“Honeymoon Night”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Honeymoon Night”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I book this hotel through priceline for our Honeymoon night since we were not leaving for our Honeymoon until the next day. The hotel itself was spacious and the rooms were well appointed. The front desk person gave me a half off voucher for breakfast in the morning when then foundout it was our wedding night. The bed was very comfortable and we had no complaints about our brief stay. Breakfast was very good and the pools looked large (we did not have time to take a dip). Very nice location and we would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew P
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Dear Andrew P:
On behalf of our entire staff thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you describe you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and Trip Advisor! And CONGRATS on your recent nuptials!!
Joe Isernia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The Crowne Plaza is a great place to stay for business and one of my go-to hotels when working on clients in the Cleveland area. Cathy in Sales is especially helpful!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Christopher T:
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I do not usually write reviews but recently stayed at The Crowne Plaza Cleveland South- hotel and was blown away. I travel often so I truly appreciate Cathy Ruhling in the Sales Department and how accommodating she was to my group. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The front desk staff was so efficient and remembered by name throughout my entire stay. We will definitely be back!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kaitlan6587:
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great hotel to stay in when in the Independence, OH area - friendly staff, great location, close to downtown - Vistor at the front desk is always helpful - if you are a frequent visitor like me, he remembers you, which I think is really nice - have stayed at other hotels frequently, been waited on by the same staff, and not gotten this kind of treatment - it's my home away from home

Room Tip: Recomment odd number room which is on the back side away from the main road traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear ladymags_1:
Thank you very much for sharing with all of us about your wonderful time at our hotel.We strive to provide the best possible service and experiences day in and day out; it’s always great to hear from our guest on how we’re doing. We try to make everyone’s stay a “Home away from Home” provide the best comfort, the friendliest service and the best of amenities.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My family and I have worked with the Crowne Plaza and their staff several times -- for a wedding reception, fundraiser, a bridal shower, and we plan on going with them again for a baby shower. We obviously love them and have had great experiences each and every time. They have always been utterly professional and extremely well-organized; they really think of everything and take all of the guess-work out of the planning process! Joe, Michelle, and Suzanne are fantastic to work with, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking to book an event!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Meghan S:
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was very surprised when I arrived at this Crowne Plaza Hotel. Upon checking in I was given my room key from a very friendly person working behind the desk. Since I am a platinum member I asked what amenities are given to priority club members. I was told none. I was a little surprised by this as I stay at this chain a few weeks a month and always get some type of perk (even if its just a bottle of water). No biggie I thought.

I went into my room and I was surprised by the uncleanliness of the room. There were hairs ALL over the bed. I stay in a lot of hotels and usually there are a few hairs (again- no biggie). However, there was a lot of hair on the bed, in the sink, in the tub, etc. I figured it was only one night so I would just take a hot shower and suck it up. I tried to turn the shower on and the whole handle pulled away from the wall and fell off. The water was on and filling the tub very quickly. I couldn't get the handle back on and was afraid the tub was going to overflow. I immediately called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. I continued to try and shut the water off and was able to get it to stop before overflowing. Maintenance then arrived and shot me a look as if I had made it up (even though the water handle was still unattached). I proceeded to the front desk and was given another room. I did mention that the room was not very clean. The nice girl at the front desk gave me another room and told me to call to let her know if the next room was OK. I entered the room and found the same hair situation and another faucet that had been glued to the wall. This one did not fall off when turned on so I figured once again that I would suck it up. As I started to get ready I found that the trash was not emptied from a previous guest and there were a few items of trash on the desk and bathroom sink. I was now running late and didn't want to change rooms again so I stayed.

Later that night I stopped into the hotel lounge for a drink. This is where things started to look up. The staff was extremely friendly and made it very comfortable for a person traveling alone. The service was prompt, the prices were good, and I stayed longer than I expected. I did happen to come across a nice manager at the hotel and mentioned a few items to her. She said I should have tried to change rooms again and notified them of the issues with the second room. I tried to explain to her that the issues were too numerous to be rectified by changing rooms and that they should really look into improving their housekeeping and maintenance. She politely told me she would pass on my comments. She was very professional.

Finally, I went to my room to get a good night's sleep. When I went to dead bolt the door I realized it wouldn't lock. Upon looking at the installation it appeared that the bolt was not lined up with the plate that screws into the door frame. I called the front desk as I need to make sure my door locks (because its just not safe to not lock your door and just seconds ago I saw a pizza guy delivering pizza directly across the hall- somewhat surprised that they let him go up unattended- but this policy varies from hotel to hotel). The front desk said there was no maintenance on duty but that they would send up the security guard. The guard was nice and polite. I explained that the plate screwed into the door frame needed to be removed. He went to find a screw driver. During this time I pried the plate off and removed the screws with my fingernails. When he came back up I said I was all set and was able to lock the door after my modifications.

It is a shame that this hotel is falling apart as the staff is nice and it has some upsides. Something does seriously need to be done about the housekeeping, maintenance, and security.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Coleen60
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear Coleen60:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay with us. We truly value your input and very much rely on you our guest to help us improve our hotel operation. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest that stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.If possible could you pleas contact me at the hotel, so I can have a chance to follow up with your concerns.
Joe Isernia General Manager
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza over Memorial Day Weekend in Independence.

It was a nice place to stay. The standout for this trip was the staff. We had good experience with the staff checking us in, at the pool, at the gym, and checking out. Even with a crazy early check in the folks were nice.

The room was ok. I loved the leather chairs and the layout of the room. It was comfortable and when we had friends over it worked well. I felt the room was fairly clean compared to other places I've stayed. The bed was well worn and it was noticeable. My primary concerns were that it was saggy and that the sheets didn't fully cover the mattress. That said I still slept pretty well.

My other half complained of noise as folks entered and left the building over the evening. The doors are steel (which IMO is good) but they do conduct a lot of noise.

I would definitely stay at the Crowne Plaza in Independence again. It was nice enough and a decent value.

It would be nice if there was a fridge in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms near the end of the building are convenient but can be noisy if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoCaps_2011
CrowneManagement, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Go Caps2011:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay with us. We truly value your input and very much rely on you our guest to help us improve our hotel operation. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.
Joe Isernia General Manager