“Relaxing hotel in Independence!”

Hyatt Place Cleveland/Independence
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Independence
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I got a great rate on this hotel through Hotwire and I was really impressed. The rooms are large. It's not quite a suite--it's one large room separated with a partial wall. The living room portion is very nice and the bed is very comfortable. I was in an unfortunate room, though: the one right by the walkway to the pool, so there kids disturbing me at just the time that I needed some quiet, but the benefits of the room outweigh that.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KLGA

Reviewed January 10, 2008

My husband and I traveled to Cleveland in November and were really happy to find some good deals at this hotel for our two night stay. It was not as pricey as the downtown Cleveland hotels and had lots of amenities. Although we worried about the distance from downtown, it ended up only taking about 10-15 minutes to get to and from everywhere downtown we wanted to go. So, the location was an absolute plus since we were there on leisure, to see the sights.

The room was decorated very nicely and was very modern. I appreciated a nice throw on the couch that was sealed for sanitary reasons, it was a great touch to the room. The couch was very nice and big and unexpected. The room was very clean and toiletries were top notch. My husband had a hard time saying 'bye' to the huge plasma TV. It could face either the bed or the couch, that had a divider in between. Hyatt beds are always a very high quality and very comfortable.

There was one thing that I couldn't put my finger on, but I finally realized that the hotel does feel very "refurbished". The room (although very modernly decorated and clean) felt like it was musty and old. The paint was fresh and carpets were new, but it still had that "old" feeling. The same also goes for the pool, it seemed very nice but "old" and in need of an upgrade! The tiles were obviously quite used.

One of the highlights of this hotel is the lobby, staff and continental breakfast. The staff work as supervisors to the entire area and can move freely from front desk, to bar, to breakfast area. They assist in every way possible. Check-in was very easy. There was internet access (and 2 desktop computers available for use) and free of charge. The continental breakfast was extensive for most free ones I have seen at hotels in the past. There is also a computer station where you can place your order for espresso (Starbucks) drinks and hot meal items, using your room key for charging. This was very convenient.

All in all, we would stay at this hotel again any time that we visit Cleveland and I would recommend it as a great place for the business or budget concious traveler.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MelissaTA
Reviewed December 29, 2007

How hotels should be- great room with separation for parents and kids. Nice contemporary decor.

This is our go-to hotel from now on....

• Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed December 21, 2007

Only stayed for one night while visiting Cleveland. Excellent beds, very quiet rooms, wonderful food and service if you eat in. The rooms are very well appointed. No complaints at all. Wish we stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2007

My wife and I stayed at this Hyatt Place in mid-October and had a very pleasant experience. The property was about 15 minutes from downtown Cleveland, and the room rate was a fraction of the price of many downtown hotels we considered.

Hyatt took over AmeriSuites in 2006 and is in the process of converting them to Hyatt Place hotels, which may be the reason some observe that they're a mix of old and new.

The guest rooms at this particular Hyatt Place had new furnishings with a contemporary feel, a huge LG plasma TV, and nice, new linens on the bed, though the hotel did not offer bathrobes in the rooms. There’s a modest lobby bar (five wines and seven beers), free Internet access in the lobby, and a complimentary continental breakfast; cooked items were also available at a modest additional cost.

Staff was friendly and accommodating. They were very good about giving us a quick tour of the lobby and telling us about the amenities, and later about moving us to a new room when we discovered that the heat was not working in the first room we were given.

There were a few small drawbacks. The weekend we stayed was the weekend of a Cleveland Browns home game, and the hotel was full of game-bound fans. The drawback was that the hotel didn't staff up for it and, as a result, service at the bar on Saturday night and at breakfast on Sunday were a bit slow. Not horrible, but slower than they should have been.

Second, the older heater/air conditioners are noisy and should be replaced as part of the rehab. Fortunately, the weather was mild and we were able to turn it off once we warmed the room a bit. Obviously, that won't be possible in the dead of winter or the heat of the summer.

The third drawback was the most egregious and the most easily corrected: the fan vents in the bathrooms of both rooms were caked with dust. This is something room service could (and should) have easily addressed.

All in all, though, the staff was fine, the hotel pleasant and reasonably priced. We’d stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheTravelPro_us
Reviewed October 3, 2007

My husband and I traveled to Cleveland for a 2 day work-related trip. We booked the Hyatt Place online for about 1/3 the listed cost. The hotel seems very new in some regards and not so new in others. For example, the decor and structure is very modern-- there are granite counters and LCD tvs in the lobby and it has several small cubbys and small seating areas. This is used primarily for their free breakfast. We only had coffee (good starbucks coffee!) but they had many good selections such as fruit, yogurt, bagels, cereal, etc. The lobby and room really smelled strongly of something chemical-like. If I had to describe it I'd say it was "new carpet" and "paint" smell. It just seemed so new and plastic-y.

The room was on the second floor and again seemed very modern with a sleek couch and flatscreen tv. It almost seemed industrial or "dorm room-ish" though, although I couldn't put my finger on why, I think it is because of the bare walls and popcorn ceiling (old part). The bathroom was clean but had a mildew smell. The shower curtain had that "pinkish" tinge where it needed changing. We were in a handicapped accessible room thus there was a chair in the shower which also seemed a bit mildewish.

The staff was very luke warm and seemed not overally interested. They weren't mean or nasty; just indifferent (obviously it is a job to them, not a career)....for example I was struggling with a door b/c my hands were full and a worker walked right by without helping. Later a maintenance person (with Hotel logo on shirt) got in and off elevator before I did (I thought it would have been polite to let the guest go first).

Overall, decent, clean and newish. I would stay there again if I was in there area.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank seg189
Reviewed September 16, 2007

we stayed at the hyatt place for the first time for a wedding in cleveland. rooms were nice, modern and the 42 inch plasma...wow! they served a continental breakfast which was nice

i would rate this excellent but our room was never serviced even after i spoke to the front desk staff.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple