“Not Bad”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Amherst, Ohio
“Not Bad”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I felt this was a safe option after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, and we were not disappointed. It seemed a better option than some of the choices in Sandusky, most of which had some bad reviews. The pool and hot tub were nice, except the switch for the jets on the hot tub did not work. They happily brought us extra sheets and towels since there were not enough in the room. I thought the price was a little high, but not too bad. Here are our complaints:
-The floor was dirty, but it was a hard surface and easily cleaned with a wet towel. We took up a lot of dirt, though.
-Nobody even looked under or behind the bed or the sofa. There was garbage, large pieces of garbage, that would be easy to spot, but you actually have to look.
-The water pressure was really low, so it took a long time to get hot water from the faucets. Fortunately, the shower was normal.
-The drain in the sink in the kitchenette (we had a suite) was really funky and had not been detailed in a while.
-Part of the fold out sleeper sofa that holds up the foot of the mattress was broken and left in disrepair. I would hope that not all of them were like this.
-The sofa and the mattress appeared to be soiled, with no attempt to be cleaned. We made our kids sit on the comforter, and then put the comforter on the mattress before we put the sheets on it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MandaBennett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Clemente, California
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Yes, this place shares space next to Arby's and RV and truck space with Wendy's.

Yes, there's a rare train that passes through, but not enough to be bothersome.

When I walked in it seemed a comfortable place. The front desk person was very nice and cordial and my dog was provided with a little mini amenity of a biscuit and poop bag.

For $5 extra online on an off night I splurged and stayed in a suite. Man, the thing seemed like IKEA went to summer camp. I was excited to see a nifty window seat and couldn't wait to try it out.

It was almost like two distinct rooms and the TV didn't know which one to pick from. The floors are laminate wood and my dog didn't mind clicking around on them. However, the refrigerator didn't like when I walked anywhere close to it (even on the other side if the island and would buzz loudly). I actually had to sleep in the other bed to stop the sound.

Despite the nifty furnishing and setup there were numerous times throughout the evening and night where I was freaked out someone was coming into the room. Had I not bolted and locked the door myself I would've sworn they walked into my room. I could clearly hear talking in the hallway and when my neighbors first walked in their room. It was creepy.

Creepier still was this clicking that started when I turned out the lights. Maybe they were cooling down but it irked me so that I had to sleep with a light on. I was just waiting for something to get me...even with my dog there.

I somehow managed some sleep. I felt guilty I couldn't tell the front desk guy the truth when he asked about my style. I just gritted my teeth and said, "It was niiiiice."

I also made the mistake in the evening to go in the back of the motel in early June to let my dog go potty because apparently there's a flock of mosquitoes (giants, too) who use the back side to rest and prepare to attack. Thinking I was safe at 11am to try the same dangerous route was still a mistake ...the gardeners even watched me battle the beasts helplessly.

My biggest regret was not leaving the cleaning crew a tip when I left because of my need to use both beds and leaving Wendy's bags sticking out of the garbage. They were super friendly and my dog enjoyed meeting them as we left in the morning.

The staff were terrific. If I was heading to the amusement park I would return -- if I had a seance done first.

Although I enjoyed sitting in the window and the concept of stealing sleep and an IKEA store, the discomfort I felt about the noises (both neighborly and otherworldly) were more than I could handle. I'm sorry to say I won't be back.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank bozobarr
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I previously stayed at this property in 2008 when it was still a Microtel, and I thought it was excellent back then. I stayed here again last summer under the new 'Motel 6' management, and thought it was still a great hotel! First of all, you cannot beat the price....$40 a night! My brother and I stayed at this hotel both times while visiting Cedar Point. All we require is a safe location, a comfortable bed, and cleanliness...and this had it all. The beds and pillows are comfortable, the linens are always clean(trust me, I checked everything!), and the parking lot is well-lit. They even have a pool...it used to be open 24 hours when it was a Microtel, and I believe it has 'normal pool hours' now, but you cannot beat soaking in that hot tub after a long day riding roller coasters! The front desk staff that we encountered were always friendly and helpful about giving directions. There is an Arbys right next door, and a Wendys across the street that stays open decently late if you need to grab a quick bite. And as for the train that everyone keeps complaining about...I've stayed on both sides of the hotel and I have never ONCE been woken up by the train. Now granted, we might have been in Millennium Force comas...but still..haha. But really, you can't hear it. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody going to Cedar Point...the hotels in the park are like 3 or 4 times the price and I've heard they are nasty! Use the extra money you are saving and buy some souvenirs!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ash_Iheartcoasters
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The first night of the stay was ok except for a kid stomping up above our room.Was suprised to see that they deliver newspapers to each of the rooms.We came back to our room from being out and saw that our bed had been made and fresh towels etc.

The stay was ok except our little dog was having trouble walking on the new wood flooring.

Room Tip: Don't really have a tip.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cherie680
Cincinnati ohio
Reviewed May 12, 2012

my girlfriend and i stayed at this motel 6. staff was friendly first night was good train didn't bother me next night before turning in a kid above our room was running back and forth i went to the front desk to complain 3 times guess the parents told him to get into bed... so around 7:30am he jumped up and down again woke us up from a sound sleep told the front desk, cedar point was opening up today.. so i got on the chair and banged on the ceiling, i reccomeded they put a sign on the fronst desk where it says quiet time from 10pm to 8 like they do at campgrounds, our dog had a hard time walking on the new floors they put down

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank megatron44
Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 21, 2012

After traveling into the night from Chicago stopped to get some shut eye and this was a good choice.NEW carpet in the halls and NO carpart in the rooms. was clean and they must have redone all the rooms they were nice and clean. great price and clean what more could you ask for.Plus free wifi. If you have to stop and stay this is the placce

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank L B
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 31, 2011

For only $60 (incl. tax) we got their 'suite' and was very happy with it. Large, clean room with a wet bar area (fridge, microwave & sink). Great deal for the price; room was clean, staff was friendly. Only complaint was the wonky placement of the non-flat screen TV, which was clearly due to the room layout. Convenient location to Cedar Point without the traffic and congestion one experiences when staying along 250. Very pleased and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
Quality Inn Cedar Point
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#5 of 35 in Sandusky
Motel 6 Sandusky-Milan

Been to Motel 6 Sandusky-Huron? Share your experiences!