“Just average stay!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Well...we booked our stay at this hotel because they said they had a jacuzzi. Well, let's just say, they had one but it wasn't great. First, it wasn't hot enough and the jets were not powerful at all. I was, to say the least, disappointing. The pool was extremely cold too. The room seemed clean but the softness of each bed (we had 2 double beds) and one was soft and one was rock hard. The bathroom door didn't open enough for you to sit on the toilet without having to sit sideways (yes, I don't close the door when I pee but I had to here). The front desk staff was very pleasant. We had a small problem and had to speak with the female manager and she was rude and hung up on us. She told us she couldn't resolve our problem for a week when the front desk associate said it would be handled in the next day or two given the holiday. I'm not sure I'd recommend this place if you're looking for a nice relaxing stay. How can you have a jacuzzi that you can't adjust the heat and jets? It was just like sitting in a bathtub only I can get my bath water hotter at home.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the pool!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Jodie,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is an invaluable tool for us to continue improving. Please accept my apologies that your stay did not reflect the high standards that we have for ourselves. We will check on the temperatures of the pool and hot tub manually as we do keep them at a set limit automatically to ensure safety and comfort. We have taken note of your comments about the guest room and will take opportunities to make changes during future refreshes. I would appreciate some additional information about the encounter you had with our reception team so we can use it as a training opportunity. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Had to travel to Cleveland for three days.
Scored this hotel on a third party site and wish that I had went directly through my rewards program for another brand hotel.
Crowne Plaza's are extremely hit or miss (some are glorious, some are dives) and this was a very bad miss.

Checked in to a guy who seemed like he was playing a game of how fast he could get me out of his face, no welcome, no small talk, no hints or tips about the property. I was checked in in probably 45 seconds and he was back to his conversation with the other desk person.
Whatever.

Get to the elevators and notice the room number signs- this was clearly a Sheraton in its former life.

Get inside the room, nothing special. Looked closer- the coffee pot is broken so no complimentary coffee in the morning. The two trash cans are positively FILTHY. Bathroom counter, filthy. Shower - streaky and with hair in it. The four glasses in the room, filthy. [---]!
The only thing that was a positive was the bed was reasonably comfortable.

During the day the maids are loud screaming up and down the hall, listening to ghetto music.
The food and cocktails from room service, positively terrible.

The people who are rating this hotel highly have obviously never been anywhere in their lives.
This hotel is quite frankly dated and disgusting. IHG needs to clean house and renovate this hotel or they need to turn it over to Ramada or whatever budget brand wants to deal with it.
I would NEVER stay here again (especially considering the other nice and reasonably priced options) I would NEVER use a third party bidding site in this area again for fear of landing here and I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

If you're traveling for business or passing through and just need a place to sleep, fine. But if you are traveling for leisure and expect some niceties for $100+ a night pass on this one.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank AnonysaurusRex

Anonysaurus Rex,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that our hotel did not meet your expectations, your experience does not reflect the typical experience. Please know that we will be using your comments as an opportunity to improve the quality and service that we provide. I regret that your experience was not to the high standards that we expect and I certainly hope that you consider joining us again. Please reach out to me directly so I may follow up with your concerns.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

L had business nearby very early on a Monday, so we went in Sunday evening. Went to the Great Lakes science center (see review) drove around and then checked into the hotel around 3. warmly greeted and impressed with the overall look of the place. needed a razor to shave, no problem they have complimentary ones.

we will stay there agin if back in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

NLTravels,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay. As you know from leaving many reviews, your feedback is very helpful to your fellow travelers. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the Great Lakes Science Center. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and hotel. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our stay while we visited family and friends. Being located right off the freeway was plus. The property was wonderful as well as the staff! We will stay again this year! Thank you!!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Bex1111
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Bex,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was in town for business and the Independence/Rockside area is fairly convenient to the University Circle area.

The Crowne Plaza had wonderfully friendly helpful staff in the Club Level lounge during evening happy hour and in the bar. The bartender had an excellent knowledge of scotch!

My room was comfortable and clean. Check-in and check-out were easy and fast. I would gladly stay at this hotel in the future when in the Cleveland area.

Room Tip: The club level perks are well worth it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Vacation Fun,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and Trip Advisor! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My family was traveling through Cleveland while all hotels near downtown were expensive. Then I found this one, which offered spacious room, comfortable bed with affordable rate. The only pity was no complimentary breakfast was provided :(

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Omittee,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. I am pleased that the price and location of the hotel was perfect for you and that you found the rooms to be comfortable and spacious. Please know that our team in Aura strives to provide the highest quality and service for breakfast; the cost allows us to source the freshest products available. When you join us again please know that there are rates inclusive of breakfast. I certainly hope that you have a chance to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed twice in a short period visiting a patient at the Cleveland Clinic main campus. It was less than a 20 minute drive and puts you in a much better location for meals, etc. I got a great rate through the CC web site, much less than the hotels on location. (there is a CC branch just across the street as well.)

The king-bed room was very large and comfortable. The second visit got me upgraded to the concierge level, however since it was on a weekend, there were no extra services or access to the lounge.

Breakfast on the first morning in the restaurant was dismal. Much better to either go out (plenty to choose from nearby) or pick up something the night before to enjoy with coffee in the room.

Room Tip: Under no circumstances accept a room on the first floor. I parked near the back entrance as advised...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Marguerite and Jim,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed your room, with all of its distinctive amenities. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. We will use your comments as a training opportunity for our culinary team to ensure that breakfast is to the standard that we expect. I hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again.