“Absolutely loved this hotel!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersSilver level
cleveland, oh
“Absolutely loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I really liked this hotel when I stayed there. It had lots of beautiful pictures on the walls! I loved to spend some of my time looking at them while I was there. The rooms were very clean and had a GREAT smell to them. One of the best smelling hotels I have ever been to. Don't know what kind of cleaning products they used but my nostrils sure did like it! My bed was so cozy, I could have snoozed for hours. Also, the staff was very kind and helpful! I'd love to go back to this hotel just to hang out with some of them! Overall, a very nice place to stay, I don't have any complaints and would recommend to any soul I know!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

This hotel was fabulous! The wonderful staff was there at my service. I needed more towels and lotion, and they came right away to satisfy my needs. Besides the awesome service, the hotel is gorgeous! Very clean. A+++++ for housekeeping. I can't wait to come back in the summer to enjoy a day at the pool! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on business and had a terrific experience. I spend 46 weeks a year on the road and as a result, am quite critical of hotels. I found the Crowne Plaza to have friendly, helpful employees, delicious food and great rooms (mine had a view of the Cleveland skyline). The hotel looks like it was recently renovated and I found it to be shiny and clean. Tip: try the Carrot Cake, it’s delicious and the slice is ridiculously big!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed here because I attended a seminar on site. While I'm usually used to higher-class hotels, I can handle one at this level, no big deal. As long as I have a decent bed and food I'm fine. Checkin was nice with friendly and helpful staff. And I have to say overall the staff was very nice. And I appreciated the free internet in some cases. The restaurant food and room service was surprisingly good for a hotel this level.

My biggest gross-out was how on the surface things looked OK but when you looked closer they were not. A few examples:
* turned on shower the night I checked in and perhaps it hadn't been used in a while (?) but water was brown and all kinds of junk came out of the tub spigot. It disappeared after a few minutes but I'd never seen that in any hotel, even lower end ones.
* while attending the seminar downstairs, I took a Diet Coke and a glass from the stack of "clean" glasses next to it. I went inside, sat down, and poured my soda and began to sip it, until I felt weird things against my lip. I looked closely at my glass and there was caked-on juice pulp (or god knows what else) all around the glass lip. This glass had barely been cleaned and put back out for others to use!
* The fitness center was OK, at least modern equipment but the elliptical made noises like something was dying inside it. But here's the ultimate gross-out -- see photo. I went to get water from the provided water cooler and there was MOLD, clear as day, inside the bottle!!!!
Those were the sanitary issues. For sleeping, thin walls, you could hear what your neighbor was watching on TV or when they were taking a pee. Also my room was #309 but the two phones in my room had different room numbers on them, not even from the same floor. Not good in case of emergency for your guest to be confused about what room she is in! And just shows no one is minding these details.

This place would be fine if you needed a quick crash pad for a night but I could not recommend it. And watch what you touch or put into your mouth!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
acongin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for the time invested to provide feedback to the readers of Trip Advisor as well as our hotel. Your experience as described is as unacceptable to us as it was to you. The entire team at the Crowne Plaza Cleveland South takes tremendous pride in providing exceptional guest service within our well run and clean hotel. The numerous pages of positive glowing reviews on the Trip Advisor site are a testament to this fact. We are pleased to inform all our readers of Trip Advisor that our hotel is in the midst of a multi-million dollar capital expenditure, enhancing every area the guest experiences. These improvements began more than a year ago and will continue into 2012. The water experienced in the tub was rust tinted due to your particular guestroom not being rented for an extended period of time (1st quarter is the slow season for most hotels). We sincerely apologize for omitting the process of cleaning the water lines prior to your arrival. In all applications, whether it is residential, office towers, hotel or commercial facilities, water is delivered through a metal pipe. When the water in the system has gone an extended period without circulation, discoloration will appear; a cosmetic although admittedly far less than desirable appearance. The Crowne Plaza brand was recently - for the second year in a row by the readers of Business Travel News Magazine - rated the #1 upscale hotel brand. The Crowne Plaza brand includes hundreds of locations around the globe; we're proud to state our hotel is rated (by its guests via survey results submitted to our parent - IHG) as one of the 35 best hotels in the entire chain. This point of pride for us is achieved through providing excellent service and facilities to our guests of our hotel. Once again we thank you for your feedback and helping us to move even higher in total guest satisfaction.
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We booked two hotel rooms at this hotel in November for an overnight stay at least 1 month in advance (can't specifically remember when). Upon arriving to check in, the lady at the front desk stated that the hotel was full despite our reservation and that the Holiday Inn down the road would accommodate our reservation. The lady at the front desk as well as the manager were not friendly or apologetic about this switch. The manager told us that it was common procedure for the hotel to overbook and they send the overbooked customers to Holiday Inn. There was a reason we originally booked here and not at the holiday inn. Upon arriving at the Holiday Inn, the parking lot was full. We could not even find one spot to park in. Their staff was not very welcoming and could care less if we stayed. The lounge "bar" was packed with non-hotel guests due to like an 80's party or some sort. You couldn't even walk in if we wanted to. Ended up going to a different bar down the road for better entertainment. I would not attempt to book again at this hotel (and I would consider not using Crowne Plaza in general) due to the lack of customer service that we experienced and knowing that they overbook their hotel frequently. I don't want to be concerned about not having a room to stay in.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank jkt94
acongin, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland South - Independence, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Thank you for the feedback shared with our hotel and the readers of Trip Advisor! We do regret the unpleasant experience you had at our competitor - the Holiday Inn Cleveland Independence. It is understood that you selected the Crowne Plaza due to its known quality of service and facilities; and apologize that due to our hotel being sold out on your arrival evening we could not accommodate your reservation. The entire team of the Crowne Plaza Cleveland South takes tremendous pride in providing exceptional guest service within a well run, first tier hotel. The numerous pages of glowing reviews on the Trip Advisor site are a testament to this fact. We invite you to come back and try us again. Our hotel is in the midst of a multi-million dollar capital expenditure enhancing every area of the guest experience. The Crowne Plaza brand was recently - for the second year in a row by the readers of Business Travel News magazine, rated the #1 upscale hotel chain. With Crowne Plaza's hundreds of locations around the globe; we're proud to state out hotel is rated among the best of Crowne Plaza's (by its guests via survey results submitted to our parent - IHG). This point of pride for us is achieved through providing excellent service and facilities to our guests again and again - as reported by past guests of the hotel on Trip Advisor. Once again we thank you for your feedback and helping us to move even higher in total guest satisfaction.
Allison Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

Well, this is my second time staying here, and it was for another ice hockey tournament.

First, the tournament people kept changing our game times, so we were not sure of the days/nights we would be staying; they were 110% flexible with us, and everything went smoothly with our rooms.

Second, the general manager (Scott) made a promise to me after my last visit, and he went above and beyond what I expect. Anyway, enough about me.

Our Room: Extremely clean--excellent high quality television--no issues at all. And for those who may worry--there are NO BEDBUGS at this hotel---again, NO BEDBUGS here. The place was recently renovated, and it appears everything is very, very new.

Pool: The kids loved the pool--a bit crowded--but that is because many hockey teams were staying here as well.

Breakfast Buffet: Wow! I could not believe it was complimentary with the stay; the food was incredible--bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, bagels, toast--juice, coffee, etc. All high quality.

If you are staying in this area, book your room here. I am very picky--hard to please--and this place was stellar.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Spring Hill, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

What a pleasant surprise. We checked in at the CP Independence late evening on December 25th. It has been my experience that Children run hotels on weekends and holidays. Not so with this property. Bellmen and front desk staff were friendly, professional, and very knowledgeable about the hotel and its amenities. Hot chocolate at check in was a very nice touch. Wind chill was in the teens.
Food and beverage, housekeeping and front desk service and staff were great
Over all our stay was excellent for the 3 nights.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple