“Awesome Place to Stay”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Jefferson Ohio
“Awesome Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Went with my sister this past June and it was GREAT.
Hotel has a friendly staff at desk.Clean room comfortable beds.
Pool clean and spa was great also.
We had a great time for seniors.
Food at the restaurants was very good and not expensive.
Breakfast Buffet was the best I have had in a long time.
Entertainment at the lounge was good.
Bought items at the shop and they had a nice selection of items to sell.
Will go again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great place on Lake Erie. If you are travelling with children, you might not be so enamored but after a full day of riding Roller Coasters with nieces & nephews, this place was truly a find! The staff was exceptional, the bar equally great and the food, outstanding! We will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I just traveled to sawmill with my family (13 total). We had a truly wonderful time. This resort is very nice and has a very helpful and courteous staff. It's true the rooms are very outdated and a little pricey for what you get. Double beds should be updated to queens and they really should offer a fridge and microwave in each room since a lot of people come here for an extended stay but all in all we loved the facility. There were lots of common areas with tables and comfy couches for us to all gather and hang out and play games. (these areas were freezing and the wifi wasnt great but they did have a cozy fire going at all times) The grounds are pretty well maintained and the pools are nice. It was kind of weird that the hot tub wasn't hot....same temp as the pool which was a bit disappointing. The beach was really nice and clean and private but it was an extremely long walk to get there (15-20 min). The front desk is happy to have someone drive you down in a golf cart and then will come back and get you when you're done. We would definitely stay here again but would love to see a few more amenities for the price....it really does lack some standard luxury's we've had at most resorts we've stayed at in the past. I can't say enough that the staff was great and very helpful at all times always willing to offer us anything we needed for the kids and always willing to say hi and offer a smile.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Saw Mill Creek Resort along with several other friends in town for a wedding. While our brief visit didn't give us enough time to see the full grounds, we did benefit from terrific customer service. One of our party left a watch in their room, which the front desk tracked down and was able to get it to another member of our party who hadn't left yet. I left my iphone in the room, which the housekeeper found and brought to the front desk. The front desk manager shipped it back to me at home. In both cases, the staff were very understanding and helpful and went out of their way to track down and return out items.

It was clear that the value of providing great customer service is something the employees at the resort take very seriously and their genuine courtesy and helpfulness was much appreciated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Hmmm...where do I begin? I guess I'll just provide bullet points:

- Quite expensive for the age/quality of the rooms (read more below)
- Most of the staff was very friendly/helpful, but a few of the younger (high school aged?) staff members (working the front desk) could use some interpersonal skillset improvements.
- Hotel exterior and interior (rooms) are badly in need of a significant update. Dated/worn bedspreads, carpet, and flooring. Ancient tube TV sets (with poor reception) and marginal, wired-ONLY internet access.
- Showering was an "experience". If you set the water on the cool side, you're guaranteed to be periodically frozen all throughout your shower. If you set the water on the warm side, you're guaranteed to be scalded several times. It's almost as if your next door neighbor is constantly flushing the toilet while you're taking a shower and it drastically affects water temperature (no matter what time of day).
- Incredibly noisy air conditioning unit -- I suspect that the air conditioner could be heard across the Canadian border. Good luck sleeping at night if you stay during the summer.
- Food was mediocre
- The rooms were clean
- The best part of the resort was the golf course. It was quite beautiful and nicely manicured.

I don't mean for the review to sound cruel because I certainly have had worse experiences. It is just that the price for a room at the resort is so expensive (like a 4 star resort), but yet it appears the resort owners have not updated anything. Rooms in 1 and 2 star hotels we've stayed in are sometimes nicer. Owners, please spend some money updating the resort -- you could have a major area attraction if you did. Even if you addressed a FEW of the items above, I think you'd receive more favorable reviews. The place certainly has potential.

Room Tip: No comment.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David D

Travelers are raving about these Huron hotels

detroit
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We just got our bill for the last two days and we not only paid the usual taxes but got taxed thirty four dollars for our two day Romance Package. That was never made clear when I booked this two night stay by the person I talked to over the phone.
The acreage is beautiful, the Salmon restaurant was great. The indoor and outdoor pool were super. The rooms need a lot of updating. The bathtub was slippery and without handrails. The sink did not drain properly and you had to hold the toilet handle down to flush. No flat screen t.v. or Internet connection in the room. Our carpet had dark stains on it and the bed was hard and you could hear and feel the springs when you sat on it. There was a musty smell also. But I will say the cleanliness was superb.
While swimming in the outdoor pool we noticed a tile missing and also the thatched roofing on the hotel looked like it was going to fall off in places. There was a train close by that I seemed to hear a lot at night and around the pool. I liked our package amenities until we saw the tax. I think the woman in the deli and the one at the front desk could have been nicer too.

• Stayed August 2012
Easley, South Carolina
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,052 helpful votes
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights (7/27 and 7/28) while in town for a family reunion. Hotel was chosen for us,otherwise, I would have stayed elsewhere. The room that we were assigned #1106 had an odor that was just bad......combination of mildew and musty. The only way to alleviate this somewhat was to crank the air conditioner and that made the room damper than it already was.

The bedding and carpet were actually damp to the touch. The type of carpet that was chosen for the room was not appropriate.......it needed to be a much shorter variety. If the entire room was hardwood like the entry way and bathroom maybe the smell would not have been as bad. It is lovely to walk from the shower area to the bed and your feet have dirt stains on them from the damp carpet. Kids were warned to not walk around in their white socks.

I know nothing is going to change at this place. They make their money during the fairly short season that they have. Ordinarily, I would never stay in a hotel that offers full-size bedding (that was not very comfortable) and doesn't even provide a fridge in the room for $139 dollars a night. They now have my $300 plus dollars and we have the crappy experience of staying at this property.

The common areas are very nice. The 2 pools were nice to the eye. BUT at the end of the day the room was terrible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank abcjjl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
South Beach Resort Hotel
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites

Been to Sawmill Creek Resort? Share your experiences!