“Super!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Highland Heights, Ohio
“Super!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place was fabulous! Just stayed for a night this past weekend. I have nine-year-old triplets. We had a blast! I brought my kids and our small dog (must be crated if not in the room with your pet). The decor was not outdated, it was Native American themed. We loved this theme! The rooms were super clean and very well stocked with little items that made you feel at home. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were beautiful! There was staff everywhere always cleaning, even at midnight! The pools were stocked with pool towels too which I never see and travel a lot! The nature preserve trail was breathtaking and the beach was fabulous too! Very clean and uncrowded! We absolutely loved everything about our stay! Our dog was very welcomed too around the property as we walked him through the halls and outside :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank keetayay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Northern, NY
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We booked one night at the Sawmill Creek using Hotwire and saved quite a bit off the regular rate. Check in was a breeze. We found our room ready and clean. The decor admittedly is a bit old-fashioned, kind of like a lesser version of Disney's Wilderness Lodge sort of style, but it was neat and quirky in a good way. The staff didn't impress us much. We asked when one of the onsite restaurants was open, "I don't know," was the response. Not, "Let me call over and see when they will be open," or "They are listed as closed this evening." Turns out they just hadn't unlocked the doors. The pool was nice, the grounds were nice and we took a nice walk around the golf course. It wasn't bad, but if we had paid full price, I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank canela42
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Althought we did not stay at the resort we rented jet skis from the marina. The wave runner was newer and in great condition. Both women that we talked to, brandy and erin I believe, were awesome. They were both professional and very down to earth, friendly and very knowlegable. The price was very readonable and overall we had a great time!! Thank you ladies.

Stayed July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights at Sawmill Creek resort for a National Dance Competition. We were charged $129 a night (considered a group rate) for a standard room. They have other types of rooms available, but they sold out of that quickly and we were unable to pick any other option. The room was disappointing. Our room was on the first floor and it smelled musty and felt moist. Friends of ours had a the same room, but on the second floor and hers was not as smelly and moist. Ask for a second floor room if you have to do a standard room. My towels and bathing suits would not dry, even though I hung them up. Everything we sat on felt like it was moist. I felt like I was sleeping in someone's wet basement. The bedspread was from 1980s. I didn't feel the room was necessarily dirty, but wasn't comfortable due to the moistness in the room. Had a hair dryer in the room. Had an old alarm clock, that I couldn't figure out how to set. Had a TV. We would have liked to have had a refrigerator but ours did not come with one and they apparently were out of them. Wifi was spotty, not always able to pick it up in the room.
I would have to say for the cost of this room I was very disappointed.
The rest of the facilities were pretty nice I thought. The convention room was large for the national's dance competition. The food in the restaurant at The Salmon Run was decent. They offered specials for our dance group every day , so I felt like they weren't gouging us with overpriced food, but also had a decent menu. I thought the food was good.
The reservation area was nice and always had a fire going. Also had a little area, inside, near pool, that had 2 fireplaces, it was nice for our dance studio to congregate later in the evening. They didn't really bother us or complain that we were being loud. They allowed us to stay in the pool area longer than it was open since adults were supervising the kids. Which was nice. They have 2 large pools and lots of areas to lounge around the pools. One pool was inside and was warm and heated. The kids never wanted to leave that area. Also had a large hot tub near the indoor pool. We spent our time off dancing at the pools and the kids seemed to enjoy that part of hotel.
They had a small coffee shop near pool that had a small menu, sold some alcohol, smoothies and ice cream. Was able to buy some breakfast foods in the morning there. Kids were disappointed in the ice cream selection. The first few days only had vanilla and moose tracks. Then one day they had butter pecan. No chocolate until the last night we were there. Disappointed. We like chocolate.
The facility has other restaurants nearby on the grounds , we never tried them.
They also have a Marina that we never got to use (again, we were there for a dance competition) . Looked nice though.
Able to walk to Lake Erie beach from facility, about a 10min walk or they will take you there if you ask on a golf cart, I believe. We just walked, it was an easy walk. Looked nice. Didn't stay long. Had a few chairs on the beach.
Looks like they have other types of places there such as patio homes and townhomes. They looked nice from the outside. Unsure if they are rentals or if they are owned by someone.
Looks like the golf course was nice that was there. Seemed to take good care of the grounds.
They also had a few shops near the entrance to the resort, but we didn't get to go in them.
They had bike rentals also.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lara L
Italy
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was there for 2 nights due to a conference, the rooms are very poor and even found it NOT clean. For this I blame immediately to the reception but could not change the room since it was fully booked. They wanted to send the cleaner but at the end nothing occur. Even the facilities were poor there was no WiFi in the room and cable was required which is supplied but at the didn’t work!
Rooms are miserable and nor refurbished, specially the one at second floor. BTW it smell horrible they spray home deodorant which turn out to be not pleasant at all, that means that something needs to be hided. The price is even too high for what you get, the good thing we had a discount due to the conference.
The only positive thing is the surrounding with the golf field and the staff which were nice.

Room Tip: ask for rooms at the ground floor they should be a bit better as they are partially refurbished
1 Thank smagnab

Travelers are raving about these Huron hotels

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here five nights while he attended a conference. We had a king room, with fireplace and refrigerator, which was spacious and clean, with lots of towels. Two things we did not like were the noisy air conditioner and the noisy bathroom fan that had no separate switch. Light on, fan on.

While I agree with others that the lodge rooms are dated, the meeting rooms, lobby, and sitting areas are quite pleasant with their rustic outdoorsy decor.

We ate lunch at Salmon Run restaurant and found the staff and the food fine. We dined one night at the Marina and found the food outstanding.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but we are not super fussy about things, especially when there are friends to do things with, like go to Cedar Point, and explore the nearby nature preserve.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The staff at the hotel is very nice and helpful, but that's about the end of the good qualities. The hotel is overpriced for what you get. The rooms are in need of a major update! I didn't realize it until it was too late, but there is only one elevator. Once I found the building my room was in, I realized that the elevator was back in the lobby. Nowhere on the property is there a good map to figure out where you are at/where you need to go. Additionally, I was extremely disappointed when I went to work out to find that they gym had old equipment and stained carpet. While the staff is nice and friendly, they don't make up for the other issues of the hotel.

1 Thank Marty T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Quality Inn Cedar Point
Hampton Inn Sandusky-Central
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Castaway Bay
Castaway Bay
#9 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!