ed S, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cleveland Rockside, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

We spoke on the phone yesterday 3/27. I had my Front Office Manager with me and we both expressed our sincere apologies for the situation that you and your friend faced. We compensated the both of you for the inconvenience. Debit Cards can be tricky when dealing with banks. We took responsibility for the whole incident. After speaking with you I thought you were satisfied with our resolution. I would like to note that my manager stayed on the phone for over 2 hours trying to resolve this issue. I hope you feel we tried everything in our power to turn this situation around.