“DISGUSTING AND HORRIBLE” 1 of 5 bubbles

Quality Inn Cedar Point
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Huron
“DISGUSTING AND HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My son and I booked a room here to visit family in the area for the 4th of July. After searching the area for other hotels this was the only one that was half way reasonable, or had any rooms available for the dates we needed the room. Even with a military discount it was way over priced for the property. If there was a CATEGORY FOR A MINUS IN CLEANLINESS AND OTHER AREAS IT WOULD DEFINITELY BE INHOSPITABLE IN MY OPINION. The room I reserved was a smoking room and it was utterly disgusting. Just because an individual smokes that does not mean that they want to "LIVE IN AN ASHTRY"! The walls were caked with tar & nicotine and there was no exhaust in the bathroom for the steam from the shower to vent. this resulted in years of yellow accumulated tar running down the walls, and not just in the bathroom either. The room smelled and was utterly disgusting. The carpet had a myriad of stains on it and looked as if it had not been cleaned thoroughly since it was installed. The sink that is in the room in the vanity had a broken sink stopper, it was seized shut so each time the water was used to brush our teeth or anything else the water stood in it until we used our fingers or something else to pull the stopper open to get the water to drain. The owner of the property obviously does not care too much about the guests or the property itself. IT IS BLATENTLY OBVIOUS THAT WHOM EVER OWNS THE FRANCHISE IS ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY AND NOTHING ELSE!
THEY ARE SO CHEAP THAT THERE ARE NO TRASH BAGS IN THE WASTE RECEPTACLES, NOR DOES HOUSEKEEPING HAVE ANY. THERE IS NO SHOWER CURTAIN LINER INSTALLED INSIDE THE SHOWER CURTAIN. EACH TIME SOMEONE USES THE SHOWER THE WATER SATURATES THE FLOOR AND MAKES A MESS ALL OVER, AS WELL AS THE STEAM ACCUMLATING IN THE BATROOM AS A RESULT OF NO EXHAUST VENT TO VENT THE BATHROOM. Moreover, when the shower was used the drain stop would not stay open to let the water out. You had to continuously open it up so you were not standing ankle, of calf deep in dirty water. The base of the toilet had black mold all around the base of it and I had to clean it before we could even use the bathroom.
The very first day when we woke up and attempted to take a shower there was "NASTY BROWNISH/BLACK WATER OOSING OUT OF THE FAUCET AND THE WATER STOPPED" When I called the desk they knew nothing about it and I told the clerk, there is no water after the sludge had discharged into the bath tub. I had heard someone banging and using tools just prior to that time as if they were in the room next door. Shortly thereafter the front desk clerk came to the door and stated that the maintenance personnel were working on the plumbing in the bathroom directly above us and would be finished shortly. Shortly was in excess of 30 minutes and then we were told that we would have to hurry because they were not finished working on the plumbing. The Sheets and Pillow Cases even had yellowish stains on them. Who knows when the Duvet Covers were last washed properly. The so called Breakfast is nasty. THE OWNER IS SO CHEAP THAT THERE WERE HOME MADE MUFFINS THAT APPARENTLY SOMEONE HAD MADE FROM A JILLY MUFFIN MIX AT HOME! SINCE WHEN DOES ANY EMPLOYEE OR THE OWNER HAVE THEIR PERSONAL/RESIDENTIAL KITCHEN INSPECTED FOR FOOD HANDLING AND SANITATION BY THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT. THE ONLY TYPE OF YOGURT OFFERED WAS TRIX YOGURT FOR KIDS IN ONE FLAVOR!
The bread and bagels that they did have smelled stale and were all dried out. They did offer sausage and scrambled eggs. The smell emanating from the hot items was thoroughly disgusting, I would not even contemplate serving it to my dog! The juice in the dispenser was so watered down that it did not even taste like juice. When I asked the housekeeping staff for some coffee packets for the room the response was that there is coffee available at the end of the corridor outside the breakfast room. At least the coffee I made in the room did not taste as if someone had re-used the coffee grounds two or three times. I shutter to think about the last time the coffee dispensers were last cleaned properly. The front desk clerk was very helpful and accommodating with what he had to work with. I had gone to the front desk to get the room key card re-activated and ask for a "DO NOT DISTURB" plaque to place on the outside of the door. When I stepped in the area where the washer and dryer are for the linen and storage for supposedly clean linen, where the clerk was folding towels, the sheets were just rolled up on filthy wooden shelving with the other supplies for housekeeping. THEY DID NOT EVEN HAVE ANY "DO NOT DISTURB PLAQUES'" in their supplies. Because it was the 4th of July holiday I was unable to find a room in the immediate area for the subsequent dates after the first day we were there. They had the nerve to charge us in excess of $100.00 for the night of the 4th! WHAT A JOKE! In most other hotels/motels the safes that are in the room are included with the room fee. THEY HAVE THE AUDACITY TO CHARGE AN ADDITIONAL FEE EACH NIGHT FOR THE USE OF THE SAFE! What if the customer does not use it?? IT IS JUST THEIR WORD OVER THE BILLING OFFICE. There is no way that they can verify that the safe is being utilized unless they personally go into each room and verify that it is being utilized. So there is an additional charge for an unsatisfactory, outdated, run down room that should have been updated and cleaned thoroughly a hundred times over. I am going to make sure that I share my experience with any military travel services to warn them of the substandard conditions of this property! Moreover, for anyone is considering staying here, DON'T DO IT! The very first thing I did was check the sheets and bedding for "BED BUGS"! You know that the room is disgusting when you want to make sure that you wear shoes at all times when walking on the floor and carpet. Or when you walk into your room and there is a Dirty Broom sitting inside the doorway! That was the first thing that we saw when entering the room. We did not go in the pool because if the interior of the hotel looks and smells like it does I do not want to even know what is present in the water of the pool. Pool chemical are expensive and if the owner is too cheap to buy plastic bags for the waste paper cans in the rooms, I cannot even imagine what else they are cutting corners on. The saying: "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IS ALL TOOOO TRUE"! Spend an extra $20 - $40.00 and you will be able to sleep with ease and comfort.

Dianne F

Room Tip: Do not stay here! Find a property that is more up-to-date and clean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
holland,michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed June 25th thru 27th. Room was ok....a little small for 5 people,and they did not have any roll aways. Price was ok compared to other CP hotels. About 15 min drive to/fom the park. Quite neighborhood setting and close to marina. far from everything else. Pool was horrible, and I wouldn't let my kids swim in it. Needs refurbishing/ updating. Staff nice, breakfast was ok. This hotel is ok if you are just planning on sleeping there. no other activities, or amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Waterford, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Shower was noisy (scared my son) and the whole room smelled musty and moldy. Breakfast wasn't that great and there is nothing memorable about it. The room was showing age. Location was amidst vacant businesses, though convenient to Cedar Point. One bed was sagging and uncomfortable. I moved the binder on the desk and it was dripping wet below. No towels in the pool area, and the water temp was cooler than desirable.

Basically, stay on the main road (Milan), or check out the "mom-and-pop" hotels on route from here to Cedar Point.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Huron hotels

Michigan City, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

the person running breakfast is the rudest prson i've ever met. We came in there 5 min. before closing and she screamed at us(my son included) that she was done. All we wanted was fruit,and there was a full bowl sitting there, she then tried to close the door on my son's foot, i should have called the cops. the bathroom heater vent had inches of dust. the screens on the pool room were cut which made me worry about safety. and when needed a desk person at night could get anyone, dont know where they were??

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christie S
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family checked into the facility on Sat. morning and was greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk, she was very informative about the surrounding area. Our rooms were very clean and well kept and the pool area was also nice (a little chilly for me but not bad). The staff was wonderful and helpful each time we needed them. At the time of our check out my husband became very ill with what seemed to be a heart attack, when I approached the front desk to inquire about the nearest hospital not only did she print out directions to the hospital but she called the emergency medics that appeared within minutes and transported my husband to the hospital, at that time she informed my family we didnt have to check out and we could stay free of charge the rest of the day if needed. The breakfast bar was also nice and kept well stocked during the time frame for breakfast, hot and cold. I would stay here again without concern or hesitation, our stay was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

the doors are awkward to manage for the able-bodied.
Our room had a musty odor -- thank goodness for lysol!
Not enough parking spots -- parking overflow is supposed to go nextdoor, but you have to go out on the road to get there.

Room Tip: My daughter's room on second floor did not have musty smell
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aeyates
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
Comfort Inn River's Edge
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#4 of 35 in Sandusky
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Been to Quality Inn Cedar Point? Share your experiences!