“Decent enough hotel, but not exceptional”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Buffalo, New York
“Decent enough hotel, but not exceptional”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Despite the various negative reviews, I was completely satisfied with the hotel and the price paid through a major online service. While I would question the validity of the 3.5 star rating, the hotel was more than adequate. The room and bedding were clean, pool was nice, and the staff friendly and professional. The hotel does show some age and signs of wear and tear, but nothing that would compel me to not stay again. It is arguably an average hotel-it serves its purpose and does so acceptably. Nothing stands out, either good or bad. For the rating of 3.5 stars, I was expecting some degree of "wow" factor, ie. special treatment, amenities, etc. However, despite this, I was not disappointed in light of the price paid. The only downsides I thought were the lack of amenities such as a fridge and a complimentary breakfast-things somewhat standard even in lower priced and rated hotels. There is an attached restaurant, but the prices, particularly if traveling with kids, are somewhat high-notably with a 19% service charge for room service plus a $2 service fee. Parking is somewhat inconvenient but not excessively so. You'll likely have to park in back, away from the main entrance and elevator access, which means either carting your luggage to the main entrance or up stairs via the back entrance. To summarize, if you can get a good price, eg. below $65, this is a hotel worth consideration.

Room Tip: Supposedly, the fifth floor (which I did not request) is a reserved "quiet floor". Whethe...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cje123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear cje123,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

I am pleased to note that despite some shortfalls, you were still able to enjoy your stay and you were satisfied with the services and amenities that we provide. Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you will give us another chance and allow us to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Our experience at the hotel itself (room size, check-in, etc) offered no major problems. On our first night there, however, our minivan was broken into and EVERYTHING was taken. Our kids nintendo ds, game pads, dvd players, winter coats, gps, double stroller (would have been helpful with twins plus 2 other youngsters at the science museum), camera, etc. We had arrived late that night and simply wanted to get the kiddos to bed so a lot was left in our locked car. The only things left were our kids car seats...probably because they simply had no more room for them. When the police arrived to take a report, they said there is a burglary ring hitting the area and they know which hotels have security cameras and which ones don't. If you plan to park in a different area, good luck because there are very few spots other than the back lot, completely hidden from view. I am terrified at the thought of what might have happened if one of us went to empty the car once the kids fell asleep...and met those individuals in a dark, isolated parking lot.
At this point, we are looking to replace our stolen items...but it is impossible for my childen to return their state of oblivious ignorance as to the bad elements of human-kind. My 4 year old keeps talking about the bad-man and my 6 year old will certainly never forget his birthday weekend when all of his favorite things were stolen.
I was somewhat surprised that the hotel didn't offer some sort of compensation. The likelihood that we would stay there again are slim and I understand they are not directly responsible. However, in the hospitality business, don't you want to keep customers (both present and future) happy? I guess an offer of a percentage off for a future stay (one that will likely not occur) wold have at least made me feel like they cared about their customers.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank micmaug
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
MicMaug,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that the loss of your personal items cast a shadow on what should have been an otherwise enjoyable stay. Please know that based on your feedback we will be working with our security team to provide a more pronounced presence in the parking lot. In any city, we always recommend that you stow your valuable items out of site when your car is unattended. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We do hope that you any your family have an opportunity to join us again so we can change your son's narrative about his birthday weekend. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. We would like to offer you an chance to join us again as a token of our good will. I look forward to an opportunity to speak with you soon.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I'm a new patient at the Cleveland Clinic. I didn't want to stay in busy downtown Cleveland so at the advice of someone at the Clinic, I booked our stay here for the 4 days. I was traveling with my mom and my two year old daughter. This hotel is ranked a 3 1/2 star so i expected it to at least be comparable to a Best Western Plus. Boy was I wrong! If this is a 3 1/2 the Best Western is a 5.

Tired from 6 hours of driving, we arrived in the late evening. The two at the front desk were in deep conversation that i had seemed to interrupt. They rushed through the check in, in order to get back to their conversation. I had expressed that i needed to be close to parking because im unable to walk very far. The young lady just brushed me off in a hurry to get me out of their face. The lobby is okay and was decorated very nice and that's where the niceness begins and ends.

The walk to the room was quite far and included steps down into what looked like a dark vestibule. Once we opened the door to the hallway the hallway was dark and dingy looking. Lighting was poor and carpeting was clearly old and dirty. When we entered the room things did not get any better. There was a very musty smell in the room, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and dust everywhere. The bathroom was borderline what i consider clean. There was what looked like brown makeup on the bathroom door that rubbed onto my hand when i opened the door. The bathroom was also so small that the door clearance was only about 6 inches from the toilet. There was no microwave or fridge which is something that is a must for my drinks and medications. These were items that i was told were available in the rooms at least. Realizing that this was clearly no going to work, i went back to the front desk and asked for a room change. I was given a king disability room because a roomy bathroom was a must. Still no fridge or microwave. The room was not in any better shape. There were dust webs in the corners, mismatched wall paper. The bathroom was less that clean and rather decrepit. The dresser looked like something that was picked up in a thrift store with many scratches and mismatched knobs. At this point i was drained to the point of no return from the drive and my daughter was tired as well. But I still had to go out at an additional expense in order to purchase a cooler from Walmart to store my medications in.

The plumbing in the bathroom was horrible! We had to close the lid whenever we flushed the toilet or risk being sprayed with toilet water. Because I am at a high risk of infection, I travel with industrial strength disinfectant, so my mom spent 15 minutes cleaning the bathroom that was poorly cleaned.

After VERY long days at Cleveland clinic, it was very hard for me to even keep my eyes open at night. One evening we thought we would give the pool at try. Wrong! The pool was freezing cold. The spa was nice and hot but there was something like gravel or rocks at the bottom that i cut my foot on. The kindest person of out entire stay was the pool guy!!! He was kind and very friendly and even took the time the manually check the temperature of the pool with a thermometer for me.

On the last morning our our stay needless to say that i was HORRIFIED when i woke up on the morning and pulled back the sheets all the way looking for my toddlers sock to find dried BLOOD stains in the middle of the bed. Because i had been so tired previously i hadnt noticed it which means that i had been sleeping on dirty sheets for 3 NIGHTS!!! My daughters face had been on those sheets for 3 NIGHTS as well. And it also meant the the sheets were not changed our entire stay. I felt sick to my stomach. I called to the front desk. He sent someone up from housekeeping who when she saw the stains said " so she didn't change the sheets again, please get your baby off of those dirty sheets" She said that she was leaving to inform the housekeeping manager, but no one returned. On check out, the stain issue wasn't even mentioned. I asked to speak to the hotel manager and her response was very nonchalant. "Im so sorry, did you call the from desk?" as if she had no knowledge of the situation. I let her know what happened. She was in such a hurry to get me out of her face that she was not understanding the fact that I SLEPT ON SOMEONE ELSE'S BLOODY SHEETS for 3 nights!!! That my baby slept on the sheets as well. She said that she would refund one night as if that was a consolation for exposing us to someone else's bodily fluids for three nights.

I left feeling overall disgusted, very disappointed and borderline angry! I left a phone call for the concierge services at Cleveland Clinic so I can talk to who ever makes the decisions on the hotels that they recommend because this hotel is clearly a health hazard especially for patients who may already health compromised.

And to make matters worse, imagine my surprise when i got home only to find out that I was never credited for the room as promised.

This hotel was one mistake that I will NEVER make again and I am going do my best to inform the necessary parties so that this doesn't happen to someone else!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank jaiere2001
Jaiere,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience during your stay with us. We take hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously. In the unusual event we are made aware of a concern; we respond immediately to the situation and take the appropriate steps to remediate the problem. I regret that your experience did not reflect this. Please know that based on your feedback the staff involved will undergo training. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Please know that there was a refund processed through your booking site, which should have arrived to your account already. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

Please contact me directly in the event that there are any aspects of your stay you would like to follow up on. I hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to provide the exceptional experience you deserve.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights in the past month. Although the room is pretty clean there is a lot of guests with very loud children who let them run through the halls all hours of the night. I thought it might be a fluke the first time we stayed but the same thing happened this past weekend.

The parking is horrible. You have to go up a hill and around a corner to get to it. There is an entrance up the hill but we were on the 3rd floor and if you go in that way you have to take the stairs.

The location is pretty good once you figure out the hairpin turn. I did not eat here or use the pool so I cannot comment on that.

However, my daughter left something in our room and about 3 hours after we checked out I called the hotel to tell them and see how I could retrieve it. They put me through to housekeeping where I left a voicemail. That was on a Sunday. I called again on Monday and the same thing. I called Tuesday, same thing. No return calls. I called on Wednesday and asked to speak to the hotel manager and the person answering the phone would not put me through. I explained the situation to her and she told me she would call me right back. She did not return my call.

I have 3 more trips to Cleveland between now and June and was planning on staying at this hotel but after this experience I don't think I will ever go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Linda E
Linda,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I would like to truly apologize for the miscommunication regarding your items since your visit. Please contact me directly so I can personally assist you in getting information about your item and follow up with your concerns with our team. I look forward to an opportunity to assist you with this and hope to welcome you back again.
charlotte
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Trusted priceline's rating system and that was a mistake!!!

Walked In and was greeted nicely by clerk, however that was quickly overlooked by the hotel employee yelling at the top of her lungs that she couldn't wait to get out of here (hotel)

The set up of the hotel is awful. Parking is up the hill and around the corner. Which means that after you park, you have to walk up a flight of stairs, up a long dim hallway to access an elevator.

The decor is outdated and could use a refresh. The rooms just look dingy.

The thing that took this experience to another level is the colony of lady bugs under the curtains and all around the perimeter of the room.

I called the hotel- no answer from front desk

Called priceline and they called front desk and they wouldn't offer a refund or allow us to go somewhere else. But said they would note the lack of service (didn't help me though)

My husband went to talk to the front desk in person where he was told that the lady bugs are coming out due to the warmer weather... That it's normal... But he promptly told him that we live in SC, it's warm there and that most of the year and our home and businesses aren't swarming with ladybugs

I could go on.... But I think you get the point... Stay at your own risk:(

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank michelle1charlotte
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Michelle,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. Let me assure you that we review all of your comments and take opportunities to improve. Please accept my sincere apologies that your visit was not up to the exceptional standard we have for ourselves. Please know that we replaced all of the windows throughout the hotel, which has helped to prevent any pests from entering the rooms, but based on your feedback we are seeking out additional alternatives. We hope to remediate the problem entirely. We have used your feedback about your experiences with our team as a training opportunity. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back.
Parish, NY
Reviewed April 7, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was somewhat afraid to stay here. However, my husband and I were very impressed by our room. The beds were exceptional; very comfortable!! Our room was on the first floor located close to the pool and the fitness center which was a plus for me. I was impressed by the size of the pool and how is located inside but is situated so you can see outside. We felt the breakfast buffet was affordable with a nice selection of food and beverages. We were treated very well by all the staff we interacted with during our stay. We will stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: I would think a room away from the highway would be a better choice.
Green Features: They had paperwork in the rooms on how you could help the environment by choosing how often to change linens, etc.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Murphyavril:
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us.
Joe Isernia
Anamosa, Iowa
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I spent 4 days at this hotel in March. The staff was very good especially on the club floor. The restaurant while OK, needs some help to be on par with the rest of the hotel. The bar is small but has a good staff and a good selection.
The place is set up for business meetings and conventions and several smaller business groups were present during my visit. I was concerned about noise before I checked in because of the hotels proximity to the freeway but it was not an issue.
The desk staff was helpful and efficient as you would expect. The layout of this hotel is unusual. All the parking is in the back far from the front desk so check in before you park.

Room Tip: Do not park before you check in. Parking is far from the front desk.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Tim K:
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. Each survey we receive is reviewed and shared with every associate in an effort to improve the service and accommodations that we provide our guests. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again.
Joe Isernia