“Alot for your money”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Sandusky, Ohio
“Alot for your money”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We never been to Sandusky before and road the motorcycles down for Ohio Bike week. We are in our 50's and wanted someplace away from the party so we could have the best of both worlds. . Sawmill Creek Resort took us by surprise. We wanted for nothing! On site restaurants, bars, golf course, marina, coffee shop, gift store, boutique, private beach, tennis courts and there was probably more we didn't even know.. The décor is right up my alley with an indoor log cabin feel and with native American décor. LOVED THE LOBBY FIREPLACES and outdoor patios. So much comfort in and out of the hotel. Sure it could use a little upgrading in the rooms but the comfort was there, and it was clean. We are going for our 2nd year now. I don't think other hotels can offer near what Sawmill does. Their Salmon Run restaurant food was excellent and a real fun band on the weekends in the lounge.
If you go Ohio bike week your only like 6 or 7 miles away from the block party-ask for the bike week discount price!
The only thing I missed was a hot tub. it was cold at night and a hot tub would make this a 5 star resort in my book.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
sawmillcreek, Front Office Manager at Sawmill Creek Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for choosing Sawmill Creek Resort for your stay. I was glad to read that you enjoyed all that we offer. Sawmill Creek Resort prides itself in providing a wide variety of things to do and see while here. Our Black Bear Saloon features live music every Saturday and Bike Week is something that draws people to the area. Thank you and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Irmo
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Was here for a family reunion and thought that it was great. Wish there was an elevator near our room. The fact there wasn't made it cumbersome to load and unload our things. Other than that it was a beautiful area on Lake Huron! If they updated the rooms this could be an outstanding place!

Stayed July 2013
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband wanted to surprise me with a romantic trip to Cedar Point and a resort style hotel. He booked here based on the website and their claims of top-notch luxury. He paid a few hundred dollars for us to stay here, too. What a rip off and disgusting place to stay! The decor has not been changed or updated since the place opened in the 70s, I would assume. Every thing looks old, faded, dusty, and dirty. I will never stay here again if I have a choice. I'm sure there are much worse places to stay, but this one I would not repeat. They are way over-priced and leave much to be desired.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank batgirljami

Travelers are raving about these Huron hotels

Youngstown, Ohio, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Booked 2 nights at The Lodge, and was very apprehensive after reading previous reviews. These 1-2 star reviews couldn't be farther from the truth! This property is a hidden gem in Huron! I honestly don't think staying in a 5 Diamond rated hotel will make some of these travelers happy. From the second we pulled onto the property, a total sense of serenity envelops you. The staff at the front desk made check-in fast and painless. We had a Fireplace room with 2 double beds and I was asked if I had any preference of the location of the room. I told the clerk that this was our 1st time here, so it was up to her to provide a good choice. She didn't disappoint, giving us a 1st floor room overlooking beautiful pine trees with the golf course in the background. The room was spacious and welcoming. The restaurant in the hotel served excellent food whose price is commensurate with that of a resort on a gold course. They offer a short tour of the property and even though the person that normally does the tours was off that day, one of the front desk employees offered to take us thru the property anyway. Addressing the reviews that say this hotel is "dated"...I saw not much "dated". The design of the resort is American Indian and a Lodge. Plushy chairs and fireplaces...very cozy.
The only things that prevented me from an Excellent rating was that the mattresses were a bit worn and the wait staff at breakfast lacked promptness and personality. In fact, one waitress was very rude.
Bottom line, a nice hotel with a golf course and easy access to a walking trail thru the adjacent Nature Preserve.

Room Tip: Take the short tour of property offered at front desk.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Michele E
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We attended the Easter Buffett. While the food was adequate, the service was mediocre and pricing was deceptive. Also, we watched waitress put lemons in the drink with bare hands after cleaning tables. I question the cleanliness. I would not return.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Trip A
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Recently stayed here for a convention. The first thing I have to say is this place is extremely outdated. Second is that it is located in a pretty convenient area, about 10min away from Kalahari and Sandusky.

Because I was there for a convention I got the "convention rate" which was $110.00 a night including tax. the regular rate for this place (double bed room) is about 110.00 before tax...not too much of a difference there. Too expensive for what you get.

Checking into the room was easy but we were highly disappointed when we actually got to our room. The TVs are very old zeniths-from the 80s. Beds are very small, uneven and not extremely comfortable. Our air conditioner did not work and when we went to open the window there was no screen to keep the bugs out. Water for shower sporadically turns from cold to unbearably hot. The hotel offers food service but its extremely expensive so don't even bother. there are plenty of places to eat in the area for much cheaper.
One if the worst things was how little the staff seemed to care about the condition of the hotel or even how your stay was. On Sunday morning at 6:30 am, my whole wing of the hotel woke up to a horrible, extremely loud shrieking noise that went on for 10 minutes. Called the front desk and they said they had no idea what it was, didn't tell us to evacuate or anything.

It stopped and we went back to sleep, went to check out and asked what happened the response was "uhh, we don't know.."

Seriously just do not stay here. There are so many hotels in the area this would be my absolute last choice, and even then I think I would rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank hotelmasta1
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here overnight in a suite. The room was clean, comfortable and smelled nice. The pillows were so comfortable. Loved the fireplace. The indoor pool was big and was the perfect temperature. Our 2 year old had a blast! We loved it so much that we will definitely be returning for a family getaway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JC0701
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
South Beach Resort Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Great Wolf Lodge
Great Wolf Lodge
#6 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!