“Crowne Plaza- The new motel 6 and Unsanitary”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I'm a new patient at the Cleveland Clinic. I didn't want to stay in busy downtown Cleveland so at the advice of someone at the Clinic, I booked our stay here for the 4 days. I was traveling with my mom and my two year old daughter. This hotel is ranked a 3 1/2 star so i expected it to at least be comparable to a Best Western Plus. Boy was I wrong! If this is a 3 1/2 the Best Western is a 5.

Tired from 6 hours of driving, we arrived in the late evening. The two at the front desk were in deep conversation that i had seemed to interrupt. They rushed through the check in, in order to get back to their conversation. I had expressed that i needed to be close to parking because im unable to walk very far. The young lady just brushed me off in a hurry to get me out of their face. The lobby is okay and was decorated very nice and that's where the niceness begins and ends.

The walk to the room was quite far and included steps down into what looked like a dark vestibule. Once we opened the door to the hallway the hallway was dark and dingy looking. Lighting was poor and carpeting was clearly old and dirty. When we entered the room things did not get any better. There was a very musty smell in the room, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and dust everywhere. The bathroom was borderline what i consider clean. There was what looked like brown makeup on the bathroom door that rubbed onto my hand when i opened the door. The bathroom was also so small that the door clearance was only about 6 inches from the toilet. There was no microwave or fridge which is something that is a must for my drinks and medications. These were items that i was told were available in the rooms at least. Realizing that this was clearly no going to work, i went back to the front desk and asked for a room change. I was given a king disability room because a roomy bathroom was a must. Still no fridge or microwave. The room was not in any better shape. There were dust webs in the corners, mismatched wall paper. The bathroom was less that clean and rather decrepit. The dresser looked like something that was picked up in a thrift store with many scratches and mismatched knobs. At this point i was drained to the point of no return from the drive and my daughter was tired as well. But I still had to go out at an additional expense in order to purchase a cooler from Walmart to store my medications in.

The plumbing in the bathroom was horrible! We had to close the lid whenever we flushed the toilet or risk being sprayed with toilet water. Because I am at a high risk of infection, I travel with industrial strength disinfectant, so my mom spent 15 minutes cleaning the bathroom that was poorly cleaned.

After VERY long days at Cleveland clinic, it was very hard for me to even keep my eyes open at night. One evening we thought we would give the pool at try. Wrong! The pool was freezing cold. The spa was nice and hot but there was something like gravel or rocks at the bottom that i cut my foot on. The kindest person of out entire stay was the pool guy!!! He was kind and very friendly and even took the time the manually check the temperature of the pool with a thermometer for me.

On the last morning our our stay needless to say that i was HORRIFIED when i woke up on the morning and pulled back the sheets all the way looking for my toddlers sock to find dried BLOOD stains in the middle of the bed. Because i had been so tired previously i hadnt noticed it which means that i had been sleeping on dirty sheets for 3 NIGHTS!!! My daughters face had been on those sheets for 3 NIGHTS as well. And it also meant the the sheets were not changed our entire stay. I felt sick to my stomach. I called to the front desk. He sent someone up from housekeeping who when she saw the stains said " so she didn't change the sheets again, please get your baby off of those dirty sheets" She said that she was leaving to inform the housekeeping manager, but no one returned. On check out, the stain issue wasn't even mentioned. I asked to speak to the hotel manager and her response was very nonchalant. "Im so sorry, did you call the from desk?" as if she had no knowledge of the situation. I let her know what happened. She was in such a hurry to get me out of her face that she was not understanding the fact that I SLEPT ON SOMEONE ELSE'S BLOODY SHEETS for 3 nights!!! That my baby slept on the sheets as well. She said that she would refund one night as if that was a consolation for exposing us to someone else's bodily fluids for three nights.

I left feeling overall disgusted, very disappointed and borderline angry! I left a phone call for the concierge services at Cleveland Clinic so I can talk to who ever makes the decisions on the hotels that they recommend because this hotel is clearly a health hazard especially for patients who may already health compromised.

And to make matters worse, imagine my surprise when i got home only to find out that I was never credited for the room as promised.

This hotel was one mistake that I will NEVER make again and I am going do my best to inform the necessary parties so that this doesn't happen to someone else!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank jaiere2001
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Jaiere,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience during your stay with us. We take hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously. In the unusual event we are made aware of a concern; we respond immediately to the situation and take the appropriate steps to remediate the problem. I regret that your experience did not reflect this. Please know that based on your feedback the staff involved will undergo training. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Please know that there was a refund processed through your booking site, which should have arrived to your account already. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

Please contact me directly in the event that there are any aspects of your stay you would like to follow up on. I hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back to provide the exceptional experience you deserve.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights in the past month. Although the room is pretty clean there is a lot of guests with very loud children who let them run through the halls all hours of the night. I thought it might be a fluke the first time we stayed but the same thing happened this past weekend.

The parking is horrible. You have to go up a hill and around a corner to get to it. There is an entrance up the hill but we were on the 3rd floor and if you go in that way you have to take the stairs.

The location is pretty good once you figure out the hairpin turn. I did not eat here or use the pool so I cannot comment on that.

However, my daughter left something in our room and about 3 hours after we checked out I called the hotel to tell them and see how I could retrieve it. They put me through to housekeeping where I left a voicemail. That was on a Sunday. I called again on Monday and the same thing. I called Tuesday, same thing. No return calls. I called on Wednesday and asked to speak to the hotel manager and the person answering the phone would not put me through. I explained the situation to her and she told me she would call me right back. She did not return my call.

I have 3 more trips to Cleveland between now and June and was planning on staying at this hotel but after this experience I don't think I will ever go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Linda E

Linda,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I would like to truly apologize for the miscommunication regarding your items since your visit. Please contact me directly so I can personally assist you in getting information about your item and follow up with your concerns with our team. I look forward to an opportunity to assist you with this and hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Trusted priceline's rating system and that was a mistake!!!

Walked In and was greeted nicely by clerk, however that was quickly overlooked by the hotel employee yelling at the top of her lungs that she couldn't wait to get out of here (hotel)

The set up of the hotel is awful. Parking is up the hill and around the corner. Which means that after you park, you have to walk up a flight of stairs, up a long dim hallway to access an elevator.

The decor is outdated and could use a refresh. The rooms just look dingy.

The thing that took this experience to another level is the colony of lady bugs under the curtains and all around the perimeter of the room.

I called the hotel- no answer from front desk

Called priceline and they called front desk and they wouldn't offer a refund or allow us to go somewhere else. But said they would note the lack of service (didn't help me though)

My husband went to talk to the front desk in person where he was told that the lady bugs are coming out due to the warmer weather... That it's normal... But he promptly told him that we live in SC, it's warm there and that most of the year and our home and businesses aren't swarming with ladybugs

I could go on.... But I think you get the point... Stay at your own risk:(

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank michelle1charlotte
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Michelle,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. Let me assure you that we review all of your comments and take opportunities to improve. Please accept my sincere apologies that your visit was not up to the exceptional standard we have for ourselves. Please know that we replaced all of the windows throughout the hotel, which has helped to prevent any pests from entering the rooms, but based on your feedback we are seeking out additional alternatives. We hope to remediate the problem entirely. We have used your feedback about your experiences with our team as a training opportunity. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was somewhat afraid to stay here. However, my husband and I were very impressed by our room. The beds were exceptional; very comfortable!! Our room was on the first floor located close to the pool and the fitness center which was a plus for me. I was impressed by the size of the pool and how is located inside but is situated so you can see outside. We felt the breakfast buffet was affordable with a nice selection of food and beverages. We were treated very well by all the staff we interacted with during our stay. We will stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: I would think a room away from the highway would be a better choice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Murphyavril:
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us.
Joe Isernia

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I spent 4 days at this hotel in March. The staff was very good especially on the club floor. The restaurant while OK, needs some help to be on par with the rest of the hotel. The bar is small but has a good staff and a good selection.
The place is set up for business meetings and conventions and several smaller business groups were present during my visit. I was concerned about noise before I checked in because of the hotels proximity to the freeway but it was not an issue.
The desk staff was helpful and efficient as you would expect. The layout of this hotel is unusual. All the parking is in the back far from the front desk so check in before you park.

Room Tip: Do not park before you check in. Parking is far from the front desk.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Tim K:
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. Each survey we receive is reviewed and shared with every associate in an effort to improve the service and accommodations that we provide our guests. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again.
Joe Isernia

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I spent 6 nights in the hotel on business and it is by far the worst Crowne Plaza I have ever stayed in. The parking was very bad. The front desk staff were not pleasant. There was some type of event going on and the hotel was filled with teenage boys that ran the halls yelling and screaming most of the night. Calls to the front desk about this did nothing. At one point the boys were playing street hockey in the hallway. I am a Platinum rewards member and this hotel does not meet the quality and standards I am used to. The only helpful and pleasant people I encountered the entire week was the restaurant staff

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank James R
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

James,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. Your feedback helps us to continue improving the service that we provide. Thank you for your kind words about the Aura service team. I am deeply regretful that the remainder of your stay was not equally as pleasant. Please know that we will use your feedback as a training tool with our reception team to ensure that they regain the high level of service that we are so proud of providing. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Another case where looks can be deceiving. The hotel is not in horrible shape, the rooms are large, and the staff is very friendly. However, when I got to my room, I found the toilet was clogged up. I called the front desk and told them. After 20 minutes I call the front desk again to find out where someone was to fix the toilet. I was told that the maintenance person was busy closing down the pool and I have to wait for him to finish doing that before he could come up and fix the toilet problem. When he showed up, I asked him why cleaning the pool was a bigger priority than a guest to couldn't uses toilet and he wouldn't even talk to me. He unclog the toilet, although it smells like feces in this room now, and told me he would send the manager up. Still waiting for the manager 20 minutes later. If I had the ability and the room wasn't prepaid I would check out and go anywhere. I also posted a picture of one of the many ladybugs crawling all over my bathroom. To sum it all up, this place is not clean, the staff doesn't seem to care about hygiene, and I'm frankly very nervous about sleeping here tonight.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank MarkECubFan
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Mark,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased that our General Manager had a chance to speak with you during your visit and address the items you detail here. As he communicated with you, we will speak with our team to ensure that they are responding to these situations in the rapid fashion that we expect. It was a pleasure having a chance to speak with you myself after your departure to ensure that we were able to ensure your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back during your upcoming trips to the Cleveland area so we can provide you with the exceptional experience you deserve. Please reach out to me directly if I may be of assistance with any future reservations, or if I can assist you in updating your review to reflect the full extent of your experience with us.