“Great value, can be had for cheap on Priceline.”

Hyatt Place Cleveland/Independence
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Great value, can be had for cheap on Priceline.”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I was in the Cleveland area for a conference in July 2010. Rooms in the downtown area were $100+ per night. I picked this room up for $38 per night on Priceline for 3 nights. Fantastic value. This is a 3 star room, and it is rated about right, nothing more or less.

The check-in was fine, no problems at all. We were assigned a room with two double beds, and a 42 inch LG plasma television. There are plenty of outlets, and plugs for your laptop or ipod. Very impressive. There is a couch that gives the room a bit of a suite feel. Everything is very clean. Internet access was FINE, even though we had very low signal I was getting 600k-900k down on average, and over 1mbps UP.. Internet access is free, and this is a great reason to stay here. Parking is also free.

There is a free continental breakfast which is exactly that, continental. Cold and hot cereal, fruit, and yogurt. You can order eggs or hot dishes, I didn't bother with that.

The area of the hotel is pretty good, right near a couple nice suburbs, and in the middle of some good restaurants and a mall. This area is MUCH nicer than staying near downtown cleveland.

My only gripe would be that only 1 elevator was working, we decided to hike up the stairs instead of waiting like 10 ways to take the elevator.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank JustinH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
PA
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt for a family reunion in the Cleveland area. The Hyatt was chosen because of price. The hotel from the outside is clean and attractive. It is in what appears to be a relatively new area. It is adjacent to other hotels, notably Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn.

The lobby is bright and clean. Check-in relatively painless. The lobby doubles as the dining area for breakfast. There is a bar there; I think they serve alcohol, though I wasn't there for that. Breakfast is complimentary continental, though you can buy other plates of food for what I thought was an unreasonable price. For example, a bacon and egg breakfast would run you several dollars. A medium sized blueberry muffin was $2.50. Medium Hot cocoa was $2.12.

One of the two elevators was busted and the other was painfully slow. You could expect to wait 5 minutes for an elevator ride; I usually took the stairs.

The gym was clean. One eliptical. A couple of treadmills and bike machines. 1 nautilus work-out machine. Complimentary earplugs for the TVs that were in the machines (good). The pool was indoors and the room was very warm and humid. I had to go back to the lobby to ask for towels. Somebody left their gum on the table ---yuck! The pool water was nice and warm.

The room on entry was spacious and clean. Large flat screen TV, but the remote was missing the backing. Two double beds and a rollout couch --- plenty of sleeping space for everyone. The airconditioner was internal unit next to the window and was loud. The noise from the a/c at least helped to drown out the noise from all the party people below us and in the parking lot. We did not sleep well because of all the noise and my wife moved to the rollout couch just to get away from the window.

When we got back at the end of our day (which was our 2nd night at the hotel) the room was still not made. I called the front desk, but he said that the maid was gone for the day. He would only compensate us with $15 off the bill. He did bring up some more towels and soap (which took a while because there was only one elevator), but in hindsight I should have insisted that he either move us to another room or to the Marriott across the parking lot. This was the last straw for me and has soured me to Hyatt.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Pilot_Sluggo
Georgian Bay
Reviewed May 21, 2010

An excellent motel that is just of the highway. It obvioiusly must be more of a Monday to Friday business traveller motel judging by the location.

Check-in was quick and easy with no real need for the 'check-in kiosk" at the front door.

The room was nice and big with 2 Queens and couch sitting area. A great work station. A nice large screen tv and a fridge. Would be nice to have a microwave in the room though.

The area was very quiet and no real disturbance from outside or inside the motel through the night.

The continental breakfast was good but must agree some other people that the setup is rather odd. I think they are trying to give it a "home away from home" appeal but opening and closing cupboards to get dishes etc I just found to be a pain. The seleciton of food items is pretty standard to other continentals.

Only complaint I had was that the silverware had some 'stuck on' food from the dishwasher and when I mentioned it to the manager he was very quick to jump out of his chair to correct the problem immediately.

I would stay at this motel again without question.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Sybock
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Spent 2 nights at this Hyatt Place, which was also my first visit to this brand. I like the concept. Spacious and useful rooms, from the corner couch to the desk with the electronic plugins to a small sink/bar, to a comfortable bed. I also liked the meal service options, with a kitchen that serves meals throughout the day for a small fee. A continental breakfast is free. You can order hot dishes for $6-7. A hamburger for dinner was $8-9, I recall. Good food.

The only issue I had with this hotel was the unusable LOW-speed wireless internet, which ran about 150kbps (very slow). The hotel manager told me they are buying all-new gear and will have a much faster internet service in place by the end of March.

Hotel is conveniently located in a business park, near other business hotels and close to freeways and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tvchip
Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed February 6, 2010

At first glance this looked like any other Hyatt. Decent sized rooms and a nice lobby. Unfortunately by the next morning we realised just how bad this Hyatt was. When we checked in it was clear the bedding had not been washed. The bed was made, but never cleaned. I know hotels are trying to save the planet by not washing towels and sheets any more than they have to so I decided to let it slide. I mean there was nothing really gross in the bed, just a few 'hairs' that did not belong there.

We were in a rush to get out for the night so we went out. We got back to the room about 1:00 am. While washing up to go to bed I noticed small bugs crawling over the bathroom floor. I wish I had thought more of it but I was tired and wanted to sleep. The next morning we woke up and felt a bit itchy. We thought maybe it was just because of the dry air in Winter. We started to drive home and became more and more itchy. It was clear when we got home that we were covered in flea bites.

We ended up throwing our luggage out and doing a bunch of laundry to make sure the fleas did not travel home with us.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FollowTheMusic
Chicagoland
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Stayed here in Dec. 09 when visiting Cleveland Clinic for some tests. Room was very spacious, quiet, clean and very warm on a very frigid Dec. night.Cont. Breakfast was typical.
Stayed her with my wife and two boys and will definately stay again when visiting Cleveland Clinic.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
South Carolina
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This Hyatt is a clean well-maintained hotel. The room was big with many amenities: a large comfy couch, big screen tv, desk, wetbar, fridge and a nice size vanity with a granite top. It was quiet. But there were flaws that bothered me. For one my sheets did not appear to be clean, and to me that is essential. After calling the front desk, they were promptly changed, but ICK. Also the bed had a feather duvet which would have been great IF it had a cover. A feather duvet can not be washed, which is why they should be covered with a washable cover. Also, the towel in the bathroom was stained, and it was because the towel rack was rusted.
I hated the way the breakfast area was designed. Very basic breakfast foods were provided like toast, bagels and fruit, but anything hot cost extra. That whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. But I can see how that might be a plus to another traveler.
I attempted to use the free internet, but it was so slow it was almost impossible to do anything but check the weather.
I got a cold feeling from the lobby. That all being said, it was a great value at 82$ a night. The location is very convenient to the airport and west side of Cleveland.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo