“Probablly was great at one time”

Sawmill Creek Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Mentor, Ohio
“Probablly was great at one time”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

The resort probablly was great once apon a time. It was generally clean, but cob webs and lights out in my room and my friends bridal suiet. I didnt find the staff overly egar to help. I was requestion a shuttle for the brides grand parents one evening and could not get in touch with anyone who worked there. So shuddled them myself (not a problem for me). I guess I just thought they could have been more helpfull. The decore was a bit outdated and just didn't have anything extra or special for the money.

• Stayed July 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2009

While the resort is nice, the rooms are some of the worst I've ever stayed in. They are musty and damp. The work out room was horrible. The equipment was old and half broken. The food in their restaurant was mediocore at best. The only positive I have to say about the property is that the location is close to Sandusky and has a nice golf course attached to it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Huron hotels

Reviewed August 3, 2009

My wife found an ad in our local paper about this place. I never heard of it before and checked TripAdvisor. Most people had something good to say, and some didn't. So I went here with sort of medium expectations. I was pleasantly surprised how clean the place was. The room was recently renovated and all common areas seemed new even though the resort has been around for a number of years. The grounds and landscaping were all in great shape. The place is surrounded by a golf course and condo's. You can take a short walk to the lake past a small marina. They have putt-putt, a volley ball area, 2 pools (indoor and out). Food on site was great, and there is another restaurant within walking distance by the marina. In Sandusky, they had a thing called the Party at the Plaza with a band, beer, food. Although not much else is happening there. If you want to go to restaurant row and other shopping you need to down RT 250 outside of town. Cedar Point is about 5min down the road. We booked the Resort package that gave us a night, plus tickets on the Jet Express to Put-in-Bay and breakfast. Then we bought another night as well. Beware the Jet-Express is in name only. It still took 45 min to get to P.B because it stops at Kelly's Island first.
All-in-All, I would definitely recommend staying here. I will be back next year !

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I read a few reviews of the Sawmill Creek Resort and found some things needed to be updated. The ice machines I saw are a delivery system style, no longer a big tub of ice that you scoop out. They do have a business center that is free for guests. 3 internet connected computers with the most common office suites available, and a laser printer for use.
The website really didn't convince me that I would like the place. When we arrived I was pleased with the grounds, the atmosphere, the whole experience. The place was super clean, the public restrooms, lobbies, restaurants, the game room, the pools, and rooms.
The politeness of the staff was worth recognizing. If someone did not know an answer to a question, they found out the answer for you.
This place is very convention/business meeting minded. I got the impression that they get the majority of their business from corporate meetings/getaways. They had big halls, medium sized rooms, and small offices for meetings. I wouldn't mind going there for a meeting. The grounds are very nice and relaxing.
The pools were very clean. The larger outdoor pool was very nice and they had a smaller indoor pool with a warm tub. I saw warm tub as it wasn't really hot.
The pics on the site make the place seem a little dated, but when you see the grounds, the rooms, and the decor, you understand it, and it is well taken care of. There were workers everywhere maintaining the place. From groundskeepers, to plumbers, to cooks, and housekeepers. They were all very visible and also doing something.
The room was super clean, the linens and towels were also very fresh. My only negative was the comfort of the bed. I would have liked a foam or pillowtop mattress instead of the typical hotel mattress. It was a bit stiff but I have slept on worse.
The in room internet connection was very fast. There is a nice desk with extra plugs attached to it. The tv was a CRT with a decent channel selection.
The grounds were nice to walk around on. Right on the lake, it was an enjoyable walk. Next time I will bring the bikes to go to the nearby nature preserve.
The breakfast buffet was good also. No complaints there.
You are a few minutes from Cedar Point.
I found the whole experience relaxing. The pools were not overrun by wild kids. The children that were there were pretty respectful of others.
Oh, one additional complaint was that the nearby room doors would slam hard. Guests need to remember that they have neighbors.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
Reviewed May 26, 2009

A friend of mine got married in Sandusky, had the reception in Huron, and it was recommended we stay here. It was great! Very clean, exactly what we needed. It's not a four star hotel, but if you're expecting four stars in Huron, you might want to rethink. It was a great hotel for groups, tons of room. The pool was nice (indoor and out), I had looked at pictures before we went and was pleasantly surprised, it was nicer than I thought it would be. The decor was a little cheesy, but it was fun. The bar and restaurant was very nice. They had an entertainer in the bar, and there were a good amount of people there having fun.

The room was tidy, the floors were nice, carpet was cushier than mine at home! Bathroom was clean, had a hairdryer and a built in magnified mirror on the wall. The shower curtain was very basic and could have been nicer, but not bad. The shower head needed replaced, but it worked. And after a long wedding, all I needed was some hot water!

The people I met at the front desk were very nice, check in and check out were very quick and easy. Overall it was very nice. We are already talking about going back to stay when we visit Cedar Point!

The location is close to downtown Sandusky, about 15 minutes. Close to the Jet Express and Cedar Point. Good experience overall!

• Stayed May 2009
chicago
Reviewed April 5, 2009

terrible beds, thin walls, awful shower. The mattresses were the cheapest you can buy. The walls were so thin I can hear the conversation next door. The shower head came up to my chest and had to bend in all sorts of positions to take a shower and wash my hair. The rooms were so bad that we went to the bar to have a drink so that we would be able to fall asleep on the awful beds, but they were closed. 10:30 Friday night. The only thing good about this hotel is the Breakfast. For 150/night I can stay at a gorgeous hotel on Waikiki beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chitown07
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We used this hotel as our base when visiting Cedar Point, and whilst this hotel had the best reviews out of all the hotels within close proximity to Sandusky, there wasn't anything special about this hotel. We stayed in the Ottawa block and had great difficulty parking close to it. There was no evidence of any bell hop and nor were we asked if we required help. We were on the upper level which does not seem to be serviced by an elevator which was gruesome when you are carrying more than a week's worth of luggage. The block appeared dated and in need of a renovation. On the upside - we got an immediate reimbursement for the internet (which we could not get to work), our room was spotlessly clean and the beds and pillows extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, we did not get chance to sample the lodge's restaurants as they closed at 10:00pm, (same time as Cedar Point) but we did sample food at Mulligans Pub which was nice enough but had very little choice. Visited the Shake and Steak thankfully who are open 24 hours which was excellent.

• Liked — Room was clean and the bed and pillows comfortable
  • Disliked — Dated appearance and poor service with luggage
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank jayteel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
South Beach Resort Hotel
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!